* output waring for cygwin process running at setup__.exe
@ 2018-03-18 23:50 Tatsuro MATSUOKA
From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA @ 2018-03-18 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On cygwin setup, one has to kill cygwin process to execute autorebase in the end of setup process.
I think it is better to output worning at start stage setup if cygwin process running.
Tatsuro

* Re: output waring for cygwin process running at setup__.exe
@ 2018-03-19  0:09 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-03-19  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA, cygwin

Greetings, Tatsuro MATSUOKA!

> On cygwin setup, one has to kill cygwin process to execute autorebase in the
> end of setup process.
> I think it is better to output worning at start stage setup if cygwin
> process running.

I'm not quite sure of the steps you took to come to such conclusion.
Can you please explain?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: output waring for cygwin process running at setup__.exe
@ 2018-03-19  3:05   ` Tatsuro MATSUOKA
From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA @ 2018-03-19  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, matsuoka

From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-03-19  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA, cygwin

Greetings, Tatsuro MATSUOKA!

>>>  On cygwin setup, one has to kill cygwin process to execute autorebase in
>> the
>>>  end of setup process.
>>>  I think it is better to output worning at start stage setup if cygwin
>>>  process running.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure of the steps you took to come to such conclusion.
>> Can you please explain?
>>

> Sorry for my inadequate description.
> At postinstall stage, cygwin setup execute
> /etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash,
> this sometimes fails when Cygwin process(es) is(are) alive.
> Acooding to http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall,
> we have to kill or stop cygwin porcesses and sevices before rebase.
> This is why I propose that warning messages in pre-install stage in cygwin setup.

Sounds about right.
If there's an existing Cygwin install, it is possible to run ps.exe and see if
it find any running Cygwin processes before attempting an update.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...\0ТÒÐÐ¥\a&ö&ÆVÒ\a&W\x06÷'G3¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒ÷\a&ö&ÆV×2æ‡FÖÀФd\x15\x13¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöf\x17\x12ðФFö7VÖVçF\x17F–öã¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöFö72æ‡FÖÀÐ¥Vç7V'67&–&R\x06–æfó¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöÖÂò7Vç7V'67&–&R×6–×\x06ÆPРÐ

* Re: output waring for cygwin process running at setup__.exe
@ 2018-03-19  3:56       ` Tatsuro MATSUOKA
From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA @ 2018-03-19  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>> the
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure of the steps you took to come to such conclusion.
>>> Can you please explain?
>>>

>> Sorry for my inadequate description.
>> At postinstall stage, cygwin setup execute
>> /etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash,
>> this sometimes fails when Cygwin process(es) is(are) alive.
>> Acooding to http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall,
>> we have to kill or stop cygwin porcesses and sevices before rebase.
>> This is why I propose that warning messages in pre-install stage in
>> cygwin setup.

> Sounds about right.
> If there's an existing Cygwin install, it is possible to run ps.exe and
> see if
> it find any running Cygwin processes before attempting an update.

Thank for your vote.
I hope my wish will become reality.

Tatsuro

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

--
Sent from: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Cygwin-list-f3.html

* Re: output warning for cygwin process running at setup__.exe
@ 2018-03-19  4:05       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-03-19  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-03-18 20:56, Andrey Repin wrote:

>> Sorry for my inadequate description.
>> At postinstall stage, cygwin setup execute
>> /etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash,
>> this sometimes fails when Cygwin process(es) is(are) alive.
>> Acooding to http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall,
>> we have to kill or stop cygwin porcesses and sevices before rebase.
>> This is why I propose that warning messages in pre-install stage in cygwin setup.
>
> Sounds about right.
> If there's an existing Cygwin install, it is possible to run ps.exe and see if
> it find any running Cygwin processes before attempting an update.

If there's not an existing Cygwin install, you don't really have to worry too
much about Cygwin processes running. ;^>

The docs all recommend killing all Cygwin processes *before* running setup, as
setup can not replace running exes and active dlls during the installation
phase, before postinstall rebase of replaced dlls.

If setup can not replace any exe or dll, it warns you have to restart your
system to complete the replacement. After the restart, you then have to rerun
setup with no Cygwin processes running to successfully rebase replaced dlls.

* Re: output warning for cygwin process running at setup__.exe
@ 2018-03-19  4:56         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-03-19  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis, cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 1988 bytes --]

Greetings, Brian Inglis!

>>> Sorry for my inadequate description.
>>> At postinstall stage, cygwin setup execute
>>> /etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash,
>>> this sometimes fails when Cygwin process(es) is(are) alive.
>>> Acooding to http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall,
>>> we have to kill or stop cygwin porcesses and sevices before rebase.
>>> This is why I propose that warning messages in pre-install stage in cygwin setup.
>>
>> Sounds about right.
>> If there's an existing Cygwin install, it is possible to run ps.exe and see if
>> it find any running Cygwin processes before attempting an update.

> If there's not an existing Cygwin install, you don't really have to worry too
> much about Cygwin processes running. ;^>

Yes.

> The docs all recommend killing all Cygwin processes *before* running setup, as
> setup can not replace running exes and active dlls during the installation
> phase, before postinstall rebase of replaced dlls.

> If setup can not replace any exe or dll, it warns you have to restart your
> system to complete the replacement. After the restart, you then have to rerun
> setup with no Cygwin processes running to successfully rebase replaced dlls.

