* I got a '~' showing up as the Title of my Window
       [not found] <821097617.2117858.1657903471527.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2022-07-15 16:44 ` Kevin M. Wilson
From: Kevin M. Wilson @ 2022-07-15 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greetings,    Well, I've gone and done something, and I don't know how to fix it...Please help!
I start a terminal window on my windows machine, ssh'g to my Linux box. At the top lefthand corner of that window is a tilde, "~bash". The word disappears, leaving behind the 'tilde'. Plus, on the screen next to the prompt, a few seconds later...Another'tilde'. So...Suggestions?
Kevin

Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory tooverlook an offense.

Proverbs 19:11

* Re: I got a '~' showing up as the Title of my Window
@ 2022-07-15 19:17   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2022-07-15 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin M. Wilson, cygwin

On 7/15/2022 12:44 PM, Kevin M. Wilson via Cygwin wrote:
> Greetings,    Well, I've gone and done something, and I don't know how to fix it...Please help!
> I start a terminal window on my windows machine, ssh'g to my Linux box. At the top lefthand corner of that window is a tilde, "~bash". The word disappears, leaving behind the 'tilde'. Plus, on the screen next to the prompt, a few seconds later...Another'tilde'. So...Suggestions?
> Kevin

Presumably this is an xterm (or something like it) and bash (or
whatever) is setting the window title.  This can be done by sending
an escape sequence to the terminal.  You might look through the
various bash settings regarding that - though I personally control
it with my own scripts.

Best - EM

* Re: I got a '~' showing up as the Title of my Window
@ 2022-07-15 20:13   ` Lee
From: Lee @ 2022-07-15 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin M. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

On 7/15/22, Kevin M. Wilson via Cygwin wrote:

> Greetings,    Well, I've gone and done something, and I don't know how to
> fix it...Please help!
> I start a terminal window on my windows machine, ssh'g to my Linux box. At
> the top lefthand corner of that window is a tilde, "~bash". The word
> disappears, leaving behind the 'tilde'. Plus, on the screen next to the
> prompt, a few seconds later...Another'tilde'. So...Suggestions?

it's your PS1 setting

man bash and search for PROMPTING

Regards,
Lee