* More on Win7 update messing up HOME
@ 2019-08-16  2:39 David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2019-08-16  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wish I could get my own messages on this list, so I could add more
information to my first note.

Running the installer again made no difference.  It still thinks my HOME is
"/".

I don't know what environment variables are set or inspected by cygwin.  I
see that the "USERNAME" variable seems to have my expected value.

I tried running "mkpasswd -d" and grepping for my userid, and it was there
(along with many others).

I can "fix" the environment in the mintty shell by setting HOME to
"/home/<myuid>" and then sourcing my .bashrc and .bash_profile. That
doesn't help my Emacs desktop shortcut, which uses "run2".

I noticed that when I do an "ls -lt" in my homedir, instead of the owner
and group of files being my simple uid, it's something like
"<MYDOMAIN>+User(1944941)" and "2993517" (group and user, respectively, I
believe).

* Re: More on Win7 update messing up HOME
@ 2019-08-16 10:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-08-16 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Karr, cygwin

Greetings, David Karr!

> I wish I could get my own messages on this list, so I could add more
> information to my first note.

Just reply to your own initial message. Or better yet, subscribe.

> Running the installer again made no difference.  It still thinks my HOME is
> "/".

Do you have %HOME% variable set in your user environment?
Do you have %HOMEDRIVE%/%HOMEPATH% variables defined to something unsettling?

> I don't know what environment variables are set or inspected by cygwin.  I
> see that the "USERNAME" variable seems to have my expected value.

> I tried running "mkpasswd -d" and grepping for my userid, and it was there
> (along with many others).

> I can "fix" the environment in the mintty shell by setting HOME to
> "/home/<myuid>" and then sourcing my .bashrc and .bash_profile. That
> doesn't help my Emacs desktop shortcut, which uses "run2".

> I noticed that when I do an "ls -lt" in my homedir, instead of the owner
> and group of files being my simple uid, it's something like
> "<MYDOMAIN>+User(1944941)" and "2993517" (group and user, respectively, I
> believe).

Please remove any /etc/{group,passwd} files and try again.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: More on Win7 update messing up HOME
@ 2019-08-16 13:40   ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2019-08-16 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 3:50 AM Andrey Repin wrote:

> Greetings, David Karr!
>
> > I wish I could get my own messages on this list, so I could add more
> > information to my first note.
>
> Just reply to your own initial message. Or better yet, subscribe.

I am subscribed.  I can't reply to my own initial message because I never
receive my own postings, I only receive notes sent by other people.

> > Running the installer again made no difference.  It still thinks my HOME
> is
> > "/".
>
> Do you have %HOME% variable set in your user environment?
> Do you have %HOMEDRIVE%/%HOMEPATH% variables defined to something
> unsettling?

I checked "Environment Variables" in control panel, and I'm not setting
anything beginning with "HOME" in either user or system variables.

> > I don't know what environment variables are set or inspected by cygwin.
> > see that the "USERNAME" variable seems to have my expected value.
>
> > I tried running "mkpasswd -d" and grepping for my userid, and it was
> there
> > (along with many others).
>
> > I can "fix" the environment in the mintty shell by setting HOME to
> > "/home/<myuid>" and then sourcing my .bashrc and .bash_profile. That
> > doesn't help my Emacs desktop shortcut, which uses "run2".
>
> > I noticed that when I do an "ls -lt" in my homedir, instead of the owner
> > and group of files being my simple uid, it's something like
> > "<MYDOMAIN>+User(1944941)" and "2993517" (group and user, respectively, I
> > believe).
>
> Please remove any /etc/{group,passwd} files and try again.

I have neither of those files.  That's what I'm saying.

* Re: More on Win7 update messing up HOME
@ 2019-08-16 18:22     ` Hans-Bernhard Bröker
From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker @ 2019-08-16 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 16.08.2019 um 15:28 schrieb David Karr:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 3:50 AM Andrey Repin wrote:

>> Do you have %HOME% variable set in your user environment?
>> Do you have %HOMEDRIVE%/%HOMEPATH% variables defined to something
>> unsettling?

> I checked "Environment Variables" in control panel, and I'm not setting
> anything beginning with "HOME" in either user or system variables.

That check is not really useful, though.

You need to look at the actual environment constructed for a user
process, at run-time.  About the easiest is to start a Windows command
shell (Start->Run "cmd") and look at the output of the "set" command.

