* Slow startup time on AD joined PCs
@ 2023-06-26  6:15 Cristi Anichitei
From: Cristi Anichitei @ 2023-06-26  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This has been initially reported as a Git for Windows issue:
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/4459

But it has been tracked down to originate in the Cygwin project (see
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/4459#issuecomment-1580526636
and maybe
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/4459#issuecomment-1602566700).

Using 3.4.6.1 (from
http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/release/cygwin/cygwin-3.4.6-1-src.tar.xz),
running any program from /usr/bin takes at least 20 seconds, for example

$ .\ldd.exe --version
ldd (cygwin) 3.4.6
Print shared library dependencies
Copyright (C) 2009 - 2023 Chris Faylor
$ Measure-Command { .\ldd.exe --help }
Days              : 0
Hours             : 0
Minutes           : 0
Seconds           : 22
Milliseconds      : 552
Ticks             : 225529747
TotalDays         : 0.000261029799768519
TotalHours        : 0.00626471519444444
TotalMinutes      : 0.375882911666667
TotalSeconds      : 22.5529747
TotalMilliseconds : 22552.9747

I have also tried this with 3.4.7 - same issue.

Using 3.1.7 there is no slow down. I haven't tried any versions between
3.1.7 and 3.4.7 yet, but I can do that.

I'm running Windows 10 21H2 (19044.3086).

* Re: Slow startup time on AD joined PCs
@ 2023-06-26 14:12 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-06-26 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Cristi Anichitei

On 2023-06-26 00:15, Cristi Anichitei via Cygwin wrote:
> This has been initially reported as a Git for Windows issue:
> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/4459
>
> But it has been tracked down to originate in the Cygwin project (see
> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/4459#issuecomment-1580526636
> and maybe
> https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/4459#issuecomment-1602566700).
>
> Using 3.4.6.1 (from
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/release/cygwin/cygwin-3.4.6-1-src.tar.xz),
> running any program from /usr/bin takes at least 20 seconds, for example
>
> $ .\ldd.exe --version
> ldd (cygwin) 3.4.6
> Print shared library dependencies
> Copyright (C) 2009 - 2023 Chris Faylor
> $ Measure-Command { .\ldd.exe --help }
> Days              : 0
> Hours             : 0
> Minutes           : 0
> Seconds           : 22
> Milliseconds      : 552
> Ticks             : 225529747
> TotalDays         : 0.000261029799768519
> TotalHours        : 0.00626471519444444
> TotalMinutes      : 0.375882911666667
> TotalSeconds      : 22.5529747
> TotalMilliseconds : 22552.9747
>
> I have also tried this with 3.4.7 - same issue.
>
> Using 3.1.7 there is no slow down. I haven't tried any versions between
> 3.1.7 and 3.4.7 yet, but I can do that.
>
> I'm running Windows 10 21H2 (19044.3086).

https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.startup-slow

Probably slow AD server or network connection, or long group membership lists,
that can be ameliorated by running cygserver service at system startup, so only
the first Cygwin process takes SAM/AD access hits, which are cached thereafter,
and shared with all Cygwin processes on the system.
Otherwise the first Cygwin process in each Cygwin process tree takes the hits,
so if you are not running under Cygwin mintty terminal and/or Cygwin shell,
every Cygwin process run from a Windows shell has to load all the SAM/AD info
required to run the Cygwin process.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Slow startup time on AD joined PCs
@ 2023-06-26 14:45   ` Cristi Anichitei
From: Cristi Anichitei @ 2023-06-26 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks! I'll take a look at that, but I'm not able to change what runs at
system startup.

It is a bit weird that multiple users (from different organizations)
started to experience this after a Cygwin update. If I'm using an older
version I don't have these issues on the same machine (the cygserver
service does not run at system startup). Is there any change between 3.1.7
and 3.4.2 (the oldest version I was able to use in my tests) that could
have caused it?

În lun., 26 iun. 2023 la 17:12, Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@shaw.ca> a scris:

@ 2023-06-27 10:45   ` Cristi Anichitei
From: Cristi Anichitei @ 2023-06-27 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)