* How to start KDE in Cygwin/X vs LXDE
@ 2021-12-21 22:39 Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2021-12-21 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When I click the XWin Server icon on the task bar, Cygwin/X starts up
just fine, and so does the LXDE desktop.

In the Start Menu, Cygwin/X offers several desktop environments
including KDE-Openbox, but choosing that shows the KDE "gear" icon and
then the LXDE desktop appears instead.

The kde-workspace kde-workspace-4.11.22-1.tar.bz2 1 package is
installed, not sure how to force X to invoke KDE instead of LXDE.

Environment is Windows 10, CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.3.3.

Thanks!

* Re: How to start KDE in Cygwin/X vs LXDE
@ 2021-12-23 19:11 ` Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2021-12-23 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After a bit of research, I discovered that "Plasma" is the "KDE
Desktop" I was looking for, and there are these 16 choices.
By running #16, "XWin Server" there is an additional X icon with a
green interion in the "hidden icons" list, which has an extensive menu
of X programs to run.

     1  Fluxbox
     2  FVWM
     3  GNOME Flashback (Metacity)
     4  GNOME-Openbox
     5  KDE-Openbox
     6  LXDE
     7  LXQt Desktop
     8  MATE
     9  Openbox
    10  Plasma
    11  User script
    12  WindowMaker
    13  Xfce Session
    14  XLaunch
    15  XtoW
    16  XWin Server

Thanks to the Cygwin team for all of their hard work this past year on
making Cygwin even better!

Happy Holidays!