* Re: Epoch in 1.7.34
@ 2015-05-27 17:18 Andrew Clark
From: Andrew Clark @ 2015-05-27 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May 20, 2015, at 2:11 PM, Warren Young <wyml@etr-usa.com> wrote:

> So, what's the TZ setting on the 1.7.34 box?

$ echo $TZ

$

Let me try exporting TZ and running it again. BTW, in answer to your
previous question, strace returns

$ strace -fq date +%s
strace.exe: error creating process date, (error 2)

$ echo $?
1

whereas I get some output in the 2.0.2 environment.

After exporting TZ=America/New_York, the problem persists.

Sorry for the late reply; I sent my previous message without
subscribing to the mailing list, so I had no visibility into when you
replied. I have corrected the situation.

Andrew

* Re: Epoch in 1.7.34
@ 2015-05-27 21:16 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-05-27 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 27, 2015, at 10:25 AM, Andrew Clark <lark047@gmail.com> wrote:

> strace.exe: error creating process date, (error 2)

Well, there’s your problem.  You will find that “which date” either doesn’t give “/usr/bin/date” as a result, or that the executable there is broken somehow.

In either case, you need to reinstall coreutils via setup.exe.

* Re: Epoch in 1.7.34
@ 2015-05-20 21:31   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-05-20 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 20, 2015, at 1:50 PM, Warren Young <wyml@etr-usa.com> wrote:

> More likely, the change is in newlib or the terminal I/O code.

Or, it could be in /bin/date itself, part of coreutils.  I see this in the latest version’s NEWS file:

  date could crash or go into an infinite loop when parsing a malformed TZ="".
  [bug introduced with the --date='TZ="" ..' parsing feature in coreutils-5.3.0]

@ 2015-05-20 19:58 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-05-20 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 20, 2015, at 11:33 AM, Andrew Clark <lark047@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this a Cygwin question or a bash question, but I came
> here first.

Given that date is not a Bash builtin, I don’t know why that’s even on the table.

The Cygwin DLL *is* involved, but a problem in the key function (time(2)) would break an *awful* lot of software, so I can’t see it being the source of the change.

More likely, the change is in newlib or the terminal I/O code.

What do you get from “strace -fq date +%s”?

* Epoch in 1.7.34
@ 2015-05-20 19:10 Andrew Clark
From: Andrew Clark @ 2015-05-20 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
I was wondering about this behavior of the date command in Cygwin
1.7.34. The bash version is 4.1.17:

$ date +%s

$

The behavior has been corrected in 2.0.2 (bash version 4.3.33):

$ date +%s
1432142822
$

I'm not sure if this a Cygwin question or a bash question, but I came
here first.

Thanks,
Andrew