* openSsh
@ 2016-08-30 19:11 Massimo Balestra
From: Massimo Balestra @ 2016-08-30 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
I have installed several years ago my cygwin openssh server (sshd) and
it worked very well for a long time.
I use to connect to it in three ways:
1) from putty to open an interactive shell
2) from another cygwin on another PC using scp to copy files
3) (occasionally) from the cygwin on the other pc usin ssh to open an
interactive shell or to execute simple commands.

Some months ago, after an upgrade, my sshd started to change its behavior
 From Putty it still worked
from the other cygwin ssh and scp hangs after the disconnect. I have to
press ctrl+C to exit from ssh or scp
for example:
ssh me@remmote server "ls -l"
shows me the result of the ls and then it stays there until I press ctrl+C
Same behavior with scp

Last week, after another update, it got even worse.
 From putty it hangs on disconnect and I have to close the window.
from ssh after the disconnect (Ctrl+D) it hangs but the ctrl+C does
nothing. I have to kill the ssh
from scp it hangs but the ctrl+C still works

I cannot understand what makes it hang.
I searched on google, checked the configuration options, nothing.
I deleted (renamed) all my bashrc files (in /etc/ and home dir) to see
if there was a tunnel or something that would make it hang, but the only
thing that changes is the prompt. It still hangs.

Note: it is not a firewall problem. It does the same if I ssh from
localhost.

Can anyone help me to find a solution? It is very annoying.

Thanks
Massimo

* Re: openSsh
@ 2016-08-30 20:56   ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2016-08-30 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Massimo Balestra wrote:
> Forget it
>
> I copied the sshd_config from /etc/defaults/etc/sshd_config to /etc and now
> it works again as it should.
>
> Now I need to figure out what was the parameter that broke it

I look forward to those results too.

Also, please do not top post on this list.

-- Erik

* Re: openSsh
@ 2016-08-30 20:56 ` Massimo Balestra
From: Massimo Balestra @ 2016-08-30 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Forget it

I copied the sshd_config from /etc/defaults/etc/sshd_config to /etc and
now it works again as it should.

Now I need to figure out what was the parameter that broke it

Thank you

On 8/30/2016 10:44 AM, Massimo Balestra wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed several years ago my cygwin openssh server (sshd) and
> it worked very well for a long time.
> I use to connect to it in three ways:
> 1) from putty to open an interactive shell
> 2) from another cygwin on another PC using scp to copy files
> 3) (occasionally) from the cygwin on the other pc usin ssh to open an
> interactive shell or to execute simple commands.
>
> Some months ago, after an upgrade, my sshd started to change its behavior
> From Putty it still worked
> from the other cygwin ssh and scp hangs after the disconnect. I have
> to press ctrl+C to exit from ssh or scp
> for example:
> ssh me@remmote server "ls -l"
> shows me the result of the ls and then it stays there until I press
> ctrl+C
> Same behavior with scp
>
> Last week, after another update, it got even worse.
> From putty it hangs on disconnect and I have to close the window.
> from ssh after the disconnect (Ctrl+D) it hangs but the ctrl+C does
> nothing. I have to kill the ssh
> from scp it hangs but the ctrl+C still works
>
> I cannot understand what makes it hang.
> I searched on google, checked the configuration options, nothing.
> I deleted (renamed) all my bashrc files (in /etc/ and home dir) to see
> if there was a tunnel or something that would make it hang, but the
> only thing that changes is the prompt. It still hangs.
>
> Note: it is not a firewall problem. It does the same if I ssh from
> localhost.
>
> Can anyone help me to find a solution? It is very annoying.
>

> Thanks
> Massimo
>

> --

* Re: openSSH
@ 2011-10-09 15:05   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-10-09 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Kampe, cygwin

Greetings, Thorsten Kampe!

>> 4) What files from the ssh-user-config is it necessary to move to the
> other machine?

> None. Just re-run ssh-user-config.

You'd want to move your keys...

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: openSSH
@ 2011-10-07  8:10 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2011-10-07  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Clayton Evans (Wed, 5 Oct 2011 17:43:45 -0500)

> I have four questions that are not clear to after reading /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README.
>
> 1) When running ssh-host-config, what is the correct string to enter for the CYGWIN environment variable?

Just leave it blank.

> 2) When running ssh-host-config, is it necessary to use "pwd" as the
password for the user sshd_server?

No

> 3) Does one run ssh-user-config on the host machine or the client
machine?

Client

> 4) What files from the ssh-user-config is it necessary to move to the
other machine?

None. Just re-run ssh-user-config.

Thorsten

* openSSH
@ 2011-10-05 22:44 Clayton Evans
From: Clayton Evans @ 2011-10-05 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have four questions that are not clear to after reading /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README.

1) When running ssh-host-config, what is the correct string to enter for the CYGWIN environment variable?
2) When running ssh-host-config, is it necessary to use "pwd" as the password for the user sshd_server?  If yes, how does one change this if the password has been entered as something other than "pwd".
3) Does one run ssh-user-config on the host machine or the client machine?
4) What files from the ssh-user-config is it necessary to move to the other machine?

