* Re: Request to add Finnish (fi_FI) as a language for this project on Weblate
@ 2024-03-27 21:41 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-03-27 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2024-03-27 04:15, Ricky Tigg via Cygwin wrote:
> Good morning. What is the constantly renewed disappointment of having to
> note that even today there are projects whose sites are poorly constructed
> and omit essential content. As with such a site, invariably we can see that
> the same error keeps being repeated; Make it complicated for the sake of
> making it complicated. See for yourself what this resulted in at
> https://cygwin.com/: nothing about localization, and therefore nothing, nor
> about the localization contribution of the application installer
> setup-x86_64.exe. nor about the existence of the localization platform that
> this project has chosen – Weblate. So in this context, it is of course
> futile to carry out a search engine search against the keywords "cygwin"
> and "localization" in the hope of seeing the said platform cited.
>
> Finally, the very choice of this platform easily turns out to have been a
> mistake; However, it was hardly the localization platforms including a
> communication channel to contact the project maintainer that were missing
> when this choice was made. Despite this, someone from this project found a
> way to choose one whose said service was lacking. See how this leads to
> wasting the time of any new person interested in this contribution. How do
> you usually go about satisfying a request as trivial as this? Sincerely.

Cygwin is an all volunteer project: are you volunteering to provide Finnish
translations for our infrastructure and packages?

Two critical packages that would welcome Finnish localizations are Cygwin Setup
setup-x86_64 and Terminal mintty:

https://cygwin.com/git/?p=cygwin-apps/setup.git;a=blob;f=res/en/res.rc

https://github.com/mintty/mintty/blob/master/lang/messages.pot

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Request to add Finnish (fi_FI) as a language for this project on Weblate
@ 2024-03-27 10:15 Ricky Tigg
From: Ricky Tigg @ 2024-03-27 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin