* Error running gitg
@ 2021-03-21 21:21 Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2021-03-21 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Keith Thompson

I just installed the gitg package, version 3.26.0-1.

When I run it, I get the following error, and the GUI doesn't launch:

** (gitg:8004): WARNING **: gitg-plugins-engine.vala:40: Could not
load repository: Typelib file for namespace 'Peas', version '1.0' not
found

** (gitg:8004): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus
address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message recipient
disconnected from message bus without replying

(gitg:8004): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
'org.gnome.gitg.state.window' is not installed

A Google search for the error message turns up a similar problem on
Arch Linux, reported in 2011. Yes, that's 10 years ago, but it might
provide a clue.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/23029
"""
When launching gitg from a terminal, a "Settings schema
'org.gnome.gitg.state.window' is not installed" error is displayed.

By adding the following line to the post_install and post_remove hooks
of gitg.install file the problem seems to be solved:
usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
"""

* Re: Error running gitg
@ 2021-03-23  5:04 ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2021-03-23  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Keith Thompson

I've seen some inconsistent behavior while trying to install older
versions of gitg.

On one of my two Windows 10 laptops, I tried installing version 3.22.0
(which worked) and then 3.24.0 (which also worked) before updating
back to the current 3.26.0 (which also worked).  I had seen gitg 3.26.0 fail
to work when I first installed it.

On my other laptop, I haven't been able to get any version to work
after trying to reproduce what I did on the first laptop.

I don't have any more information, other than that the problem seems to be
more complicated than I thought it was.