* RE: grep (GNU grep) 2.24
@ 2016-04-08 20:53 Gordon Grimes
From: Gordon Grimes @ 2016-04-08 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

HI all,

Firstly, I neglected to show that I had piped the grep results into "wc -l".  That's where the numbers came from.
Secondly, I've reinstalled the later version and will watch for a recurrence.  If it happens I'll post the full test, including the "FILE" contents.

Thanks for the responses.

Enjoy,
-g-

From: Gerrit Haase @ 2016-04-09 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> % wc -l FILE
> 48786
> % grep . FILE
> 2240
>
> Very wrong.
>
> I reverted to version 2.21 and everything now works as expected:
> % grep . FILE
> 48786

Hi Gordon,

I am curious, what is the result if you do s.th. like:

cat FILE | grep x

where x is some common string in the file?

Regards,
Gerrit
=^..^=