* Re: Linux xz issue
@ 2024-04-01  4:15 Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2024-04-01  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Achim Gratz Stromeko@Nexgo.DE wrote:
> Beyond that, the version 5.4.6 that everybody is currently reverting to
> (and is also still available for Cygwin if you want to go back) was
> already released when the presumed bad actor was co-maintainer and their
> involvement goes back even farther based on the Xz developer mailing
> list.  The repository has been deactivated by GitHub so I can't check
> there, but there is already some discussion about rolling back to 5.3.1
> or thereabouts.

The GitHub repo at <https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz> has been
deactivated, but there's another xz repo (likely the original one)
at <https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz>.  The most recent commit
in that repo is "CMake: Fix sabotaged Landlock sandbox check.".

I have no inside knowledge about any of this.

I'm running the Cygwin setup right now.  It reverts the xz package
from 5.6.1-1 to 5.4.6-1.  Only 5.4.2-1 and 5.4.6-1 are available.

* Re: Linux xz issue
@ 2024-04-01  8:11 ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2024-04-01  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 9:15 PM Keith Thompson
<Keith.S.Thompson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Achim Gratz Stromeko@Nexgo.DE wrote:
> > Beyond that, the version 5.4.6 that everybody is currently reverting to
> > (and is also still available for Cygwin if you want to go back) was
> > already released when the presumed bad actor was co-maintainer and their
> > involvement goes back even farther based on the Xz developer mailing
> > list.  The repository has been deactivated by GitHub so I can't check
> > there, but there is already some discussion about rolling back to 5.3.1
> > or thereabouts.
>
> The GitHub repo at <https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz> has been
> deactivated, but there's another xz repo (likely the original one)
> at <https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz>.  The most recent commit
> in that repo is "CMake: Fix sabotaged Landlock sandbox check.".
>
> I have no inside knowledge about any of this.
>
> I'm running the Cygwin setup right now.  It reverts the xz package
> from 5.6.1-1 to 5.4.6-1.  Only 5.4.2-1 and 5.4.6-1 are available.

Sorry, I pasted the same link twice.

The deactivated GitHub repo is:
https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz

The tukaani.org repo (still active) is:
https://git.tukaani.org/xz.git

Thanks to oskar for pointing out my error.

* Re: Linux xz issue
@ 2024-03-30 10:14 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2024-03-30 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 29.03.2024 um 23:43 schrieb Ron Murray via Cygwin:
> There is a serious security issue with xz (and liblzma) versions 5.6.0-1
> and 5.6.1-1. I note that cywin currently is suggesting an upgrade to
> 5.6.1-1, which is unsafe. I've looked at the cygwin archives and I don't
> see a reference to this: sorry if you're already aware of this issue.

Based on what I know so far (and I can't check in detail right now)
Cygwin is likely not affected: it isn't Linux, nor does it use glibc or
systemd and also not the patch for OpenSSH that allows the backdoor to
get activated.  So, the code injection into liblzma5 has very likely not
been performed during the build (I will check that, but it will take a
week or so) and even if it did it could not work on Cygwin.

Beyond that, the version 5.4.6 that everybody is currently reverting to
(and is also still available for Cygwin if you want to go back) was
already released when the presumed bad actor was co-maintainer and their
involvement goes back even farther based on the Xz developer mailing
list.  The repository has been deactivated by GitHub so I can't check
there, but there is already some discussion about rolling back to 5.3.1
or thereabouts.

Please note that the account in question has also landed some code in
libarchive which is likely going to get reverted.  From the looks of it
there were a few sock-puppet accounts that were supporting the
activities and it remains to be seen where else these might turn up.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)

* Linux xz issue