* ssh to cygwin-box and access remote exe fails saying exe is a directory
@ 2020-10-14  5:53 Raj Kumar Sanpui
From: Raj Kumar Sanpui @ 2020-10-14  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All,

I am trying to access an exe hosted in a shared drive in a remote machine.
(Please note: T*he exe is NOT hosted on the box where cygwin is installed
but a different one*.)

*Case 1: Which fails*
If i ssh to the Windows box where cygwin is installed, and then try to
access the remote exe it *fails saying "exe is a directory"*

[rundeck@den PKG_INSTALL_SERVICE]$ cat snapshot1.bat | ssh
rsanpui@cygwin-box

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
-bash: line 1: //remote-box/owshare/owinstal/Snapshot/SnapShot.exe: *Is a
directory*

What i have inside snapshot1.bat is simple -
[rundeck@den PKG_INSTALL_SERVICE]$ cat snapshot1.bat
"//remote-box/owshare/owinstal/Snapshot/SnapShot.exe"

*Case 2: Which works*
If i login to the Windows VM where cygwin is installed, and try to access
the same remote exe it works.

What am I missing? Please advise.

Thanks

* Re: ssh to cygwin-box and access remote exe fails saying exe is a directory
@ 2020-12-05 13:46 ` Raj Kumar Sanpui
From: Raj Kumar Sanpui @ 2020-12-05 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I haven't received any help/suggestions from the forum, but i tried digging
deeper.
Now i can see the "Is a directory" error happens if I do passwordless ssh
(copying my public key using ssh-copy-id) to remote Cygwin box and try
executing the exe, i get the error.

rsanpui@cygwin ~
$ "//DNVM/E920/System920/x86/MyWorld Client Install/install/setup.exe"
-bash: //DNVM/E920/System920/x86/MyWorld Client
Install/install/setup.exe: Is a directory

If i do a usual password based logging using ssh, then there is no error
message.
    rsanpui@cygwin ~
   $ "//DNVM/E920/System920/x86/MyWorld Client Install/install/setup.exe"

Guys, i am really stuck as we are trying to develop an application which
will do passwordless ssh and execution of the exe. Can someone please
suggest?

@ 2020-12-05 15:24   ` Raj Kumar Sanpui
From: Raj Kumar Sanpui @ 2020-12-05 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I feel, i got the answer to the question here:
https://superuser.com/questions/1607551/remote-login-using-ssh-keys-vs-password-weird-error-is-a-directory/1607563

This issue may be marked as close.