My problem is that I am not able to successfully authenticate ssh from the client to the host.  I am running sshd on a Windows 7 machine (host machine), the client machine is Windows XP.  I have run ssh-host-config and ssh-user-config on the host machine.  Attempting to ssh from the client has successfully moved/created ~/.ssh/known_hosts to the client.  The RSA, DSA and ECDSA keys fail ssh falls into password authentication.  My domain network password does not work.  I have copied the .ssh directory from the host to the client and have tried running ssh-user-config on the host. And moving id_rsa.pub to the host .ssh directory as authorized_keys.

$ ssh -v jti031
OpenSSH_5.8p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8r 8 Feb 2011
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: Connecting to jti031 [192.168.58.29] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/cevans/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /home/cevans/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/cevans/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: identity file /home/cevans/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/cevans/.ssh/id_ecdsa type 3
debug1: identity file /home/cevans/.ssh/id_ecdsa-cert type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_5.8
debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.8 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.8
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: sending SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_INIT
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_ECDH_REPLY
debug1: Server host key: ECDSA 03:5a:cf:bc:63:44:be:23:d3:a1:92:c1:df:f5:46:3b
debug1: Host 'jti031' is known and matches the ECDSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/cevans/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug1: ssh_ecdsa_verify: signature correct
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: Roaming not allowed by server
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Offering RSA public key: /home/cevans/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Offering DSA public key: /home/cevans/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Offering ECDSA public key: /home/cevans/.ssh/id_ecdsa
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: password
cevans@jti031's password:
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
Permission denied, please try again.
cevans@jti031's password:
Received disconnect from 192.168.58.29: 2: Too many authentication failures for
Cevans

/etc/passwd on the client does have the following line
cevans:unused:11149:10513:U-JOSHITECH\cevans,S-1-5-21-645071284-784862239-476427275-1149:/home/cevans:/bin/bash

/etc/passwd on the host does have the following line.
CEvans:unused:11149:544:U-JOSHITECH\cevans,S-1-5-21-645071284-784862239-476427275-1149:/cygdrive/d/home/CEvans:/bin/bash

Clayton Evans

* Re: OpenSSH
@ 2004-11-03  7:43       ` Tomasz Rojek
From: Tomasz Rojek @ 2004-11-03  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > $ mkpasswd -l -c -d | grep 'your_user_name' >>/etc/passwd
> > $ mkgroup -l -c -d | grep 'your_group_name' >>/etc/group
Definitely :)

--
Greetings

Tomasz Rojek

* Re: OpenSSH
@ 2004-11-02 14:52     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-11-02 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomasz Rojek; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Tomasz Rojek wrote:

> > IMO, you should do as following:
> >   $ mkpasswd -l -c >/etc/passwd
> >   $ mkgroup -l -c >/etc/group
> >
> > Use -d option if you want to add domain user.
> If your AD contains lots of users and groups then I would suggest this
> option:
>
> $ mkpasswd -l -c -d | grep 'your_user_name' >>/etc/passwd
> $ mkgroup -l -c -d | grep 'your_group_name' >>/etc/group

$ mkpasswd -l -c -d -u 'your_user_name' >> /etc/passwd
$ mkgroup -l -c -d -g 'your_group_name' >> /etc/group

should work a bit faster...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT

* Re: OpenSSH
@ 2004-11-02  8:15   ` Tomasz Rojek
From: Tomasz Rojek @ 2004-11-02  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> IMO, you should do as following:
>   $ mkpasswd -l -c >/etc/passwd
>   $ mkgroup -l -c >/etc/group
>
> Use -d option if you want to add domain user.
If your AD contains lots of users and groups then I would suggest this
option:

$ mkpasswd -l -c -d | grep 'your_user_name' >>/etc/passwd
$ mkgroup -l -c -d | grep 'your_group_name' >>/etc/group

WFM

--
Greetings

Tomasz Rojek

* Re: OpenSSH
@ 2004-10-28 16:12 ` Liang Wang
From: Liang Wang @ 2004-10-28 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

rickiez <rickiez@verizon.net> writes:

> I have a 2000 server running Cygwin and SSH and it has been working fine for a
> year or so, but I went to add a user to Active Directory and I can see the user
> in /etc/passwd

Do you mean you add user information into /etc/passwd manually?

IMO, you should do as following:
  $ mkpasswd -l -c >/etc/passwd
  $ mkgroup -l -c >/etc/group

Use -d option if you want to add domain user.

