* [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-03-18 17:10 Ismail Donmez
From: Ismail Donmez @ 2016-03-18 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This version syncs code with 7zip 15.14 and adds the fix for CVE-2015-1038.

Regards,
ismail

* RE: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-03-19  0:23 ` Tony Kelman
From: Tony Kelman @ 2016-03-19  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> This version syncs code with 7zip 15.14 and adds the fix for CVE-2015-1038.
>
> Regards,
> ismail

Updated the version, rebased patches and rebuilt, but cygport isn't letting
me upload. I'm getting

*** ERROR: Package file p7zip/setup.hint doesn't exist. Run "cygport p7zip-15.14-1.cygport pkg" to build it.

When I run the suggested "cygport pkg" command, I get

*** Warning: setup.hint is missing
*** Warning: p7zip.hint is missing

I get the sense this is using a pretty old-style cygport packaging, which
I mostly inherited from the most recent 32-bit upload when I first adopted
the package. I'm not motivated enough to fight with cygport to modernize this
so I'll upload manually. Is this a regression in cygport's permissiveness?

If anyone wants to help point me in the right direction with modernizing,
I have the packaging sources up at https://github.com/tkelman/cygwin-p7zip

-Tony

* Re: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-03-19 14:12   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-03-19 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Tony Kelman writes:
> Updated the version, rebased patches and rebuilt, but cygport isn't letting
> me upload. I'm getting
>
> *** ERROR: Package file p7zip/setup.hint doesn't exist. Run "cygport p7zip-15.14-1.cygport pkg" to build it.
>
> When I run the suggested "cygport pkg" command, I get
>
> *** Warning: setup.hint is missing
> *** Warning: p7zip.hint is missing
>
> I get the sense this is using a pretty old-style cygport packaging, which
> I mostly inherited from the most recent 32-bit upload when I first adopted
> the package. I'm not motivated enough to fight with cygport to modernize this
> so I'll upload manually. Is this a regression in cygport's permissiveness?
>
> If anyone wants to help point me in the right direction with modernizing,
> I have the packaging sources up at https://github.com/tkelman/cygwin-p7zip

You could have renamed the p7zip-15.09-2.cygwin.patch file or you could
remove it and add these three lines to the cygport file:

CATEGORY="Archive"
SUMMARY="A file archiver with very high compression ratios."
DESCRIPTION="p7zip is the Unix port of 7-Zip, a file archiver that
archives with very high compression ratios.  It supports
packing/unpacking 7z, zip, gzip bzip2, xz, tar, and wim archives.  It
supports unpacking of arj, cab, chm, cpio, dmg, hfs, lzh, lzma, wim,
xar, z, nsis, deb, rpm, msi, udf, iso, ntfs, fat, vhd, and mbr
archives.  This version does NOT support rar archives."

You might also want to add 'DEPEND="nasm"', since the build needs it
(probably other stuff too, but I already had that installed).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-03-21 12:40     ` Tony Kelman
From: Tony Kelman @ 2016-03-21 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> nexgo.de> writes:

> You could have renamed the p7zip-15.09-2.cygwin.patch file or you could
> remove it and add these three lines to the cygport file:

Whoops, thanks, of course I forgot something dumb like that. Will give it
another go next time I'm using Windows.

Thanks,
Tony

* Re: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-03-31 12:55     ` Gerrit Haase
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerrit Haase @ 2016-03-31 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> You might also want to add 'DEPEND="nasm"', since the build needs it
> (probably other stuff too, but I already had that installed).

Hello Achim,

is is common sense nowadays, to add packages required to build from
source to the executable runtime dependencies?

Regards,
Gerrit
=^..^=

* Re: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-03-31 23:20       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-03-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit Haase, cygwin

Greetings, Gerrit Haase!

>> You might also want to add 'DEPEND="nasm"', since the build needs it
>> (probably other stuff too, but I already had that installed).

> Hello Achim,

> is is common sense nowadays, to add packages required to build from
> source to the executable runtime dependencies?

It's often an oversight/backlash.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-03-31 23:27       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2016-03-31 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 31/03/2016 13:54, Gerrit Haase wrote:

>> You might also want to add 'DEPEND="nasm"', since the build needs it
>> (probably other stuff too, but I already had that installed).
>
> Hello Achim,
>
> is is common sense nowadays, to add packages required to build from
> source to the executable runtime dependencies?

DEPEND [1] is not the same as REQUIRES [2]

[1] https://cygwinports.github.io/cygport/check_funcs_cygpart.html#robo905
[2] https://cygwinports.github.io/cygport/pkg_pkg_cygpart.html#robo424

* Re: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-04-01  7:38         ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2016-04-01  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 1:26 AM, Jon Turney  wrote:
> [2] https://cygwinports.github.io/cygport/pkg_pkg_cygpart.html#robo424

There are mismatched singular/plural issues there, e.g.

"A single-line strings "

Csaba

* Re: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-04-01 18:50       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-04-01 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Gerrit Haase writes:
> is is common sense nowadays, to add packages required to build from
> source to the executable runtime dependencies?

It is quite helpful when some build dependencies aren't quite obvious
from the readme and/or would be optional if not specifically requested
(say, via configure options) in the cygport file.  And since the missing
nasm package gets detected quite late into the package build, I think
it'd make sense to add here.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-04-02 14:13         ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2016-04-02 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/1/2016 2:49 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Gerrit Haase writes:
>> is is common sense nowadays, to add packages required to build from
>> source to the executable runtime dependencies?
>
> It is quite helpful when some build dependencies aren't quite obvious
> from the readme and/or would be optional if not specifically requested
> (say, via configure options) in the cygport file.  And since the missing
> nasm package gets detected quite late into the package build, I think
> it'd make sense to add here.

Yes but only for development installs.  Strictly as a user of the binary
install I wouldn't want the dependency here.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-04-02 14:37           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-04-02 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cyg Simple writes:
> On 4/1/2016 2:49 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Gerrit Haase writes:
>>> is is common sense nowadays, to add packages required to build from
>>> source to the executable runtime dependencies?
>>
>> It is quite helpful when some build dependencies aren't quite obvious
>> from the readme and/or would be optional if not specifically requested
>> (say, via configure options) in the cygport file.  And since the missing
>> nasm package gets detected quite late into the package build, I think
>> it'd make sense to add here.
>
> Yes but only for development installs.  Strictly as a user of the binary
> install I wouldn't want the dependency here.

We were talking about the cygport file and whether to include a
build-time dependency in there.

Regards,
Achim.

* RE: [attention p7zip maintainer] p7zip 15.14 is out
@ 2016-04-02 16:44             ` Tony Kelman
From: Tony Kelman @ 2016-04-02 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>> Yes but only for development installs. Strictly as a user of the binary
>> install I wouldn't want the dependency here.
>
> We were talking about the cygport file and whether to include a
> build-time dependency in there.

I also thought the naming for REQUIRES vs DEPEND was a bit confusing
until I went and read the cygport docs in detail.

I didn't realize my -1 upload actually went through correctly, and I
spent a couple of weeks not using Windows. Once we can get the
new Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows 10 I won't be using my
opensuse partition much any more - but I also might not use cygwin
either, we'll see.

I'll spin a -2 rebuild with the setup.hint mistake fixed, and mark the
build time dependency.

-Tony