From: David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: More on Win7 update messing up HOME
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 01:37:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 12:12 AM Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> David Karr writes:
> > I noticed that when I do an "ls -lt" in my homedir, instead of the owner
> > and group of files being my simple uid, it's something like
> > "<MYDOMAIN>+User(1944941)" and "2993517" (group and user, respectively, I
> > believe).
>
> There's your problem.  For whatever reason, the DC did not resolve your
> user ID when it was asked by Cygwin and so all the other information
> associated with your account is likewise unavailable.  Are you starting
> any Cygwin services at boot?  If so, make them depend on tcp_ip so they
> don't start before networking is available and/or set them to delayed
> start.  If that doesn't fix it, check the user they are running under,
> both cygserver and sshd should run under LocalSystem for an up-to-date
> Cygwin.

About a month ago I worked on getting crontab working. I hadn't done it
before, and I found there were lots of details that were hard to get right.
I'd have to review it again to remember how that is set up.

In the older setup, without the physical passwd or group files, what would
happen if I rebooted at a point when the laptop wouldn't have been able to
reach the domain server?