* Sharing my packages for CYGWIN
@ 2022-11-17 15:18 Carlo B.
From: Carlo B. @ 2022-11-17 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
at this address I did a repository of packages that I made for CYGWIN:

https://github.com/carlo-bramini/packages-cygwin

Sometimes, when I need something not existing (or newer) into the
official list of packages for CYGWIN, I upload it here.
All these packages exists also in all major linux distributions.
I hope that you will find it useful.

===========
bzip2-1.0.8-1

These packages are an update to version 1.0.8 for the MinGW64 compilers.

===========
ffmpeg-5.1.2-1

FFmpeg is a multimedia framework, able to decode, encode, transcode,
mux, demux, stream, filter and play pretty much anything that humans
and machines have created.

Packages available for CYGWIN and MinGW64.

===========
glfw-3.3.8

GLFW is an Open Source, multi-platform library for OpenGL, OpenGL ES
and Vulkan development on the desktop.

Packages available for CYGWIN and MinGW64.

===========
liblo-0.31-1

Open Sound Control protocol for POSIX systems.

Packages available for CYGWIN and MinGW64.

===========
nettle-3.8.1-1

Low-level cryptographic library.

Packages available for CYGWIN and MinGW64.

===========
sbsms-2.3.0-1

A library for high quality time stretching and pitch scaling of audio.

Packages available for CYGWIN and MinGW64.

===========
soxr-0.1.3-1

These packages are an update of existing packages to version 0.1.3.

Packages available for CYGWIN and MinGW64.

===========
utfcpp-3.2.1-1

utf8cpp is a library for handling UTF-8 in C++.

Packages available for CYGWIN and MinGW64.

===========
wavpack-5.5.0-1

These packages are an update of existing packages to version 5.5.0.

Packages available for CYGWIN and MinGW64.

===========
win-iconv-0.0.8-1

These packages are an update to version 0.0.8 for the MinGW64 compilers.

NOTE: current win-iconv provided by CYGWIN is bugged. The existing
package version 0.0.6 is compiled with calls to
InterlockedCompareExchange(), which are absolutely unused by the
library. Probably, this happened because it was compiled with an
ancient version of W32API, with those functions statically used into
the header files. As result, this blocks the usage of win-iconv on
older versions of Windows 9x/ME/NT4. I discovered this issue when
compiling the SCUMMVM virtual machine, for running it on older
versions of Windows.

===========
xa65-2.3.13-1

xa is a cross-assembler for the 6502 and 65816 CPUs (and derivatives).

Packages available for CYGWIN.

===========

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.

* Re: Sharing my packages for CYGWIN
@ 2022-11-17 16:03 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2022-11-17 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/17/2022 10:18 AM, Carlo B. wrote:
> Hello,
> at this address I did a repository of packages that I made for CYGWIN:
>
> https://github.com/carlo-bramini/packages-cygwin
>
> Sometimes, when I need something not existing (or newer) into the
> official list of packages for CYGWIN, I upload it here.
> All these packages exists also in all major linux distributions.
> I hope that you will find it useful.

It would be more useful if you would volunteer to be the Cygwin maintainer of
some or all of these packages.  Please follow-up on the cygwin-apps list if you
are willing to do this.

Ken

* Re: Sharing my packages for CYGWIN
@ 2022-11-18 14:32   ` Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2022-11-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Carlo,

Since you are successfully creating Cygwin packages, one thing that
would be very helpful is a detailed set of instructions for cygport to
create a Cygwin package from source.
There are instructions posted on the Cygwin website and other info
about cygport, but I have not found a comprehensive document that
makes packaging nearly "mistake-proof" for uninitiated packagers.
(Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.)
E.g., I want to create an up to date Ansible package for personal use,
as the current version in Cygwin is 2.8.4, and it appears Ansible is
up to at least 2.10.7, as that version is available in Debian
Bullseye.

Thanks.

* Re: Sharing my packages for CYGWIN
@ 2022-12-04 18:45 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-12-04 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17/11/2022 15:18, Carlo B. wrote:
> Hello,
> at this address I did a repository of packages that I made for CYGWIN:
>
> https://github.com/carlo-bramini/packages-cygwin
>
> Sometimes, when I need something not existing (or newer) into the
> official list of packages for CYGWIN, I upload it here.
> All these packages exists also in all major linux distributions.
> I hope that you will find it useful.

Thanks for working on these.

I'd really encourage you to share your updated .cygport files on the
cygwin-apps list, even if you don't wish to take over maintainer-ship of
those packages.

That means your efforts are available via our setup and package
repository mirrors, and so will reach a wider audience than just hosting
the package yourself.

* Re: Sharing my packages for CYGWIN
@ 2022-12-04 18:45     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-12-04 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18/11/2022 14:32, Keith Christian wrote:
> Carlo,
>
> Since you are successfully creating Cygwin packages, one thing that
> would be very helpful is a detailed set of instructions for cygport to
> create a Cygwin package from source.
> There are instructions posted on the Cygwin website and other info
> about cygport, but I have not found a comprehensive document that
> makes packaging nearly "mistake-proof" for uninitiated packagers.
> (Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.)

I know our documentation could be improved, but you seem to be asking
for something which seems impossible.

Some pieces of software are complex and very hard to package, and even
experienced packagers can make mistakes.

Can you perhaps explain more specifically where you get stuck in the
process, and cannot find help?

> E.g., I want to create an up to date Ansible package for personal use,
> as the current version in Cygwin is 2.8.4, and it appears Ansible is
> up to at least 2.10.7, as that version is available in Debian
> Bullseye.

As [1] suggests, you should start by taking the existing package and
updating the version number.

Hopefully it just works, but we cannot possibly anticipate all of the
package-specific problems that might arise.

[1] https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html#adopt