In cases of looking for names starting with some prefix, like here, you
can narrow down the search:

	set HOME

* Re: More on Win7 update messing up HOME
@ 2019-08-16 18:42       ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2019-08-16 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:32 AM Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:

> Am 16.08.2019 um 15:28 schrieb David Karr:
> > On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 3:50 AM Andrey Repin wrote:
>
> >> Do you have %HOME% variable set in your user environment?
> >> Do you have %HOMEDRIVE%/%HOMEPATH% variables defined to something
> >> unsettling?
>
> > I checked "Environment Variables" in control panel, and I'm not setting
> > anything beginning with "HOME" in either user or system variables.
>
> That check is not really useful, though.
>
> You need to look at the actual environment constructed for a user
> process, at run-time.  About the easiest is to start a Windows command
> shell (Start->Run "cmd") and look at the output of the "set" command.
>
> In cases of looking for names starting with some prefix, like here, you
> can narrow down the search:
>
>         set HOME

That just results in:

    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=\Users\<myuid>

I detailed this in another reply, but this would fit one of those checks,
which should result in "C:\Users\<myuid>", which is my Windows home
directory, which does exist.  I don't want it to use this, but it's not
anyway.  It's resulting in "/" as my Cygwin home.

@ 2019-08-16 18:43         ` Lee
From: Lee @ 2019-08-16 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/16/19, David Karr wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:32 AM Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:

>> > I checked "Environment Variables" in control panel, and I'm not setting
>> > anything beginning with "HOME" in either user or system variables.
>>
>> That check is not really useful, though.
>>
>> You need to look at the actual environment constructed for a user
>> process, at run-time.  About the easiest is to start a Windows command
>> shell (Start->Run "cmd") and look at the output of the "set" command.
>>
>> In cases of looking for names starting with some prefix, like here, you
>> can narrow down the search:
>>
>>         set HOME
>>

> That just results in:
>
>     HOMEDRIVE=C:
>     HOMEPATH=\Users\<myuid>
>
> I detailed this in another reply, but this would fit one of those checks,
> which should result in "C:\Users\<myuid>", which is my Windows home
> directory, which does exist.  I don't want it to use this, but it's not
> anyway.  It's resulting in "/" as my Cygwin home.

Have you checked /etc/nsswitch.conf yet?
$ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
#    This file is read once by the first process in a Cygwin process tree.
#    To pick up changes, restart all Cygwin processes.  For a description
#    see https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch
#
# Defaults:
# passwd:   files db
# group:    files db
# db_enum:  cache builtin
# db_home:  /home/%U
# db_shell: /bin/bash
# db_gecos: <empty>

Lee

* Re: More on Win7 update messing up HOME
@ 2019-08-16 20:35           ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2019-08-16 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 11:43 AM Lee wrote:

> On 8/16/19, David Karr wrote:

> setting
> >>
> >> That check is not really useful, though.
> >>
> >> You need to look at the actual environment constructed for a user
> >> process, at run-time.  About the easiest is to start a Windows command
> >> shell (Start->Run "cmd") and look at the output of the "set" command.
> >>
> >> In cases of looking for names starting with some prefix, like here, you
> >> can narrow down the search:
> >>
> >>         set HOME
> >>

> > That just results in:
> >
> >     HOMEDRIVE=C:
> >     HOMEPATH=\Users\<myuid>
> >
> > I detailed this in another reply, but this would fit one of those checks,
> > which should result in "C:\Users\<myuid>", which is my Windows home
> > directory, which does exist.  I don't want it to use this, but it's not
> > anyway.  It's resulting in "/" as my Cygwin home.
>
> Have you checked /etc/nsswitch.conf yet?
> $ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
> # /etc/nsswitch.conf
> #
> #    This file is read once by the first process in a Cygwin process tree.
> #    To pick up changes, restart all Cygwin processes.  For a description
> #    see
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch
> #
> # Defaults:
> # passwd:   files db
> # group:    files db
> # db_enum:  cache builtin
> # db_home:  /home/%U
> # db_shell: /bin/bash
> # db_gecos: <empty>

This matches the state of mine, where all the lines are commented out.

@ 2019-08-16 20:47     ` Andrey Repin
       [not found]       ` <1FFDA2C4248A525343CFDE92@192.168.1.144>
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-08-16 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Karr, cygwin

Greetings, David Karr!

>> > I wish I could get my own messages on this list, so I could add more
>> > information to my first note.
>>
>> Just reply to your own initial message. Or better yet, subscribe.
>>

> I am subscribed.  I can't reply to my own initial message because I never
> receive my own postings, I only receive notes sent by other people.

You WROTE it. No need to receive to reply to it.

>> > Running the installer again made no difference.  It still thinks my HOME
>> is
>> > "/".
>>
>> Do you have %HOME% variable set in your user environment?
>> Do you have %HOMEDRIVE%/%HOMEPATH% variables defined to something
>> unsettling?
>>

> I checked "Environment Variables" in control panel, and I'm not setting
> anything beginning with "HOME" in either user or system variables.

wat???

Win+R -> "cmd"
In the console, type "set HOME" and hit <Enter>.

