* New cygwin verson breaks emacs
@ 2006-07-26 11:17 Wynfield Henman
From: Wynfield Henman @ 2006-07-26 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This happened to a perfectly good pre-cygwin update emacs.
This also happened after a new rebuild of emacs with the new cygwin system.

***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[3060]: GSlice: failed to allocate 504 bytes
(alignment: 512): Function not implemented

My cygwin information is given as:
  CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.21(0.156/4/2) 2006-07-23 20:11

Any other people out there with emacs problems
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1

Thanks for any feedback or advice

* Re: New cygwin verson breaks emacs
@ 2006-07-26 16:12 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2006-07-26 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 26 19:24, Wynfield Henman wrote:
> This happened to a perfectly good pre-cygwin update emacs.
> This also happened after a new rebuild of emacs with the new cygwin system.
>
> ***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[3060]: GSlice: failed to allocate 504 bytes
> (alignment: 512): Function not implemented

Well, *which* function's not implemented?  I'm an emacs ignorant so I
just started emacs moved the cursor a bit and exited again, which works
fine.  So, what's the exact problam?

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: New cygwin verson breaks emacs
@ 2006-07-26 18:53 ` Harig, Mark
> This happened to a perfectly good pre-cygwin update emacs.
> This also happened after a new rebuild of emacs with the new
> cygwin system.
>
> ***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[3060]: GSlice: failed to allocate 504 bytes
> (alignment: 512): Function not implemented
>
> My cygwin information is given as:
>   CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.21(0.156/4/2) 2006-07-23 20:11
>
> Any other people out there with emacs problems
> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1

$ cygcheck -c emacs
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
emacs                21.2-13        OK

The above version has been available for quite some time and performs
many editing functions without any run-time errors or crashes.

> Thanks for any feedback or advice

You could try installing the currently-supported (and pre-built) version
to see whether it would meet your editing needs until the next version
of Emacs is announced as supported in the cygwin distribution.

If you require some editing capability that only Emacs 22 provides,
then you'll likely need to provide:

   - A (sufficiently) detailed description of the steps that you
     took to build Emacs from the source code

   - A detailed description of the run-time/editing steps that
     you performed that resulted in the problem that you are
     seeing

---

* Re: New cygwin verson breaks emacs
@ 2006-07-27  2:46   ` Wynfield Henman
From: Wynfield Henman @ 2006-07-27  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The problem only occurs when trying to run emacs from xterm.   So only
when X-Windows functions or related GTK functions are needed.

But, since the error message is
" ***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[3060]: GSlice: failed to allocate 504
bytes".  I will look further into it.    If anyone has any clues
please let me know.

I would think that the function is "GSlice", but I have no idea what
or where that is.

Have there been any major changes in Xwin and GTK related programs
that might have this affect.

Thanks
   Henman

@ 2006-07-28 10:01     ` Wynfield Henman
From: Wynfield Henman @ 2006-07-28 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

By specifying  --with-Xawed during configuring, I was able to produce
a  good runable emacs..

Building  --with-GTK does not.  It used to up to a week or so ago,
however.  So someting related to this changes.

The problem is not in the cygwin dll I tried exchanging the old for
the new and no changes n failure.  Further indication that GTK related
code has a bug in it.

Henman