* Compilation issue after upgrading cygwin from 1.7.9 to 1.7.16
@ 2012-09-04 14:43 Caporossi Jérôme
From: Caporossi Jérôme @ 2012-09-04 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I've got a compilation issue after upgrading Cygwin.
I am working with Metaware IDE, calling a dedicated compiler/linker called mcc.

All the makefiles are generated by Metaware and the compilation is launched through gmake.

In the makefile, mcc arguments is quite long (the mcc line is up to 10036 characters).
Then when launching the compilation, the following error is raised:

(C:\ARC\MetaWare\arc\bin\mcc:) No files specified.

It is like if the mcc cmd was too long and is truncated before the source file to be specified.

This issue is only seen with Cygwin 1.7.16, everything is fine with Cygwin 1.7.9.

 Kind regards,
Jerome

* Re: Compilation issue after upgrading cygwin from 1.7.9 to 1.7.16
@ 2012-09-04 15:27 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-09-04 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/4/2012 4:42 PM, Caporossi Jérôme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a compilation issue after upgrading Cygwin.
> I am working with Metaware IDE, calling a dedicated compiler/linker called mcc.
>
> All the makefiles are generated by Metaware and the compilation is launched through gmake.

Should you ask Synopsis ? mcc is not discussed here.

> In the makefile, mcc arguments is quite long (the mcc line is up to 10036 characters).
> Then when launching the compilation, the following error is raised:
>
> (C:\ARC\MetaWare\arc\bin\mcc:) No files specified.
>
> It is like if the mcc cmd was too long and is truncated before the source file to be specified.

make a copy of the two outputs with something like
"make |& tee make.log"
and than compare.

> This issue is only seen with Cygwin 1.7.16, everything is fine with Cygwin 1.7.9.
>
>   Kind regards,
> Jerome

I doubt an upgrade from 1.7.9 to 1.7.16 changes only the cygwin dll.
A lot of other packages have been updated in the meantime.

Regards
Marco

* Re: Compilation issue after upgrading cygwin from 1.7.9 to 1.7.16
@ 2012-09-04 16:06   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2012-09-04 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM, marco atzeri wrote:
> On 9/4/2012 4:42 PM, Caporossi Jérôme wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a compilation issue after upgrading Cygwin.
>> I am working with Metaware IDE, calling a dedicated compiler/linker called
>> mcc.
>>
>> All the makefiles are generated by Metaware and the compilation is
>> launched through gmake.
>

> Should you ask Synopsis ? mcc is not discussed here.

Even so, using it within the Cygwin environment.

>> In the makefile, mcc arguments is quite long (the mcc line is up to 10036
>> characters).
>> Then when launching the compilation, the following error is raised:
>>
>> (C:\ARC\MetaWare\arc\bin\mcc:) No files specified.
>>
>> It is like if the mcc cmd was too long and is truncated before the source
>> file to be specified.

This may be a Windows limitation and depends on how the processes are executed.

--
Earnie