* RE: symlinks not working on Samba mounted drives.
@ 2000-06-15 15:15 Billinghurst, David (CRTS)
From: Billinghurst, David (CRTS) @ 2000-06-15 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin'

Cygwin symbolic links have the system bit set.  By default, this bit is not
mapped by samba.  See "Map system" in the smb.conf documentation

* Re: symlinks not working on Samba mounted drives.
@ 2000-06-27  9:14       ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-06-27  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thursday 15 Jun 00, Corinna Vinschen writes:
> BTW: Our FAQ is not completely correct. It should be
>
> 	map system = yes
>
> instead of
>
> 	mask system = yes

Thanks, I will fix that!

Regards,
David

* Re: symlinks not working on Samba mounted drives.
@ 2000-06-15 14:17     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-06-15 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 10:00:39AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> Stephen Iribarne wrote:
> >>
> >> I checked out the FAQ on this but my version of Samba 1.9 and the
> >> latest version I have 2.03 on another Linux box must not support the
> >> options mentioned in the FAQ.
> >>
> >> When I do from my bash shell:
> >>
> >> ln -s ../main/FileFoo.h .
> >>
> >> If I look at the file that was just created it looks like
> >>
> >> !<symlink>../main/FileFoo.h^@
> >>
> >> The FAQ talks about the option mask system = yes and create mask =
> >> 0775.  I can't find anything in the Samba doc that talks about this.
> >>
> >> I've tried multiple variations...any help would be greatly
> >> appreciated.
> >
> >Creating symlinks on Samba drives is not possible with Cygwin.
> >A solution would need new versions of both, Cygwin and Samba.
>
> Actually, it is possible, you just have to follow the instructions in
> the FAQ.  If the configuration options aren't in your samba documentation
> then maybe you have an old version of samba.

Ooops, I missed that. Surprise, surprise!

BTW: Our FAQ is not completely correct. It should be

	map system = yes

instead of

	mask system = yes

Corinna

* RE: symlinks not working on Samba mounted drives.
@ 2000-06-15  9:31 Stephen Iribarne
From: Stephen Iribarne @ 2000-06-15  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Title: RE: symlinks not working on Samba mounted drives.

I checked their web online doc as well.. I'll check again. Maybe the 111 degree temp here yesterday got me all screwed up!  :)

-stv

/*
Steve Iribarne
Tut Systems, Inc.
http://www.tutsys.com
*/

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 10:00:39AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> Stephen Iribarne wrote:
>>
>> I checked out the FAQ on this but my version of Samba 1.9 and the
>> latest version I have 2.03 on another Linux box must not support the
>> options mentioned in the FAQ.
>>
>> When I do from my bash shell:
>>
>> ln -s ../main/FileFoo.h .
>>
>> If I look at the file that was just created it looks like
>>
>> !<symlink>../main/FileFoo.h^@
>>
>> The FAQ talks about the option mask system = yes and create mask =
>> 0775.  I can't find anything in the Samba doc that talks about this.
>>
>> I've tried multiple variations...any help would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
>Creating symlinks on Samba drives is not possible with Cygwin.
>A solution would need new versions of both, Cygwin and Samba.

Actually, it is possible, you just have to follow the instructions in
the FAQ.  If the configuration options aren't in your samba documentation
then maybe you have an old version of samba.

cgf

* Re: symlinks not working on Samba mounted drives.
@ 2000-06-15  9:26   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-15  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-06-15  1:00 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-06-15  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Iribarne; +Cc: cygwin

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Developer

* symlinks not working on Samba mounted drives.
@ 2000-06-14 16:31 Stephen Iribarne
From: Stephen Iribarne @ 2000-06-14 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin