* Setup 2.895, don't install everything, striking a balance
@ 2019-02-25 18:57 Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2019-02-25 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jon,

Thank you for all the work you do on Cygwin and especially the
setup.exe program.

In the past, I have always run a complete install of Cygwin because
it's faster than the alternative.

Is there a way to request only binaries and the needed config files
without being forced to download debug and source too?

I downloaded the x64 setup and requested a complete install over the we

* Re: Setup 2.895, don't install everything, striking a balance
@ 2019-02-25 20:21 ` Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2019-02-25 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ALL, Sorry for the premature send.

Jon,

Thank you for all the work you do on Cygwin and especially the
setup.exe program.

I saw this warning:
        https://cygwin.com/install.html
        Q: How do I install everything?
        A: You do not want to do this! This will install an enormous
number of packages that you will never use, including debuginfo and
source for every package.

I downloaded the x64 setup.exe and requested a complete install over
the weekend.  As stated in the warning above, the download and the
(attempted) install consumed all of a 128Gb disk which also had
Windows 10 on it.

Is there a way to request a complete install of everything EXCEPT
debuginfo and source?  If not, it is going to be difficult to obtain a
full Cygwin install along with a successful installation.

Thanks.

Keith

* Re: Setup 2.895, don't install everything, striking a balance
@ 2019-02-25 22:10   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-02-25 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Christian, cygwin

Greetings, Keith Christian!

> Thank you for all the work you do on Cygwin and especially the
> setup.exe program.

> I saw this warning:
>         https://cygwin.com/install.html
>         Q: How do I install everything?
>         A: You do not want to do this! This will install an enormous
> number of packages that you will never use, including debuginfo and
> source for every package.

> I downloaded the x64 setup.exe and requested a complete install over
> the weekend.  As stated in the warning above, the download and the
> (attempted) install consumed all of a 128Gb disk which also had
> Windows 10 on it.

> Is there a way to request a complete install of everything EXCEPT
> debuginfo and source?  If not, it is going to be difficult to obtain a
> full Cygwin install along with a successful installation.

As stated in the FAQ entry, you do not need a full Cygwin install.
Nobody do, not even Cygwin developers.
Write down the names of packages you need, and automate their installation via
script, if you reinstall systems often.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Setup 2.895, don't install everything, striking a balance
@ 2019-02-26  4:12     ` Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2019-02-26  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 3:05 PM Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Greetings, Keith Christian!
>
> > Thank you for all the work you do on Cygwin and especially the
> > setup.exe program.
>
> > I saw this warning:
> >         https://cygwin.com/install.html
> >         Q: How do I install everything?
> >         A: You do not want to do this! This will install an enormous
> > number of packages that you will never use, including debuginfo and
> > source for every package.
>
> > I downloaded the x64 setup.exe and requested a complete install over
> > the weekend.  As stated in the warning above, the download and the
> > (attempted) install consumed all of a 128Gb disk which also had
> > Windows 10 on it.
>
> > Is there a way to request a complete install of everything EXCEPT
> > debuginfo and source?  If not, it is going to be difficult to obtain a
> > full Cygwin install along with a successful installation.
>
> As stated in the FAQ entry, you do not need a full Cygwin install.
> Nobody do, not even Cygwin developers.
> Write down the names of packages you need, and automate their installation
> via
> script, if you reinstall systems often.
>

> --
> With best regards,
> Andrey Repin
> Tuesday, February 26, 2019 1:00:33
>
> Sorry for my terrible english...

Andrey,

Thanks for the info, but I like to try everything Cygwin has and  it’s more
efficient to simply install everything.

Time is valuable, it would really be nice to have the option to install all
of the binaries at the same point.

Keith

* Re: Setup 2.895, don't install everything, striking a balance
@ 2019-02-26  6:52       ` Denis Excoffier
From: Denis Excoffier @ 2019-02-26  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Christian, cygwin; +Cc: Denis Excoffier

> On 2019-02-26 à 04:12, Keith Christian wrote:
>

>>> Is there a way to request a complete install of everything EXCEPT
>>> debuginfo and source?  If not, it is going to be difficult to obtain a
>>> full Cygwin install along with a successful installation.

Hello,

Select "Category", you obtain a single line with "All". Unfold "All". Select "Install" on the line of "All", and "Default" on the line of "Debug".

That’s it. "Source" is not selected by default. Some (but very few) debuginfo still get installed.

Regards,

Denis Excoffier.

* Re: Setup 2.895, don't install everything, striking a balance
@ 2019-02-27 15:38         ` Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2019-02-27 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Hello,
>
> Select "Category", you obtain a single line with "All". Unfold "All". Select "Install" on the line of "All", and "Default" on the line of "Debug".
>
> That’s it. "Source" is not selected by default. Some (but very few) debuginfo still get installed.

Thanks Denis, with your instructions I was able to successfully get
the exact packages that I wanted.

https://cygwin.com/install.html seems to infer that source truly is
included when installing everything:

<<<<< A: You do not want to do this! This will install an enormous
number of packages that you will never use, including debuginfo
*****and source***** for every package.>>>>>

Perhaps a button could be added on the setup window for those who want
to install all binaries and associated configs but without every
debuginfo file, or at least a two or three line help window with an OK
button.

I initially tried the "default install," but python and other packages
were missing, so, to save time I installed everything.

I've become accustomed to make regular use of a wide range of packages.