The problem is, not all packages are prepared to deal with locked shared
objects (in truth, none are).
Which may leave system in an inconsistent state even after reboot.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...\x03B‹KCB”\x1c›Ø›\x19[H\x1c™\^[ܝ\x1cΈ\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÜ\x1c›Ø›\x19[\Ëš\x1d^[[\x03B‘TNˆ\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ˜\KÃB‘^[ØÝ[Y[\x18]\x1a[ÛŽˆ\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ^[ØÜËš\x1d^[[\x03B•[œÝXœØÜšX™H\x1a[™›Îˆ\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÛ[\vÈÝ[œÝXœØÜšX™K\Ú[\^[\x19CBƒB

* Re: output warning for cygwin process running at setup__.exe
@ 2018-03-19  5:35           ` Tatsuro MATSUOKA
From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA @ 2018-03-19  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Brian Inglis

> autorebase
> warning at

> cygwin setup.
>>>
>>>  Sounds about right.
>>>  If there's an existing Cygwin install, it is possible to run ps.exe
> and see if
>>>  it find any running Cygwin processes before attempting an update.
>
>>  If there's not an existing Cygwin install, you don't really have to
> worry too
>>  much about Cygwin processes running. ;^>
>
> Yes.
>
>>  The docs all recommend killing all Cygwin processes *before* running setup,
> as
>>  setup can not replace running exes and active dlls during the installation
>>  phase, before postinstall rebase of replaced dlls.
>
>>  If setup can not replace any exe or dll, it warns you have to restart your
>>  system to complete the replacement. After the restart, you then have to
> rerun
>>  setup with no Cygwin processes running to successfully rebase replaced
> dlls.
>
> The problem is, not all packages are prepared to deal with locked shared
> objects (in truth, none are).
> Which may leave system in an inconsistent state even after reboot.

Sever survice like cygsever always start after windows re-start if it is registered.
So restart does not always kill cygwin processes.
I do not want to force to  kill cygwin process by setupXX.exe but output the warning.
Tatsuro
Tatsuro

* Re: output warning for cygwin process running at setup__.exe
@ 2018-03-19  8:53             ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-03-19  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-03-18 22:56, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

>>> If there's not an existing Cygwin install, you don't really have to worry
>>> too much about Cygwin processes running. ;^>

>> Yes.

>>> The docs all recommend killing all Cygwin processes *before* running
>>> setup, as setup can not replace running exes and active dlls during the
>>> installation phase, before postinstall rebase of replaced dlls.

>>> If setup can not replace any exe or dll, it warns you have to restart
>>> your system to complete the replacement. After the restart, you then have
>>> to rerun setup with no Cygwin processes running to successfully rebase
>>> replaced dlls.

>> The problem is, not all packages are prepared to deal with locked shared
>> objects (in truth, none are). Which may leave system in an inconsistent
>> state even after reboot.

Cygwin setup uses standard Windows wininit processing to perform the
replacements on restart.

> Server service like cygserver always start after windows re-start if it is
> registered. So restart does not always kill cygwin processes. I do not want
> to force to  kill cygwin process by setupXX.exe but output the warning.
Only if a service is registered for Automatic startup: you can change this to
Manual, and restart services in a permanent last postinstall script prefix e.g.
zp_zzz_services.dash, which can also be executed by a scheduled task, before
starting Cygwin from e.g. a XWin Server taskbar or Start Menu shortcut.

Cygwin setup could operate more consistently and transparently if setup warned,
then shutdown running Cygwin services and noted them, and killed all remaining
processes, before beginning the install phase, then restarted previously noted
running services after the postinstall phase.

* Re: output warning for cygwin process running at setup__.exe
@ 2018-03-19 10:50             ` Vlado
From: Vlado @ 2018-03-19 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19.3.2018 5:56, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> Sever survice like cygsever always start after windows re-start if it is registered.
> So restart does not always kill cygwin processes.
> I do not want to force to  kill cygwin process by setupXX.exe but output the warning.

Hi,

I use script [1] for years in order to:
- allways use latest setup.exe
- stop all running Cygwin services* before setup is started
- start formerlly runnig Cygwin services after setup is done
- and more

*) services I usually run; feel free to add more services according your
needs

1: https://gist.github.com/Vlado-99/1d59bf05b70481377ff90bb53e13bb2d

Vlado

* Re: output warning for cygwin process running at setup__.exe
@ 2018-03-19 12:49               ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-03-19 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis, cygwin

Greetings, Brian Inglis!

>>> The problem is, not all packages are prepared to deal with locked shared
>>> objects (in truth, none are). Which may leave system in an inconsistent
>>> state even after reboot.

> Cygwin setup uses standard Windows wininit processing to perform the
> replacements on restart.

Does it schedule a rebase after replacement?

>> Server service like cygserver always start after windows re-start if it is
>> registered. So restart does not always kill cygwin processes. I do not want
>> to force to  kill cygwin process by setupXX.exe but output the warning.

> Only if a service is registered for Automatic startup: you can change this to
> Manual, and restart services in a permanent last postinstall script prefix e.g.
> zp_zzz_services.dash, which can also be executed by a scheduled task, before
> starting Cygwin from e.g. a XWin Server taskbar or Start Menu shortcut.

> Cygwin setup could operate more consistently and transparently if setup warned,
> then shutdown running Cygwin services and noted them, and killed all remaining
> processes, before beginning the install phase, then restarted previously noted
> running services after the postinstall phase.

Or it could rename the objects it failed to delete, and use wininit to
cleanup.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2018-03-19 16:03     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-03-19 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19/03/2018 01:09, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> Sorry for my inadequate description.
> At postinstall stage, cygwin setup execute /etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash,
> this sometimes fails when Cygwin process(es) is(are) alive.
> Acooding to http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall,
> we have to kill or stop cygwin porcesses and sevices before rebase.
> This is why I propose that warning messages in pre-install stage in cygwin setup.
> Tatsuro

In reality is better to NOT have cygwin process running before
running setup otherwise the update will fail if the
running programs od depending shared libraries are to be update

Regards
Marco