* Fwd: Requested report
       [not found] <CAD1QJjXeJxQMS2-mZbF1F8YcKEOa=oa3OtNcEsvTwgEJf9duiw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-11-30 19:12 ` Richard Mateosian
From: Richard Mateosian @ 2017-11-30 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

C:\Dev\Ruby24-x64\lib\ruby>ls
      1 [main] ls 8652 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD
pointer.

<cygwin@cygwin.com>*

2.4.0  gems  site_ruby  vendor_ruby
--

Richard Mateosian <xrm@pacbell.net>
Berkeley, California

* Re: Fwd: Requested report
@ 2017-11-30 19:50   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-11-30 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Mateosian, cygwin

Greetings, Richard Mateosian!

> C:\Dev\Ruby24-x64\lib\ruby>ls
>       1 [main] ls 8652 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD
> pointer.

> <cygwin@cygwin.com>*

Yet again: This issue was fixed over a decade ago. Please update your Cygwin
installation.
See http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings

> 2.4.0  gems  site_ruby  vendor_ruby

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Fwd: Requested report
@ 2017-12-01  4:42     ` Richard Mateosian
From: Richard Mateosian @ 2017-12-01  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks. I wasn't actually using Cygwin, but Ruby apparently does so under
the covers. Or maybe my path leads it astray, because I used to use Cygwin
-- a long time ago.   ...RM

@ 2017-12-01 14:55       ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-12-01 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/30/2017 11:41 PM, Richard Mateosian wrote:
> Thanks. I wasn't actually using Cygwin, but Ruby apparently does so under
> the covers. Or maybe my path leads it astray, because I used to use Cygwin
> -- a long time ago.   ...RM

You should not put Cygwin in your Windows PATH environment at the system
level or user levels.  If you need it during a command shell session,
add it after you start the command shell.  I've never heard that Ruby
intentionally uses Cygwin.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Requested report
@ 2017-12-01 15:35         ` Vince Rice
From: Vince Rice @ 2017-12-01 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Dec 1, 2017, at 8:55 AM, cyg Simple wrote:
>
> On 11/30/2017 11:41 PM, Richard Mateosian wrote:
>> Thanks. I wasn't actually using Cygwin, but Ruby apparently does so under
>> the covers. Or maybe my path leads it astray, because I used to use Cygwin
>> -- a long time ago.   ...RM
>>

> You should not put Cygwin in your Windows PATH environment at the system
> level or user levels.  If you need it during a command shell session,
> add it after you start the command shell.  I've never heard that Ruby
> intentionally uses Cygwin.

What? I've had cygwin in my path since the B19 days (that's right, even *before* the infamous B20). I regularly (and almost exclusively) use cygwin tools in the command processor; I have a mintty session open, but only use it when I need to do shell-related things.

There's no reason not to have Cygwin in the Windows path, and lots of reasons to do so (grep, cat, tail, head, etc., etc.).

* Re: Requested report
@ 2017-12-01 17:00           ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-12-01 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-12-01 08:35, Vince Rice wrote:
>> On Dec 1, 2017, at 8:55 AM, cyg Simple wrote:
>> On 11/30/2017 11:41 PM, Richard Mateosian wrote:
>>> Thanks. I wasn't actually using Cygwin, but Ruby apparently does so
>>> under the covers. Or maybe my path leads it astray, because I used to use
>>> Cygwin -- a long time ago.
Some of these packages include Cygwin RT under the covers as an install base,
and to support Ruby Gems, which is why we keep seeing FAST_CWD complaints.

>> You should not put Cygwin in your Windows PATH environment at the system
>> level or user levels.  If you need it during a command shell session,
>> add it after you start the command shell.  I've never heard that Ruby
>> intentionally uses Cygwin.
>
> What? I've had cygwin in my path since the B19 days (that's right, even
> *before* the infamous B20). I regularly (and almost exclusively) use cygwin
> tools in the command processor; I have a mintty session open, but only use
> it when I need to do shell-related things.
> There's no reason not to have Cygwin in the Windows path, and lots of reasons
> to do so (grep, cat, tail, head, etc., etc.).
+1 post TC AST/Uwin, BCpp GNUtilities, DJgpp, GnuWin32, MinGW, Msys, ...
...elevated System Scheduled Tasks using shell scripts...

* Re: Fwd: Requested report
@ 2017-12-01 18:27   ` Douglas Coup
From: Douglas Coup @ 2017-12-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Objective Systems, Inc.
REAL WORLD ASN.1 AND XML SOLUTIONS
Tel: +1 (484) 875-9841
Fax: +1 (484) 875-9830
Toll-free: (877) 307-6855 (USA only)
http://www.obj-sys.com

On 11/30/2017 2:11 PM, Richard Mateosian wrote:
> C:\Dev\Ruby24-x64\lib\ruby>ls
>        1 [main] ls 8652 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD
> pointer.

> <cygwin@cygwin.com>*

This issue is documented in the Cygwin FAQs on the web site (issue 4.46
in the list).  Basically you need to update your Cygwin to a newer version.

@ 2017-12-01 22:05         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-12-01 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cyg Simple, cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 1073 bytes --]

Greetings, cyg Simple!

