* wmctrl not working with cygwin-x and no root window
@ 2018-07-18  1:52 Gulliver Smith
From: Gulliver Smith @ 2018-07-18  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Latest cygwin on Windows 10.

% wmctrl -l
Cannot get client list properties.
(_NET_CLIENT_LIST or _WIN_CLIENT_LIST)

I'm running cygwin x with no root window to better integrate with my
windows desktop.

I'm guessing that this error is due to the fact that there is no root
window so the C code doesn't have an object that has a
_NET_CLIENT_LIST or _WIN_CLIENT_LIST).

However, xwininfo can find the windows without any problems. Is there
an alternative to wmctrl, or a workaround?

Thanks
Gulliver

* Re: wmctrl not working with cygwin-x and no root window
@ 2018-07-19  7:56 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2018-07-19  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17/07/2018 17:16, Gulliver Smith wrote:
> Latest cygwin on Windows 10.
>
> % wmctrl -l
> Cannot get client list properties.
> (_NET_CLIENT_LIST or _WIN_CLIENT_LIST)
>
> I'm running cygwin x with no root window to better integrate with my
> windows desktop.
>
> I'm guessing that this error is due to the fact that there is no root
> window so the C code doesn't have an object that has a
> _NET_CLIENT_LIST or _WIN_CLIENT_LIST).

No, the root window exists, you just can't see it.

(If you untick the "Hide Root Window" option on the tray menu after
you've launched some clients you should be able to see what's going on.)

Unfortunately, the integrated WM used in multiwindow mode doesn't
support these EWMH hints. (what EWMH support there is has been added on
a rather ad-hoc basis)