* printf and echo no longer changing the window title
@ 2014-05-06 11:01 Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-05-06 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

As seen here
He mention this command

    echo -e '\E]0;blah\a'

However I think he meant to lowercase "E"

    echo -e '\e]0;blah\a'

Either way, these commands are no longer changing the window title. Note that

    PS1='\e]0;blah\a'

Still works

    $ uname -a
    CYGWIN_NT-6.1 Steven-PC 1.7.29(0.272/5/3) 2014-04-07 13:46 x86_64 Cygwin

* Re: printf and echo no longer changing the window title
@ 2014-05-06 11:27 ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-05-06 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Steven Penny wrote:
> As seen here
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-05/msg01263.html
> He mention this command
>
>      echo -e '\E]0;blah\a'
>
> However I think he meant to lowercase "E"
>
>      echo -e '\e]0;blah\a'
>
> Either way, these commands are no longer changing the window title. Note that
>
>      PS1='\e]0;blah\a'
>
> Still works

Works for me. Are you sure you don't have PROMPT_COMMAND set, and it's
overriding it?

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: printf and echo no longer changing the window title
@ 2014-05-06 12:12   ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-05-06 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Works for me. Are you sure you don't have PROMPT_COMMAND set, and it's
> overriding it?

This is on a clean Cygwin install. I deleted the Cygwin folder and reinstall
from that.

I even tried a clean install in a virtual machine with VirtualBox, same result.

Note I am using Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

* Re: printf and echo no longer changing the window title
@ 2014-05-06 14:11     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-05-06 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/05/2014 14:12, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>> Works for me. Are you sure you don't have PROMPT_COMMAND set, and it's
>> overriding it?
>
> This is on a clean Cygwin install. I deleted the Cygwin folder and reinstall
> from that.
>
> I even tried a clean install in a virtual machine with VirtualBox, same result.
>
> Note I am using Windows 7 Service Pack 1.
>
> --

what is PS1 setting ?
Likely PS1 is overwriting any "echo -e '\e]0;blah\a'" command

what happens if you remove the "\[\e]0;\w\a\]\n\[" (or similar)
from PS1 ?

regards
Marco

* Re: printf and echo no longer changing the window title
@ 2014-05-06 21:49       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-05-06 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> what is PS1 setting ?
> Likely PS1 is overwriting any "echo -e '\e]0;blah\a'" command

Yes sir! That was it! Culpable file

    /etc/bash.bashrc

Thanks for the help.