* How to build Emacs in Cygwin environment?
@ 2016-07-05  6:39 Xi Shen
From: Xi Shen @ 2016-07-05  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I want to make some code change to Emacs for Windows, but first I need
to setup the build environment.

I got the Emacs git repo, and tried "config msdos", but I got
"permission denied" error. If I execute "cmd" from Cygwin bash, I can
execute "config msdos", but I got error about DJGPP. I made sure I
have install all packages with name DJGPP in them, but I still got
this error.

What else do I need?

Thanks,

Xi Shen
about.me/davidshen

* Re: How to build Emacs in Cygwin environment?
@ 2016-07-05  9:30 ` Hans-Bernhard Bröker
From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker @ 2016-07-05  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 05.07.2016 um 08:38 schrieb Xi Shen:

> I want to make some code change to Emacs for Windows, but first I need
> to setup the build environment.
>
> I got the Emacs git repo, and tried "config msdos",

That makes no sense.  That step configures Emacs to build for _DOS_, not
Windows.

* Re: How to build Emacs in Cygwin environment?
@ 2016-07-05 10:45 ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2016-07-05 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue 05 Jul 2016, Xi Shen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to make some code change to Emacs for Windows, but first I need
> to setup the build environment.
>
> I got the Emacs git repo, and tried "config msdos", but I got
> "permission denied" error. If I execute "cmd" from Cygwin bash, I can
> execute "config msdos", but I got error about DJGPP. I made sure I
> have install all packages with name DJGPP in them, but I still got
> this error.
>
> What else do I need?

You are using the build method for MSDOS - what you want is a cygwin
target, which uses the normal POSIX build machinery.

Build instructions are in the file INSTALL.REPO at the top of the repo.
For the w32 build (which uses the Win32 GUI rather than X11), you will
need to configure using "--with-w32".

    AndyM

* Re: How to build Emacs in Cygwin environment?
@ 2016-07-07  0:54   ` Xi Shen
From: Xi Shen @ 2016-07-07  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So I should execute "config --with-w32" inside a cygwin environment?

Xi Shen
about.me/davidshen

@ 2016-07-07 11:31     ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2016-07-07 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu 07 Jul 2016, Xi Shen wrote:

> So I should execute "config --with-w32" inside a cygwin environment?
>

> Xi Shen
> about.me/davidshen

As I said in my previous message, read INSTALL.REPO in the emacs repo,
and follow the instructions it contains.

Use "./configure --with-w32" if you want a cygwin emacs that uses the
Win32 GUI (i.e. does not need use an X11 server for display).

    AndyM

* Re: How to build Emacs in Cygwin environment?
@ 2016-07-12  5:51       ` Xi Shen
From: Xi Shen @ 2016-07-12  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks it worked. After configure --with-w32 and build, I tried to
invoke (w32notify-add-watch), but it seems it is still not available.
Any other tricks to apply? Because I want to add a new build-in lisp
function for Emacs for Windows, so I think it would be a good start by
learning how (w32notify-add-watch) works.

Xi Shen
about.me/davidshen

@ 2016-07-12  9:17         ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2016-07-12  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue 12 Jul 2016, Xi Shen wrote:

> Thanks it worked. After configure --with-w32 and build, I tried to
> invoke (w32notify-add-watch), but it seems it is still not available.
> Any other tricks to apply? Because I want to add a new build-in lisp
> function for Emacs for Windows, so I think it would be a good start by
> learning how (w32notify-add-watch) works.

Join the FSF emacs developers list and ask questions there for issues
around emacs development.

AFAIK w32notify-add-watch is for native Win32 builds of emacs, and is
not appropriate for Cygwin builds.

    AndyM

* Re: How to build Emacs in Cygwin environment?
@ 2016-07-12 13:50           ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-07-12 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/12/2016 5:17 AM, Andy Moreton wrote:
> On Tue 12 Jul 2016, Xi Shen wrote:
>
>> Thanks it worked. After configure --with-w32 and build, I tried to
>> invoke (w32notify-add-watch), but it seems it is still not available.
>> Any other tricks to apply? Because I want to add a new build-in lisp
>> function for Emacs for Windows, so I think it would be a good start by
>> learning how (w32notify-add-watch) works.
>
> Join the FSF emacs developers list and ask questions there for issues
> around emacs development.
>
> AFAIK w32notify-add-watch is for native Win32 builds of emacs, and is
> not appropriate for Cygwin builds.

That's right.  The Cygwin builds of emacs use gfilenotify.

Ken