> but when I try to log in via SSH it denies me and logs it in
> event viewer as:
>
> The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be found. The local
> computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to
> display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of
> the event: sshd : PID 2348 : Failed password for illegal user "username" from
> 192.168.0.12 port 1079.
>

> I replaced the real username with "username" for security reasons.
>

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

* RE: OpenSSH
@ 2004-10-28 14:32 Markus Baumueller
From: Markus Baumueller @ 2004-10-28 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

rickiez wrote on Thursday, October 28, 2004 2:01 PM:

> [...]
> and I can see the user in /etc/passwd but when I try to log in via
> SSH it denies me and logs it in event viewer as:
>
> [...]
> computer. The following information is part of the event: sshd : PID
> 2348 : Failed password for illegal user "username" from 192.168.0.12
> port 1079.

AllowUsers in sshd_config?

bye,
Markus

* OpenSSH
@ 2004-10-28 13:28 rickiez
From: rickiez @ 2004-10-28 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a 2000 server running Cygwin and SSH and it has been working fine for a
year or so, but I went to add a user to Active Directory and I can see the user
in /etc/passwd but when I try to log in via SSH it denies me and logs it in

@ 2002-03-11  2:18       ` Bjoern Kahl AG Resy
From: Bjoern Kahl AG Resy @ 2002-03-11  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani; +Cc: 'Jörg Schiemann', cygwin

 Hallo!

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Stephano Mariani wrote:

> When the user is deleted, the permissions specific to that user are
> removed, I think... but donÂ’t quote me on that :)

 I dont know win2k, but on win NT 4 the permissions are not
 removed from the file system. they show up as "unknown user"
 or "unknown group" in explorer.
 Removing would requiere a full scan of the full filesystem.
 Not a good idea.

 Bjoern

 [ ... ]

* RE: openssh
@ 2002-03-08 13:03     ` Stephano Mariani
From: Stephano Mariani @ 2002-03-08 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jörg Schiemann', cygwin

That depends on your particular configuration. I run a Win2K Advanced
Server box with many guest class users. I have one user account, gmk,
which has no perms anywhere but /home/gmk (and %SYSTEMROOT%\Documents
and Settings\gmk of course).

When the user is deleted, the permissions specific to that user are
removed, I think... but don’t quote me on that :)

Stephano Mariani

* Re: openssh
@ 2002-03-08 11:47   ` Jörg Schiemann
From: Jörg Schiemann @ 2002-03-08 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Can I set windows permissions to "No Access" everywhere to the group
"guests"
or is it better to set it only to this specific user?

What happens with the ACL if I delete the User?

Jörg

--
"Stephano Mariani" <sk.mail@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Create a user as group "guests". Run mkpasswd. Create this users home
directory. Set windows permissions to deny full control everywhere but
in /home/{THIS_USER} using explorer. Run ssh-user-config as this user.

I have the same setup, it work beautifully except when they start to
consume a lot of memory.

Stephano Mariani

* RE: openssh
@ 2002-03-08 10:21 ` Stephano Mariani
From: Stephano Mariani @ 2002-03-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jörg Schiemann', cygwin

Create a user as group "guests". Run mkpasswd. Create this users home
directory. Set windows permissions to deny full control everywhere but
in /home/{THIS_USER} using explorer. Run ssh-user-config as this user.

I have the same setup, it work beautifully except when they start to
consume a lot of memory.

Stephano Mariani

* openssh
@ 2002-03-08 10:09 Jörg Schiemann
From: Jörg Schiemann @ 2002-03-08 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-03-02 13:53   ` Michael Erdely
From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-03-02 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Grr.... Refer TO the message.....

From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-03-02 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueFox, cygwin

At 04:36 PM 3/2/2001, BlueFox wrote:
>Just as a short note, though I'm sure everyone's already aware of it..the
>latest version of OpenSSH (at least 2.50) is portable to Cygwin out of the
>box so to speak. Perhaps this should be included as an update to the
>official Cygwin download package, for the sake of security or simply to keep
>up to date? :)

How is this different than OpenSSH-2.5.1p2-1 which Corinna announced today?

* Re: OpenSSH
@ 2001-03-02 13:49 ` Michael Erdely
From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-03-02 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Refer the the message at 0826 yesterday (March 1):

-ME

> Just as a short note, though I'm sure everyone's already aware of it..the
> latest version of OpenSSH (at least 2.50) is portable to Cygwin out of the
> box so to speak. Perhaps this should be included as an update to the
> official Cygwin download package, for the sake of security or simply to
keep
> up to date? :)
>
> -J.W.
>

> --

* OpenSSH
@ 2001-03-02 13:41 BlueFox
From: BlueFox @ 2001-03-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-12-31 13:28     ` Marc van Woerkom
From: Marc van Woerkom @ 1999-12-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sos; +Cc: mzabal, cygwin, ssh

> Yes, I did it.
>
> Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos

Please have a look at this beast

    http://www.openssh.com/

I used ssh-1.x and ssh-2.x versions under FreeBSD and now switched
over to OpenSSH.

So far it looks excellent and I have no problems using ssh and scp
with some big sites over the net that still run the traditional sshd
versions.

Please send me a mail, if you don't intend to port it, in that case
I will see how far I get with it.

Regards,
Marc

* OpenSSH