> On 11/30/2017 11:41 PM, Richard Mateosian wrote:
>> Thanks. I wasn't actually using Cygwin, but Ruby apparently does so under
>> the covers. Or maybe my path leads it astray, because I used to use Cygwin
>> -- a long time ago.   ...RM
>>

> You should not put Cygwin in your Windows PATH environment at the system
> level or user levels.

Oh?…
While this is not a recommended Cygwin usage, it is a very handy shortcut to
the treasure trove if POSIX shell scripting.

> If you need it during a command shell session,

No, I just NEED it. No "session".

> add it after you start the command shell.  I've never heard that Ruby
> intentionally uses Cygwin.

Depends on the supplier.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...\x03B‹KCB”\x1c›Ø›\x19[H\x1c™\^[ܝ\x1cΈ\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÜ\x1c›Ø›\x19[\Ëš\x1d^[[\x03B‘TNˆ\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ˜\KÃB‘^[ØÝ[Y[\x18]\x1a[ÛŽˆ\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ^[ØÜËš\x1d^[[\x03B•[œÝXœØÜšX™H\x1a[™›Îˆ\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÛ[\vÈÝ[œÝXœØÜšX™K\Ú[\^[\x19CBƒB

* Re: Requested report
@ 2017-12-02  3:31           ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-12-02  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/1/2017 10:35 AM, Vince Rice wrote:
>> On Dec 1, 2017, at 8:55 AM, cyg Simple wrote:
>>
>> On 11/30/2017 11:41 PM, Richard Mateosian wrote:
>>> Thanks. I wasn't actually using Cygwin, but Ruby apparently does so under
>>> the covers. Or maybe my path leads it astray, because I used to use Cygwin
>>> -- a long time ago.   ...RM
>>>

>> You should not put Cygwin in your Windows PATH environment at the system
>> level or user levels.  If you need it during a command shell session,
>> add it after you start the command shell.  I've never heard that Ruby
>> intentionally uses Cygwin.
>
> What? I've had cygwin in my path since the B19 days (that's right, even *before* the infamous B20). I regularly (and almost exclusively) use cygwin tools in the command processor; I have a mintty session open, but only use it when I need to do shell-related things.

So?  You've just been lucky to not have had an issue.  Adding Cygwin to
the Windows PATH has been ill advised since the B19 days.  Other tools
are bound to distribute Cygwin and interfere with what you have
installed.  It happens all the time.  Not putting Cygwin's path directly
in the Windows PATH helps resolve some of the issues caused by multiple
installs of Cygwin.  However, it doesn't eliminate all of the issue.

> There's no reason not to have Cygwin in the Windows path, and lots of reasons to do so (grep, cat, tail, head, etc., etc.).

There's lots of reasons to not do so as I've mentioned above.  Yes, it's
nice to have these in a Windows command session.  You could start a
command window via a .bat file whose purpose is to set PATH before
starting cmd.exe.  This keeps other tools from seeing it.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Requested report
@ 2017-12-02  5:07             ` Vince Rice
From: Vince Rice @ 2017-12-02  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Dec 1, 2017, at 9:31 PM, cyg Simple wrote:
>
> On 12/1/2017 10:35 AM, Vince Rice wrote:

>>> You should not put Cygwin in your Windows PATH environment at the system
>>> level or user levels.  If you need it during a command shell session,
>>> add it after you start the command shell.  I've never heard that Ruby
>>> intentionally uses Cygwin.
>>
>> What? I've had cygwin in my path since the B19 days (that's right, even *before* the infamous B20).
>> I regularly (and almost exclusively) use cygwin tools in the command processor; I have a mintty
>> session open, but only use it when I need to do shell-related things.
>>

> So?  You've just been lucky to not have had an issue.  Adding Cygwin to
> the Windows PATH has been ill advised since the B19 days.  Other tools
> are bound to distribute Cygwin and interfere with what you have
> installed.  It happens all the time.  Not putting Cygwin's path directly
> in the Windows PATH helps resolve some of the issues caused by multiple
> installs of Cygwin.  However, it doesn't eliminate all of the issue.

No, I haven’t been “lucky” and no, nothing is “bound to”. I’ve never installed a single tool that
distributes cygwin.

>> There's no reason not to have Cygwin in the Windows path, and lots of reasons to do so
>> (grep, cat, tail, head, etc., etc.).
>
> There's lots of reasons to not do so as I've mentioned above.  Yes, it's
> nice to have these in a Windows command session.  You could start a
> command window via a .bat file whose purpose is to set PATH before
> starting cmd.exe.  This keeps other tools from seeing it.

You didn’t mention “lots of reasons”. You mentioned one reason — multiple installs of cygwin.
And you admitted that not having cygwin in the path doesn’t even solve all of the problems
that might arise from that issue.

If you have multiple cygwin installations, then solve that problem. There’s no reason to punish
yourself for something that *might* happen (and which has no reason to happen). And, as I
mentioned (with examples), there *are* lots of reasons TO put it in your path.

So, again, there is nothing wrong with having cygwin in the Windows path. It is silly to install
cygwin and then not be able to use the tools in day-to-day life in the command processor.