Then

Win+R -> "bash" (specify full path if necessary)
Type "set | grep -iE '^HOME'" and hit <Enter> again.

Check if both envs correspond to eachother.

>> > I don't know what environment variables are set or inspected by cygwin.
>> > see that the "USERNAME" variable seems to have my expected value.
>>
>> > I tried running "mkpasswd -d" and grepping for my userid, and it was
>> there
>> > (along with many others).
>>
>> > I can "fix" the environment in the mintty shell by setting HOME to
>> > "/home/<myuid>" and then sourcing my .bashrc and .bash_profile. That
>> > doesn't help my Emacs desktop shortcut, which uses "run2".
>>
>> > I noticed that when I do an "ls -lt" in my homedir, instead of the owner
>> > and group of files being my simple uid, it's something like
>> > "<MYDOMAIN>+User(1944941)" and "2993517" (group and user, respectively, I
>> > believe).
>>
>> Please remove any /etc/{group,passwd} files and try again.
>>

> I have neither of those files.  That's what I'm saying.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin
Friday, August 16, 2019 23:24:39

@ 2019-08-16 21:02       ` Quanah Gibson-Mount
       [not found]       ` <1FFDA2C4248A525343CFDE92@192.168.1.144>
From: Quanah Gibson-Mount @ 2019-08-16 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, David Karr

--On Saturday, August 17, 2019 12:28 AM +0300 Andrey Repin
<anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Greetings, David Karr!

>>> Just reply to your own initial message. Or better yet, subscribe.
>>>

>> I am subscribed.  I can't reply to my own initial message because I never
>> receive my own postings, I only receive notes sent by other people.
>
> You WROTE it. No need to receive to reply to it.

As a subscriber, I receive a copy of every mail I send to the list (and I
prefer it that way).  Seems to be the default list setting.  Perhaps David
changed his list preferences at some point or there was a different default
setting for the list at the time he subscribed?  It's pretty common for
this to be the default behavior for a mailing list.  For one thing, it
ensures you know that your email to the list was actually delivered.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect

@ 2019-08-16 22:11         ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2019-08-16 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 2:01 PM Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@symas.com>
wrote:

> --On Saturday, August 17, 2019 12:28 AM +0300 Andrey Repin
> <anrdaemon@yandex.ru>wrote:
>
> > Greetings, David Karr!

> >> I am subscribed.  I can't reply to my own initial message because I
> never
> >> receive my own postings, I only receive notes sent by other people.
> >
> > You WROTE it. No need to receive to reply to it.
>
> As a subscriber, I receive a copy of every mail I send to the list (and I
> prefer it that way).  Seems to be the default list setting.  Perhaps David
> changed his list preferences at some point or there was a different
> default
> setting for the list at the time he subscribed?  It's pretty common for
> this to be the default behavior for a mailing list.  For one thing, it
> ensures you know that your email to the list was actually delivered.

I have tried to find where this flag is set, but I've never found it. I
don't see it mentioned in the mailing list info.

@ 2019-08-17  8:16 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-08-17  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Karr writes:
> I noticed that when I do an "ls -lt" in my homedir, instead of the owner
> and group of files being my simple uid, it's something like
> "<MYDOMAIN>+User(1944941)" and "2993517" (group and user, respectively, I
> believe).

There's your problem.  For whatever reason, the DC did not resolve your
user ID when it was asked by Cygwin and so all the other information
associated with your account is likewise unavailable.  Are you starting
any Cygwin services at boot?  If so, make them depend on tcp_ip so they
don't start before networking is available and/or set them to delayed
start.  If that doesn't fix it, check the user they are running under,
both cygserver and sshd should run under LocalSystem for an up-to-date
Cygwin.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: More on Win7 update messing up HOME
@ 2019-08-18  1:37   ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2019-08-18  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 12:12 AM Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> David Karr writes:
> > I noticed that when I do an "ls -lt" in my homedir, instead of the owner
> > and group of files being my simple uid, it's something like
> > "<MYDOMAIN>+User(1944941)" and "2993517" (group and user, respectively, I
> > believe).
>
> There's your problem.  For whatever reason, the DC did not resolve your
> user ID when it was asked by Cygwin and so all the other information
> associated with your account is likewise unavailable.  Are you starting
> any Cygwin services at boot?  If so, make them depend on tcp_ip so they
> don't start before networking is available and/or set them to delayed
> start.  If that doesn't fix it, check the user they are running under,
> both cygserver and sshd should run under LocalSystem for an up-to-date
> Cygwin.

About a month ago I worked on getting crontab working. I hadn't done it
before, and I found there were lots of details that were hard to get right.
I'd have to review it again to remember how that is set up.

In the older setup, without the physical passwd or group files, what would
happen if I rebooted at a point when the laptop wouldn't have been able to
reach the domain server?