* OpenSSL: FATAL
@ 2023-07-21 16:57 Lee
From: Lee @ 2023-07-21 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been getting random
  OpenSSL: FATAL
  OPENSSL_Uplink(008A7C34,08): no OPENSSL_Applink
crashes in an app built using
  ./configure  --host=i686-w64-mingw32

https://www.openssl.org/docs/faq.html
has this bit under
  I’ve compiled a program under Windows and it crashes: why?

  As per 0.9.8 the above limitation is eliminated for .DLLs. OpenSSL
.DLLs compiled with some specific run-time option [we insist on the
default /MD] can be deployed with application compiled with different
option or even different compiler. But there is a catch! Instead of
re-compiling OpenSSL toolkit, as you would have to with prior
versions, you have to compile small C snippet with compiler and/or
options of your choice. The snippet gets installed as
<install-root>/include/openssl/applink.c and should be either added to
your application project or simply #include-d in one [and only one] of
your application source files. Failure to link this shim module into
your application manifests itself as fatal “no OPENSSL_Applink”
run-time error.

I'm statically linking the app, so it isn't pulling in any mingw
openssl DLLs, but adding a
  #include <openssl/applink.c>
to one of the source files in the app does seem to fix the crashing.

So here's my questions:
1. Is including <openssl/applink.c> really the fix for the no
OPENSSL_Applink crashes or am I just (un?)lucky that the app hasn't
crashed again in my very limited testing?

2. I have mingw64-i686-openssl 3.0.9-0.1 installed.  Assuming I do
need the new include now, is this going to be a permanent requirement
or might a later mingw64-i686-openssl fix ??something?? and I won't
need that include?

TIA
Lee

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-07-21 16:57 UTC | newest]