* unknown command diff
@ 2011-05-09 11:26 retrodans
From: retrodans @ 2011-05-09 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am trying to run what is a basic diff of 2 tags in a repo, to see what
changes have occurred between the 2.  But whenever I attempt to in cygwin I
get the below error.  Is this a known issue, or do I need to set something
up specially to get this working. Sorry I am newish to cygwin as use Ubuntu
normally.

$ svn diff --summarize http://svn.xxxxxxxx/tags/xxxxx/public
http://svn.yyyyyyyy/tags/yyyyy/public
Unknown command: 'diff'
Type 'svn help' for usage.

Thankyou for your help,
Dan

* Re: unknown command diff
@ 2011-05-09 11:39 ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2011-05-09 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

retrodans wrote, On 9.5.2011 13:26:

> I am trying to run what is a basic diff of 2 tags in a repo, to see what
> changes have occurred between the 2.  But whenever I attempt to in cygwin I
> get the below error.  Is this a known issue, or do I need to set something
> up specially to get this working. Sorry I am newish to cygwin as use Ubuntu
> normally.
>
> $ svn diff --summarize http://svn.xxxxxxxx/tags/xxxxx/public
> http://svn.yyyyyyyy/tags/yyyyy/public
> Unknown command: 'diff'
> Type 'svn help' for usage.
My guess is that you have not installed the diffutils package. I would know
for sure had you followed problem reporting procedure at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.

--
VH

* Re: unknown command diff
@ 2011-05-09 11:53   ` retrodans
From: retrodans @ 2011-05-09 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

diffutils appears to be there, so I went to run cygcheck for you as per the
link you sent, but that doesn't appear to create a file on my c: amd just
returns several warnings along the lines of:
OpenService failed for

This is for things such as: DcomLaunch, odserv, ose, pla,QWAVE,
RpcEptMapper, RpcSs

Do I need to install a specific package for this to work?

Václav Haisman wrote:

> retrodans wrote, On 9.5.2011 13:26:
>>
>> I am trying to run what is a basic diff of 2 tags in a repo, to see what
>> changes have occurred between the 2.  But whenever I attempt to in cygwin
>> get the below error.  Is this a known issue, or do I need to set
>> something
>> up specially to get this working. Sorry I am newish to cygwin as use
>> Ubuntu
>> normally.
>>
>> $ svn diff --summarize http://svn.xxxxxxxx/tags/xxxxx/public
>> http://svn.yyyyyyyy/tags/yyyyy/public
>> Unknown command: 'diff'
>> Type 'svn help' for usage.
> My guess is that you have not installed the diffutils package. I would
> know
> for sure had you followed problem reporting procedure at
> <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.
>
> --
> VH
>
> --

* Re: unknown command diff
@ 2011-05-09 12:37     ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2011-05-09 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM, retrodans <dan@retrobadger.net> wrote:

> diffutils appears to be there, so I went to run cygcheck for you as per the
> link you sent, but that doesn't appear to create a file on my c: amd just
> returns several warnings along the lines of:
> OpenService failed for
>
> This is for things such as: DcomLaunch, odserv, ose, pla,QWAVE,
> RpcEptMapper, RpcSs
>
> Do I need to install a specific package for this to work?

No, you just need to follow the procedure as described in:

> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Did you redirect the output, as in:

cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out

If yes, the output should be in the current directory. If you can't
find the file, try (from a Cygwin prompt)

cygcheck -s -v -r > `cygpath -D`/cygcheck.out

That would put the output on the desktop.
The warnings about OpenService are harmless.

Hope this helps,
Csaba

* Re: unknown command diff
@ 2011-05-09 13:11       ` retrodans
From: retrodans @ 2011-05-09 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Okay, that seems much better, for some reason the file wasn't going onto the
root of c, but running it directly to desktop worked a treat, so have
attached the file now.

As a note, I had installed cygwin some time ago, but did not use it back
then, so if a fresh re-install is required, then I can do so.

Csaba Raduly-2 wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM, retrodans <dan@retrobadger.net> wrote:
>>
>> diffutils appears to be there, so I went to run cygcheck for you as per
>> the
>> link you sent, but that doesn't appear to create a file on my c: amd just
>> returns several warnings along the lines of:
>> OpenService failed for
>>
>> This is for things such as: DcomLaunch, odserv, ose, pla,QWAVE,
>> RpcEptMapper, RpcSs
>>
>> Do I need to install a specific package for this to work?
>
> No, you just need to follow the procedure as described in:
>
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> Did you redirect the output, as in:
>
> cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
>
> If yes, the output should be in the current directory. If you can't
> find the file, try (from a Cygwin prompt)
>
> cygcheck -s -v -r > `cygpath -D`/cygcheck.out
>
> That would put the output on the desktop.
> The warnings about OpenService are harmless.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Csaba
> --
> GCS a+ e++ d- C++ ULS$ L+$ !E- W++ P+++$ w++$ tv+ b++ DI D++ 5++
> The Tao of math: The numbers you can count are not the real numbers.
> Life is complex, with real and imaginary parts.
> "Ok, it boots. Which means it must be bug-free and perfect. " -- Linus
> Torvalds
> "People disagree with me. I just ignore them." -- Linus Torvalds
>
> --

http://old.nabble.com/file/p31576638/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out

* Re: unknown command diff
@ 2011-05-09 13:35         ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2011-05-09 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM, retrodans <dan@retrobadger.net> wrote:

> Okay, that seems much better, for some reason the file wasn't going onto the
> root of c, but running it directly to desktop worked a treat, so have
> attached the file now.

If you run from the command prompt, then your current directory is
/home/dan, in other words, C:\cygwin\home\dan
You should find cygcheck.out from your earlier run, there.

> As a note, I had installed cygwin some time ago, but did not use it back
> then, so if a fresh re-install is required, then I can do so.

If there is no C:\cygwin\bin\diff.exe then reinstalling the diffutils
package may help.
Run the Cygwin setup, find diffutils under Utils, and click on the
circular arrows until it says Reinstall.

Hope this helps,
Csaba