* Cygwin/X fatal error
@ 2022-01-08  6:57 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2022-01-08  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

Not quite sure what recent update has caused this failure.
Up to now (and for a very long time indeed) typing
$ /bin/xinit  /bin/xterm  --  -nolock  -multiwindow
at the mintty prompt has successfully started an xterm process.
Now I get:
"A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit.
Cannot establish any listening sockets."
Over the years the one-liner typed above has had to evolve with changing execs so I'm not surprised, or bothered, at this glitch.
But can anybody please advise the necessary change in syntax that will again enable a successful xterm from mintty?
Thank you!

* Re: Cygwin/X fatal error
@ 2022-01-08  8:35 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2022-01-08  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08.01.2022 07:57, Fergus Daly wrote:
> Not quite sure what recent update has caused this failure.
> Up to now (and for a very long time indeed) typing
> $ /bin/xinit  /bin/xterm  --  -nolock  -multiwindow
> at the mintty prompt has successfully started an xterm process.
> Now I get:
> "A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit.
> Cannot establish any listening sockets."
> Over the years the one-liner typed above has had to evolve with changing execs so I'm not surprised, or bothered, at this glitch.
> But can anybody please advise the necessary change in syntax that will again enable a successful xterm from mintty?
> Thank you!

Hi Fergus,
It works for me, so it seems not due to the sintax

Can you start X with startxwin ?

Please provide the cygcheck.out as mentioned on

Regards
Marco

* RE: Cygwin/X fatal error
@ 2022-01-08 10:55 ` Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2022-01-08 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

On 08.01.2022 07:57, Fergus Daly wrote:
> Not quite sure what recent update has caused this failure.
> Up to now (and for a very long time indeed) typing
> $ /bin/xinit  /bin/xterm  --  -nolock  -multiwindow
> at the mintty prompt has successfully started an xterm process.
> Now I get:
> "A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit.
> Cannot establish any listening sockets."
> Over the years the one-liner typed above has had to evolve with changing execs so I'm not surprised, or bothered, at this glitch.
> But can anybody please advise the necessary change in syntax that will again enable a successful xterm from mintty?
> Thank you!

Marco Atzero replied:
> Hi Fergus,
> It works for me, so it seems not due to the sintax
> Can you start X with startxwin ?
> Please provide the cygcheck.out as mentioned on
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> Regards
> Marco

SOLVED
I ran
$ rm  -vrf  /tmp/.X11*
in order to enable a "fresh start" and all is good.
On all devices and for both Cygwin32 and Cygwin64.
Thank you, Marco.
Fergus

* Re: Cygwin/X fatal error
@ 2022-01-10 16:04   ` Massimiliano Alvioli
From: Massimiliano Alvioli @ 2022-01-10 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all - and happy 2022 to everybody.

> I ran
> $ rm  -vrf  /tmp/.X11*
> in order to enable a "fresh start" and all is good.

I have the same problem after the last update. I usually start cygwin
with Xlaunch, and
I get the same error message; now, every time I start cygwin I have to
go and delete
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0 manually. It won't be deleted when I close cygwin.
Any chance I can
do something to prevent this behavior, or shall I wait the next update
for a fix?

ciao!

Massi