* mksnt sh is invoked when executing cygwin icon;
@ 2015-11-26  8:26 Kenneth Wolcott
From: Kenneth Wolcott @ 2015-11-26  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi;

  It seems that a 32bit Windows server with a pre-existing MKS Toolkit
installation prevents an interactive Cygwin window (mintty) from
starting properly.

  If the c:\mksnt directory (where MKS Tookkit is installed) is
renamed to c:\NOTmksnt, then double-clicking the Cygwin icon results
in:

"Failed to run C:/mksnt/sh.exe: No such file or directory"

But if the c:\NOTmksnt directory is renamed back to what it was, then
the window opens up with sh.exe from mksnt instead of bash and seems
to hang for a very long time.

   Why is this?  Part of me thinks that Cygwin and MKS Toolkit should
just coexist just fine, each not knowing about the other (c:\cygwin
and c:\mksnt).  Part of me thinks that I'd like to have Cygwin come
first in the path rather than having c:\mksnt first in the path.  Is
there a way to force the Cygwin install process (or fix it afterward)
to put Cygwin first?

  I tried to change /etc/profile so that the PATH variable was set to
exclusively Cygwin stuff, but that had no effect.

  How to fix this outside Cygwin? (The Windows side)

  How to fix this inside Cygwin?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

* Re: mksnt sh is invoked when executing cygwin icon;
@ 2015-11-26  9:30 ` David Macek
From: David Macek @ 2015-11-26  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 26. 11. 2015 2:27, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> Hi;
>
>   It seems that a 32bit Windows server with a pre-existing MKS Toolkit
> installation prevents an interactive Cygwin window (mintty) from
> starting properly.
>
>   If the c:\mksnt directory (where MKS Tookkit is installed) is
> renamed to c:\NOTmksnt, then double-clicking the Cygwin icon results
> in:
>
> "Failed to run C:/mksnt/sh.exe: No such file or directory"
>
> But if the c:\NOTmksnt directory is renamed back to what it was, then
> the window opens up with sh.exe from mksnt instead of bash and seems
> to hang for a very long time.
>
>    Why is this?  Part of me thinks that Cygwin and MKS Toolkit should
> just coexist just fine, each not knowing about the other (c:\cygwin
> and c:\mksnt).  Part of me thinks that I'd like to have Cygwin come
> first in the path rather than having c:\mksnt first in the path.  Is
> there a way to force the Cygwin install process (or fix it afterward)
> to put Cygwin first?
>
>   I tried to change /etc/profile so that the PATH variable was set to
> exclusively Cygwin stuff, but that had no effect.
>
>   How to fix this outside Cygwin? (The Windows side)
>
>   How to fix this inside Cygwin?

Sounds to me like your login shell is hard-coded to C:/mksnt/sh.exe.

What does `getent passwd $(whoami) | cut -d: -f7` say (run `C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i` directly to get a working shell)?

--
David Macek

* Re: mksnt sh is invoked when executing cygwin icon;
@ 2015-11-26 13:16   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2015-11-26 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 26.11.2015 09:26, EXT David Macek wrote:
> On 26. 11. 2015 2:27, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>> Hi;
>>
>>    It seems that a 32bit Windows server with a pre-existing MKS Toolkit
>> installation prevents an interactive Cygwin window (mintty) from
>> starting properly.
>>
>>    If the c:\mksnt directory (where MKS Tookkit is installed) is
>> renamed to c:\NOTmksnt, then double-clicking the Cygwin icon results
>> in:
>>
>> "Failed to run C:/mksnt/sh.exe: No such file or directory"
>>
>> But if the c:\NOTmksnt directory is renamed back to what it was, then
>> the window opens up with sh.exe from mksnt instead of bash and seems
>> to hang for a very long time.
>>
>>     Why is this?  Part of me thinks that Cygwin and MKS Toolkit should
>> just coexist just fine, each not knowing about the other (c:\cygwin
>> and c:\mksnt).  Part of me thinks that I'd like to have Cygwin come
>> first in the path rather than having c:\mksnt first in the path.  Is
>> there a way to force the Cygwin install process (or fix it afterward)
>> to put Cygwin first?
>>
>>    I tried to change /etc/profile so that the PATH variable was set to
>> exclusively Cygwin stuff, but that had no effect.
>>
>>    How to fix this outside Cygwin? (The Windows side)
>>
>>    How to fix this inside Cygwin?
> Sounds to me like your login shell is hard-coded to C:/mksnt/sh.exe.
>
> What does `getent passwd $(whoami) | cut -d: -f7` say (run `C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i` directly to get a working shell)?

And what does `readshortcut -a "$Desktop/Cygwin Terminal.lnk"` say?

* Re: mksnt sh is invoked when executing cygwin icon;
@ 2015-12-01  2:14     ` Kenneth Wolcott
From: Kenneth Wolcott @ 2015-12-01  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 4:02 AM, Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net> wrote:
> On 26.11.2015 09:26, EXT David Macek wrote:
>>
>> On 26. 11. 2015 2:27, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi;
>>>
>>>    It seems that a 32bit Windows server with a pre-existing MKS Toolkit
>>> installation prevents an interactive Cygwin window (mintty) from
>>> starting properly.
>>>
>>>    If the c:\mksnt directory (where MKS Tookkit is installed) is
>>> renamed to c:\NOTmksnt, then double-clicking the Cygwin icon results
>>> in:
>>>
>>> "Failed to run C:/mksnt/sh.exe: No such file or directory"
>>>
>>> But if the c:\NOTmksnt directory is renamed back to what it was, then
>>> the window opens up with sh.exe from mksnt instead of bash and seems
>>> to hang for a very long time.
>>>
>>>     Why is this?  Part of me thinks that Cygwin and MKS Toolkit should
>>> just coexist just fine, each not knowing about the other (c:\cygwin
>>> and c:\mksnt).  Part of me thinks that I'd like to have Cygwin come
>>> first in the path rather than having c:\mksnt first in the path.  Is
>>> there a way to force the Cygwin install process (or fix it afterward)
>>> to put Cygwin first?
>>>
>>>    I tried to change /etc/profile so that the PATH variable was set to
>>> exclusively Cygwin stuff, but that had no effect.
>>>
>>>    How to fix this outside Cygwin? (The Windows side)
>>>
>>>    How to fix this inside Cygwin?
>>
>> Sounds to me like your login shell is hard-coded to C:/mksnt/sh.exe.
>>
>> What does `getent passwd $(whoami) | cut -d: -f7` say (run
>> `C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i` directly to get a working shell)?

/bin/bash

> And what does `readshortcut -a "$Desktop/Cygwin Terminal.lnk"` say?

readshortcut: Load failed on C:\cygwin\Cygwin Terminal.lnk

What does that imply?

Thanks!
Ken