* RE: awk using program files
@ 2000-06-15 14:22 Johnson, James, CIV, OSD/PA&E
From: Johnson, James, CIV, OSD/PA&E @ 2000-06-15 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin'

Thanks so much for your kind response.  I can certainly remove the \r
characters from my awk scripts.  In past editions, setup has given me mount
points with flags of "text!=binary".  Most recent setup gives mount points
with flags of "binmode."  Is there a reason for the change?  Meanwhile, I am
off to learn more about mount points for cygwin on NT.
Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
Jim Johnson

> ----------

* Re: awk using program files
@ 2000-06-15 15:16 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-15 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin'

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 06:09:46PM -0400, David Bolen wrote:
>Johnson, James, CIV, OSD/PA&E [Jim.Johnson@OSD.PENTAGON.MIL] writes:
>
>> Thanks so much for your kind response.  I can certainly remove the
>> \r characters from my awk scripts.  In past editions, setup has
>> given me mount points with flags of "text!=binary".  Most recent
>> setup gives mount points with flags of "binmode."  Is there a reason
>> for the change?  Meanwhile, I am off to learn more about mount
>> points for cygwin on NT.  Thanks again, I appreciate your help
>
>It's really just the default that has changed in the newest releases.  The
>setup for the new net release will mount everything in binmode by default.
>You can change that if you prefer and some people (myself included) do so
>and run with textmode by default.  Just umount and then re-mount the
>filesystems you want to change.

Or, use 'mount -f' to force a remount.

cgf

* RE: awk using program files
@ 2000-06-15 15:10 David Bolen
From: David Bolen @ 2000-06-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Johnson, James, CIV, OSD/PA&E'; +Cc: 'cygwin'

Johnson, James, CIV, OSD/PA&E [Jim.Johnson@OSD.PENTAGON.MIL] writes:

> Thanks so much for your kind response.  I can certainly remove the
> \r characters from my awk scripts.  In past editions, setup has
> given me mount points with flags of "text!=binary".  Most recent
> setup gives mount points with flags of "binmode."  Is there a reason
> for the change?  Meanwhile, I am off to learn more about mount
> points for cygwin on NT.  Thanks again, I appreciate your help

It's really just the default that has changed in the newest releases.  The
setup for the new net release will mount everything in binmode by default.
You can change that if you prefer and some people (myself included) do so
and run with textmode by default.  Just umount and then re-mount the
filesystems you want to change.

-- David

 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: db3l@fitlinxx.com  /

* Re: awk using program files
@ 2000-06-15  7:23 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-06-15  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnson, James, CIV, OSD/PA&E; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

"Johnson, James, CIV, OSD/PA&E" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a question on the most recent release of cygwin:  when using awk with
> a program file, awk seems to have trouble reading past the first new line in
> the program file.  If t.awk contains:
>         {
>                 print $0
>         }
> then the command awk -f t.awk <file> generates an error message in the first
> line.  The message indicates that awk is having difficulty with the
> character immediately after the first curly bracket.
>
> Perhaps I did not install correctly.  Does anyone else have this problem?
> Thoughts on what to do?
> Thanks in advance.
> Jim Johnson

The script contains DOS line endings but the file is
in a binary mounted directory. Try to get rid of the
CR's in the script. awk isn't yet able to ignore the
CR's by itself.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen