* Spam On List
@ 2018-05-18 20:49 R0b0t1
From: R0b0t1 @ 2018-05-18 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ideally everyone would have a filter set up that is capable of binning
the spam automatically. Some may not. Is there any chance of running
something listserv side?

Cheers,
     R0b0t1

* Re: Spam On List
@ 2018-05-18 21:03 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2018-05-18 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-05-18 14:44, R0b0t1 wrote:
> Ideally everyone would have a filter set up that is capable of binning
> the spam automatically. Some may not. Is there any chance of running
> something listserv side?

There is.  It's not perfect.  Depending on how it's tweaked, either we
get false positives or some spam makes it through.  It goes back and
forth and right now it seems were on the latter side.

--
Yaakov

* Re: Spam On List
@ 2018-05-18 23:33   ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2018-05-18 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> There is.  It's not perfect.  Depending on how it's tweaked, either we get
> false positives or some spam makes it through.  It goes back and forth and
> right now it seems were on the latter side.

Personally, I much prefer some getting through rather than false
positives...  being an eternal cat&mouse game, no spam filter will
ever be perfect...

-- Erik

* Re: Spam On List
@ 2018-05-19  0:55     ` Norton Allen
From: Norton Allen @ 2018-05-19  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

For what it's worth, I think I have a pretty good spam filter, and these
ads for mailing lists always seem to get through, so they aren't
particularly easy to catch.

On 5/18/2018 5:03 PM, Erik Soderquist wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> There is.  It's not perfect.  Depending on how it's tweaked, either we get
>> false positives or some spam makes it through.  It goes back and forth and
>> right now it seems were on the latter side.
> Personally, I much prefer some getting through rather than false
> positives...  being an eternal cat&mouse game, no spam filter will
> ever be perfect...
>
> -- Erik
>
> --

* Re: Spam On List
@ 2018-05-19 10:55       ` R0b0t1
From: R0b0t1 @ 2018-05-19 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Norton Allen <allen@huarp.harvard.edu> wrote:
> For what it's worth, I think I have a pretty good spam filter, and these ads
> for mailing lists always seem to get through, so they aren't particularly
> easy to catch.

Well, if there is a filter set up I didn't mean to be insensitive. I
thought to ask because some work accounts I use get these messages but
they are properly flagged.

> On 5/18/2018 5:03 PM, Erik Soderquist wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> There is.  It's not perfect.  Depending on how it's tweaked, either we
>>> get
>>> false positives or some spam makes it through.  It goes back and forth
>>> and
>>> right now it seems were on the latter side.
>>
>> Personally, I much prefer some getting through rather than false
>> positives...  being an eternal cat&mouse game, no spam filter will
>> ever be perfect...
>>
>> -- Erik
>>
>> --
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>>

> --

* Re: Spam On List
@ 2018-05-23 21:33         ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2018-05-23 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 8:55 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
> Well, if there is a filter set up I didn't mean to be insensitive. I
> thought to ask because some work accounts I use get these messages but
> they are properly flagged.

Work accounts generally also deliver the message to a quarantine of
some kind (spam folder) you can access and update them, while
automated list management often can't and it is either send it through
or delete it, and if deleted, no one ever sees it, making false
positives much more dangerous  :)

I've numerous times found valid messages and even entire threads from
this list incorrectly flagged as spam in my personal and corporate
boxes while actual spam that got through wasn't flagged... an eternal
cat and mouse game until spam is no longer profitable...

-- Erik

--
"I do not think any of us are truly sane, Caleb. Not even you. Courage
is not sanity. Being willing to die for someone else is not sanity."

-- Alexandria Terri in "Weaving the Wyvern" by Alexis Desiree Thorne