* OPENMPI only works on Cygwin Terminal not windows Command Line
@ 2019-10-27  3:33 William John
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: William John @ 2019-10-27  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwin,

I recently installed openmpi and libopenmpi-devel on my windows machine.
However, I cannot call mpicc on my windows cmd, rather I get "'mpicc' is
not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or
batch file". This is weird because I have added C:\cygwin64\bin
and C:\cygwin64 to my System variables. The command mpicc --version also
works on my cygwin terminal so I am kind of confused here as to what to do
with the set up. I checked the bin inside cygwin64 and I found mpicc and
mpiexec, I am just confused as to what is going on with the configuration
for my windows command line. Would it be possible to direct me to a
solution or to help me with this?

Best,

William John

* Re: OPENMPI only works on Cygwin Terminal not windows Command Line
@ 2019-10-27  7:06 ` john doe
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: john doe @ 2019-10-27  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/27/2019 4:33 AM, William John wrote:
> Dear Cygwin,
>
> I recently installed openmpi and libopenmpi-devel on my windows machine.
> However, I cannot call mpicc on my windows cmd, rather I get "'mpicc' is
> not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or
> batch file". This is weird because I have added C:\cygwin64\bin
> and C:\cygwin64 to my System variables. The command mpicc --version also
> works on my cygwin terminal so I am kind of confused here as to what to do
> with the set up. I checked the bin inside cygwin64 and I found mpicc and
> mpiexec, I am just confused as to what is going on with the configuration
> for my windows command line. Would it be possible to direct me to a
> solution or to help me with this?
>

> Best,

Did you restart the Windows host after adding the path in env var?

--
John Doe

* Re: OPENMPI only works on Cygwin Terminal not windows Command Line
@ 2019-10-27  8:48   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2019-10-27  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 27.10.2019 um 08:06 schrieb john doe:
> On 10/27/2019 4:33 AM, William John wrote:
>> Dear Cygwin,
>>
>> I recently installed openmpi and libopenmpi-devel on my windows machine.
>> However, I cannot call mpicc on my windows cmd, rather I get "'mpicc' is
>> not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or
>> batch file". This is weird because I have added C:\cygwin64\bin
>> and C:\cygwin64 to my System variables.
To which? Did you add C:\cygwin64\bin to your PATH variable?
And you don't need to restart Windows after that, just the cmd console
window.

@ 2019-10-27 15:59 ` Hans-Bernhard Bröker
From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker @ 2019-10-27 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 27.10.2019 um 04:33 schrieb William John:
> Dear Cygwin,
>
> I recently installed openmpi and libopenmpi-devel on my windows machine.
> However, I cannot call mpicc on my windows cmd, rather I get "'mpicc' is
> not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or
> batch file".

That's not really surprising, given the following:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/mpicc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 hbbro hbbro 16 29. Mrz 2019  /usr/bin/mpicc ->
opal_wrapper.exe*

There are at least two problems with trying to run this from a Windows
command prompt:

1) The file is a Cygwin-style symbolic link.  Windows native tools
haven't the slightest idea what that is, nor what to do with it.

2) The file name does not have an extension, much less one recognized by
Windows command processors as executable (like .exe)

* Re: OPENMPI only works on Cygwin Terminal not windows Command Line
@ 2019-10-27 18:56 ` William John
From: William John @ 2019-10-27 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I did add it to the Path and also restarted the computer and the command
line. I do see that the file mpicc is a symbolic link to
opalwrapper executable file and windows cannot recognize that. Is there
some way to remedy this?

@ 2019-10-27 19:21   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2019-10-27 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 27.10.2019 um 19:56 schrieb William John:
> I did add it to the Path and also restarted the computer and the command
> line. I do see that the file mpicc is a symbolic link to
> opalwrapper executable file and windows cannot recognize that. Is there
> some way to remedy this?
Change the soft link to a hard link, in cygwin, with an exe suffix.
And you really don't need to restart Windows after chaning an
environment variable.
Also, please don't "top-post" here.

@ 2019-10-27 20:04     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-10-27 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-10-27 13:21, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 27.10.2019 um 19:56 schrieb William John:
>> On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 11:33 PM William John <wj552@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>> I recently installed openmpi and libopenmpi-devel on my windows machine.
>>> However, I cannot call mpicc on my windows cmd, rather I get "'mpicc' is
>>> not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or
>>> batch file". This is weird because I have added C:\cygwin64\bin
>>> and C:\cygwin64 to my System variables. The command mpicc --version also
>>> works on my cygwin terminal so I am kind of confused here as to what to do
>>> with the set up. I checked the bin inside cygwin64 and I found mpicc and
>>> mpiexec, I am just confused as to what is going on with the configuration
>>> for my windows command line. Would it be possible to direct me to a
>>> solution or to help me with this?

