* Emacs gud not working on new installation
@ 2020-03-04 15:39 William M. (Mike) Miller
From: William M. (Mike) Miller @ 2020-03-04 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I installed Cygwin on a new computer last weekend. On my previous computer,
I used gud with gdb in emacs (M-x gdb) for debugging. However, on the new
computer it is not working. I suspect that gdb is producing output that is
not formatted correctly for gud to parse.

When I start gud in emacs on the new computer, I get the usual 6-pane
configuration, and gdb puts out its usual configuration and start-up
information. When I type the "run" command, however, the program being
debugged starts and runs, the command pane correctly displays the usual
"Starting program" messaged, but the "[New thread...", etc. messages and
any further gdb output (breakpoint messages, output of "info", etc.) do
not. The program input/output pane updates, but none of the others do. I
can type commands that are correctly passed through to gdb, but no gdb
output ever appears in the command pane.

I also tried just the plain "M-x gud-gdb" interface, and that may give a
hint as to what is going on. I did get the gdb output, but with only
newlines, no carriage returns, in the command pane. That is, each
successive line of output from gdb began one character to the right of the
last character of the previous line instead of beginning in column 0, as it
did on the old computer.

Any suggestions for how to diagnose or fix the problem would be most
appreciated.

--
William M. (Mike) Miller | Edison Design Group
william.m.miller@gmail.com

* Re: Emacs gud not working on new installation
@ 2020-03-04 15:59 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2020-03-04 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/4/2020 9:44 AM, William M. (Mike) Miller wrote:
> I installed Cygwin on a new computer last weekend. On my previous computer,
> I used gud with gdb in emacs (M-x gdb) for debugging. However, on the new
> computer it is not working. I suspect that gdb is producing output that is
> not formatted correctly for gud to parse.
>
> When I start gud in emacs on the new computer, I get the usual 6-pane
> configuration, and gdb puts out its usual configuration and start-up
> information. When I type the "run" command, however, the program being
> debugged starts and runs, the command pane correctly displays the usual
> "Starting program" messaged, but the "[New thread...", etc. messages and
> any further gdb output (breakpoint messages, output of "info", etc.) do
> not. The program input/output pane updates, but none of the others do. I
> can type commands that are correctly passed through to gdb, but no gdb
> output ever appears in the command pane.
>
> I also tried just the plain "M-x gud-gdb" interface, and that may give a
> hint as to what is going on. I did get the gdb output, but with only
> newlines, no carriage returns, in the command pane. That is, each
> successive line of output from gdb began one character to the right of the
> last character of the previous line instead of beginning in column 0, as it
> did on the old computer.
>
> Any suggestions for how to diagnose or fix the problem would be most
> appreciated.

I don't know whether this is an emacs problem or a Cygwin problem.  Here
are two things you can try:

1. Roll back the cygwin package to 3.0.7 to see if that fixes the
problem.  If so, the problem is likely related to the pty changes in
cygwin-3.1.x.

2. Try updating emacs to the test release for the upcoming emacs-27,
which I will be uploading shortly.

Ken

* Re: Emacs gud not working on new installation
@ 2020-03-04 18:16   ` William M. (Mike) Miller
From: William M. (Mike) Miller @ 2020-03-04 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 9:58 AM Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:

> On 3/4/2020 9:44 AM, William M. (Mike) Miller wrote:
> > I installed Cygwin on a new computer last weekend. On my previous
> computer,
> > I used gud with gdb in emacs (M-x gdb) for debugging. However, on the new
> > computer it is not working. I suspect that gdb is producing output that
> is
> > not formatted correctly for gud to parse.

  [...snip...]

> I don't know whether this is an emacs problem or a Cygwin problem.  Here
> are two things you can try:
>
> 1. Roll back the cygwin package to 3.0.7 to see if that fixes the
> problem.  If so, the problem is likely related to the pty changes in
> cygwin-3.1.x.

This worked. Thanks for the tip!

--

@ 2020-03-05 13:05     ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2020-03-05 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 10:39:11 -0500
"William M. (Mike) Miller" wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 9:58 AM Ken Brown wrote:
>
> > On 3/4/2020 9:44 AM, William M. (Mike) Miller wrote:
> > > I installed Cygwin on a new computer last weekend. On my previous
> > computer,
> > > I used gud with gdb in emacs (M-x gdb) for debugging. However, on the new
> > > computer it is not working. I suspect that gdb is producing output that
> > is
> > > not formatted correctly for gud to parse.
>
>   [...snip...]
>

> > I don't know whether this is an emacs problem or a Cygwin problem.  Here
> > are two things you can try:
> >
> > 1. Roll back the cygwin package to 3.0.7 to see if that fixes the
> > problem.  If so, the problem is likely related to the pty changes in
> > cygwin-3.1.x.
> >

> This worked. Thanks for the tip!

I guess starting emacs with:
CYGWIN=disable_pcon emacs
helps in cygwin 3.1.4.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: Emacs gud not working on new installation
@ 2020-03-05 14:27       ` William M. (Mike) Miller
From: William M. (Mike) Miller @ 2020-03-05 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 5:40 AM Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>
wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 10:39:11 -0500
> "William M. (Mike) Miller" wrote:

> > > computer,
> the new
> that
> > > is
> >
> >   [...snip...]
> >

> > > I don't know whether this is an emacs problem or a Cygwin problem.
> Here
> > > are two things you can try:
> > >
> > > 1. Roll back the cygwin package to 3.0.7 to see if that fixes the
> > > problem.  If so, the problem is likely related to the pty changes in
> > > cygwin-3.1.x.
> > >

> > This worked. Thanks for the tip!
>
> I guess starting emacs with:
> CYGWIN=disable_pcon emacs
> helps in cygwin 3.1.4.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind in case I update to a newer version of
Cygwin before this issue is addressed.