* waterproofing
@ 2020-08-06 14:17 Cary Lewis
From: Cary Lewis @ 2020-08-06 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Hayley Wine

Here is a summary of what's going on.

Originally the eavestrough downspout was terminating where the deck ends.
Our neighbours downspout terminates in roughly the same spot on their side
of the fence.

With the big rain storms over the weekend, water found its way under the
deck and to basement window that is under the deck, filling up the window
well and almost flooding the basement. The drain near the window was
draining very slowly.

Josh dug a trench beside the deck so the water would head towards the front
of the house, and would seep into the weeping tiles and eventually into the
sump.

He also rejigged our downspout so it terminates in the front of the house.

He wants to do a little more clean up on the trench and the downspout.

The waterproofing people that Darcy recommended came yesterday and said the
basement window wells are not done properly. They are filled up too high
with dirt. They recommend digging all four the window wells out, replacing
the dirt, and leaving about 4 inches below the window sill. This would
require dismantling the deck to allow them access to the window.

They want $1,200.00 for this, and extra if they put the deck back together.

It seems like a lot of money and hopefully with the change in how the water
drains now, it won't be a problem.

However, I think the drain under the deck is all clogged with dirt and
leaves, etc., that washed in during the weekend. The waterproofers say that
there is no way to clean it out without removing the drain, which requires
digging down to the foundation.

The ground under the deck has also been eroded by all the water, so if
there is water that makes its way under the deck it will wind up in the
window well and with the drain being slow, it will probably come into the
window again.

I think we should just leave it alone for now, but if that window well
fills up again we should do the work.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-08-06 14:17 UTC | newest]