>> I did add it to the Path and also restarted the computer and the command
>> line. I do see that the file mpicc is a symbolic link to opalwrapper
>> executable file and windows cannot recognize that. Is there some way to
>> remedy this?
> Change the soft link to a hard link, in cygwin, with an exe suffix.

Cygwin needs to be running Windows 10 in dev mode with WSL installed to enable
this without elevation I think.
Otherwise you will need an elevated shell, and be careful if you use mklink, as
the arguments are swapped from ln:

	> REM mklink /h LINK_NAME TARGET
	> mklink /h C:\cygwin64\bin\mpicc.exe C:\cygwin64\bin\opalwrapper.exe
	> mklink /h C:\cygwin64\bin\mpiexec.exe C:\cygwin64\bin\opalwrapper.exe

> And you really don't need to restart Windows after changing an environment
> variable.
Just close and reopen any cmd or other shell processes, including Windows File
Explorer, if necessary for Windows Shell Extensions, from Task Manager/Processes
tab/Windows Explorer/menu Restart.

> Also, please don't "top-post" here.
Show *AND* Tell ;^>

* Hard links [was: Re: OPENMPI only works on Cygwin Terminal not windows Command Line]
@ 2019-10-28  4:59       ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2019-10-28  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 27.10.2019 um 21:04 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2019-10-27 13:21, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Change the soft link to a hard link, in cygwin, with an exe suffix.
> Cygwin needs to be running Windows 10 in dev mode with WSL installed to enable
> this without elevation I think.
> Otherwise you will need an elevated shell, and be careful if you use mklink, as
> the arguments are swapped from ln:
>
> 	> REM mklink /h LINK_NAME TARGET
> 	> mklink /h C:\cygwin64\bin\mpicc.exe C:\cygwin64\bin\opalwrapper.exe
> 	> mklink /h C:\cygwin64\bin\mpiexec.exe C:\cygwin64\bin\opalwrapper.exe

Additional privileges are required for Windows *soft* links. Hard links have always worked without. You can use cygwin ln alike.

* Re: OPENMPI only works on Cygwin Terminal not windows Command Line
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-10-28 17:20 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-10-28 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William John, cygwin

Greetings, William John!

> I recently installed openmpi and libopenmpi-devel on my windows machine.
> However, I cannot call mpicc on my windows cmd, rather I get "'mpicc' is
> not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or
> batch file". This is weird because I have added C:\cygwin64\bin
> and C:\cygwin64 to my System variables.

Cygwin may use extension-less names to call programs. Something CMD can not do
without being explicitly told to.
If that's your case, you can still make symlinks to .exe'cutable names to make
them recognizable by native tools. I would suggest $HOME/bin or /usr/local/bin
for such custom symlinks.

> The command mpicc --version also works on my cygwin terminal so I am kind of
> confused here as to what to do with the set up. I checked the bin inside
> cygwin64 and I found mpicc and mpiexec, I am just confused as to what is
> going on with the configuration for my windows command line. Would it be
> possible to direct me to a solution or to help me with this?

There are two available solutions.
One is to stick to one ecosystem. If you want to use Cygwin-provided programs,
stick to Cygwin environment. It's much more obvious, although sometimes
daunting if you want to frequently use wide array of native console
applications.
Another solution is to setup your system to use Cygwin programs
transparently. It requires much care and understanding of both Cygwin and
Windows, and generally not advised to people without certain experience in
both.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: OPENMPI only works on Cygwin Terminal not windows Command Line
@ 2019-10-28 17:35     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-10-28 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff, cygwin

Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

> Am 27.10.2019 um 19:56 schrieb William John:
>> I did add it to the Path and also restarted the computer and the command
>> line. I do see that the file mpicc is a symbolic link to
>> opalwrapper executable file and windows cannot recognize that. Is there
>> some way to remedy this?
> Change the soft link to a hard link, in cygwin, with an exe suffix.

I would strongly discourage from hardlinking executable files, especially
those not explicitly controlled by you.
Next time you reinstall the package that contains the origin files, you will
get file versions mismatch between new requisite DLL's and then-linked main
executable.
If you need a link, create native symlink.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...