* Wrong file permissions
@ 2016-08-19 14:00 Björn Kautler
From: Björn Kautler @ 2016-08-19 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I have a problem I hope you can help me to solve.
I switched to a new box at work and copied over my whole cygwin folder via
rsync from the old box to the new one.
But now if I do "touch tmp", the file gets 060 permissions and not 644 like
before.
This is very disturbing, as not even "cat <<<foo" works but errors out with
"bash: cannot create temp file for here-document: Permission denied".

I hope you can help me with this one.
Regards
Björn

* Re: Wrong file permissions
@ 2016-08-19 15:22 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-08-19 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/19/2016 8:27 AM, Björn Kautler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem I hope you can help me to solve.
> I switched to a new box at work and copied over my whole cygwin folder via
> rsync from the old box to the new one.
> But now if I do "touch tmp", the file gets 060 permissions and not 644 like
> before.
> This is very disturbing, as not even "cat <<<foo" works but errors out with
> "bash: cannot create temp file for here-document: Permission denied".
>
> I hope you can help me with this one.

First, I suspect that Corinna, et al., will be interested in the output
of icacls applied to a file/folder in question, and possibly cygcheck
output.  Second, rsync'ing your stuff over probably does not respect
that you almost certainly have a new Windows SID on your new box.  You
probably need to change over ownership.  And any group(s) you assigned
probably did not carry over either.  Yeah, it's a pain moving to a new
box.  I suspect others on the list will have suggestions as to best
procedure to follow when moving over.

In any case, this suggests using Windows commands (manipulation from
a File Explorer opened with admin privileges) to insure that all your
files have the right owner, and (if you follow my scheme mentioned
below) to add a new group to the files (that can also be done using
a recursive chgrp once things are in a state to allow it).

For my part, I have found it helpful (or to my taste anyway) to create
a new group, distinct from my user identity.  (Windows typically kind
of conflates the two, i.e., each user *is* a group, and that group is
typically the primary group of files for which you are the primary
user / creator.)  I then chgrp all my Cygwin files to that group, and
also set folders to propagate their group to newly created files
(g+s, or 2000, permission on directories).  For my backup programs
to work I also set for all files/folders to have read access by
SYSTEM and for that to propagate from folders.  For files created by
Windows programs I still sometimes need to adjust their group manually
(sigh).

I hope this hasn't been too terse for you to get some useful guidance.

Cygwin community: Do we have guidance in the FAQ about moving a Cygwin
installation to a new box?  (I mean the user's files, not the install
done by setup -- which (IMO) should be redone on a new box, not copied.)

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: Wrong file permissions
@ 2016-08-22 10:58   ` Björn Kautler
From: Björn Kautler @ 2016-08-22 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss, cygwin

Hi Eliot,

thanks for your answer.

It seems this was an issue with the NTFS permissions.
I also was not able to access the folders via Windows Explorer.
After also fixing the Windows permissions it works now as expected so far.

Do you really think I got a new SID on the new box when logging in
with the same user of the same domain?
Can I check this somehow?

Why should the setup be redone on a new box?
I'd need to do redo all installations, configuration, and so on.
Besides ths permsissions issue I had, why shouldn't I just copy over
the whole cygwin root directory?
Everything cygwin related should be in there, isn't it?

Regards
Björn

* Re: Wrong file permissions
@ 2016-08-23 14:19     ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2016-08-23 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 3:59 AM, Björn Kautler  wrote:
> Hi Eliot,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>
> It seems this was an issue with the NTFS permissions.
> I also was not able to access the folders via Windows Explorer.
> After also fixing the Windows permissions it works now as expected so far.
>
> Do you really think I got a new SID on the new box when logging in
> with the same user of the same domain?
> Can I check this somehow?

Your domain user SID will remain the same, however, all of the local
machine's domain SIDs will be different as it is a different host on
the domain, so I would expect permissions problems for any/all machine
specific installations when doing a raw perms copy.

> Why should the setup be redone on a new box?
> I'd need to do redo all installations, configuration, and so on.

I usually do this via script.  Besides, after copying, unless you
first do a full update on your source every time you'd still need to
update to current for the latest fixes.

> Besides ths permsissions issue I had, why shouldn't I just copy over
> the whole cygwin root directory?
> Everything cygwin related should be in there, isn't it?

I would imagine all of the *files* are present in the cygwin root, but
I've never checked, and a simple file copy, even if the adjustments
are made to result in the correct permissions, will not get things
like registry entries.  (I don't know how many there are, but do know
I've seen some).

-- Erik

ps:  this is a "no top posting" email list; please put your comments
and responses inline with what your are responding to so you do not
disrupt the normal flow of reading.

* Re: Wrong file permissions
@ 2016-08-23 14:39       ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-08-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Soderquist, cygwin

On 8/23/2016 9:41 AM, Erik Soderquist wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 3:59 AM, Björn Kautler  wrote:

> Your domain user SID will remain the same, however, all of the local
> machine's domain SIDs will be different as it is a different host on
> the domain, so I would expect permissions problems for any/all machine
> specific installations when doing a raw perms copy.
>

> I would imagine all of the *files* are present in the cygwin root, but
> I've never checked, and a simple file copy, even if the adjustments
> are made to result in the correct permissions, will not get things
> like registry entries.  (I don't know how many there are, but do know
> I've seen some).

Thank you, Erik -- you answered better than I could have!  I don't
use a domain login, so the fact that my local SID is different has
been very plain to me!

Regards -- EM

* Re: Wrong file permissions
@ 2016-08-23 15:16         ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2016-08-23 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Eliot Moss  wrote:
> Thank you, Erik -- you answered better than I could have!  I don't
> use a domain login, so the fact that my local SID is different has
> been very plain to me!

Multiple years as a network admin managing Windows/Linux/UNIX hybrid
environments both with and without Windows AD involved has lead me to
many many interesting twists in how the SIDs are handled... I
particularly ran into the machine specific SIDs when ghosting client
machines for faster reload and deployment... You can imagine the fun I
had sorting out why adding a freshly ghosted machine to the domain
caused things to break on another machine...

-- Erik