* Proper way to run emacs from desktop
@ 2017-11-01 17:08 David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2017-11-01 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I install Cygwin every couple of years and then use it continuously
without updates between those installations.  I installed it on a new
laptop today, and I'm trying to work through issues.

The current issue is running Emacs from the desktop.

I had a shortcut working for a long time that does the following:
-------------
C:\cygwin64\bin\run2.exe --display 127.0.0.1:0.0 /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml
-------------

The "run2" application doesn't appear to exist.  I checked my notes,
and I can't tell whether I installed this from somewhere else the last
time I did this.

I tried changing "run2" to "run". This didn't fail.  It also didn't do anything.

What should I do here?

* Re: Proper way to run emacs from desktop
@ 2017-11-01 19:57 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-11-01 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/1/2017 1:08 PM, David Karr wrote:
> I install Cygwin every couple of years and then use it continuously
> without updates between those installations.  I installed it on a new
> laptop today, and I'm trying to work through issues.
>
> The current issue is running Emacs from the desktop.
>
> I had a shortcut working for a long time that does the following:
> -------------
> C:\cygwin64\bin\run2.exe --display 127.0.0.1:0.0 /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml
> -------------
>
> The "run2" application doesn't appear to exist.  I checked my notes,
> and I can't tell whether I installed this from somewhere else the last
> time I did this.

Just install the run2 package.  It's still available.

Ken

* Re: Proper way to run emacs from desktop
@ 2017-11-01 21:57   ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2017-11-01 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
> On 11/1/2017 1:08 PM, David Karr wrote:
>>
>> I install Cygwin every couple of years and then use it continuously
>> without updates between those installations.  I installed it on a new
>> laptop today, and I'm trying to work through issues.
>>
>> The current issue is running Emacs from the desktop.
>>
>> I had a shortcut working for a long time that does the following:
>> -------------
>> C:\cygwin64\bin\run2.exe --display 127.0.0.1:0.0 /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml
>> -------------
>>
>> The "run2" application doesn't appear to exist.  I checked my notes,
>> and I can't tell whether I installed this from somewhere else the last
>> time I did this.
>

> Just install the run2 package.  It's still available.

Ok.  I find the search facility in setup somewhat confusing.  I
couldn't find it before. I found it now, and I've installed it.

Then I had to remember the other conversation we had last year about
creating "/usr/local/bin/emacs.xml".  Now all working.

Thanks.

* Re: Proper way to run emacs from desktop
@ 2017-11-02 16:29     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-11-02 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/11/2017 21:57, David Karr wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
>> On 11/1/2017 1:08 PM, David Karr wrote:
>>> I install Cygwin every couple of years and then use it continuously
>>> without updates between those installations.  I installed it on a new
>>> laptop today, and I'm trying to work through issues.
>>>
>>> The current issue is running Emacs from the desktop.
>>>
>>> I had a shortcut working for a long time that does the following:
>>> -------------
>>> C:\cygwin64\bin\run2.exe --display 127.0.0.1:0.0 /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml
>>> -------------

Just '--display :0.0' is probably better, as it won't stop working when
the Xserver is run without '-listen tcp'...

>>> The "run2" application doesn't appear to exist.  I checked my notes,
>>> and I can't tell whether I installed this from somewhere else the last
>>> time I did this.
>>
>> Just install the run2 package.  It's still available.
>
> Ok.  I find the search facility in setup somewhat confusing.  I
> couldn't find it before. I found it now, and I've installed it.

You can also search using e.g.
https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=run2.exe&arch=x86_64

* Re: Proper way to run emacs from desktop
@ 2017-11-02 17:41       ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2017-11-02 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
> On 01/11/2017 21:57, David Karr wrote:

> Just '--display :0.0' is probably better, as it won't stop working when the
> Xserver is run without '-listen tcp'...

Sounds like a good idea, but I noticed that this change produces a
very odd side effect, and I've verified that going back makes it not
happen. I've tested going back and forth multiple times, with
repeatable results.

Normally, when I start emacs, the window appears in a particular
location, and with a particular height (and width, but I don't set
that).

I believe this is configured by the following lines in my .emacs file:
-----------------
(set-frame-position (selected-frame) 0 0)
(set-frame-height (selected-frame) 60)

Setting the frame height to 60 results in a window that spans most of
the vertical space of my desktop.

Curiously, when I remove the "127.0.0.1" from the "display" option,
emacs starts up in the same location, but with about 2/3 of the
expected window height.  The window is easily expandable, but I'd
rather it be the height that I have configured initially.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe what I'm seeing, but I've gone back
and forth multiple times, and it's completely repeatable.  Could this
be caused by something odd in my X resources tree?