* Download without installing
@ 2016-06-06  7:39 Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2016-06-06  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello cygwinners,

I've observed for several weeks something strange, and I'd like to ask
here if it's a bug or my misunderstanding.

I've just tried this:
1. Run setup.exe version 2.874 (32 bit).
2. Select the option "Download Without Installing", to download a
   basic (default) repository to an empty local directory.
3. I see a "Resolving Dependencies" window, showing extra packages
   that supposedly will be intalled to satisfly some dependencies.  I
   accept the default settings.

Well, after the setup program is done downloading all the packages to
my new local repo, I repeat the above process, to verify that this
second time there is no need to download anything.  But to my
surprise, in the "Select Packages" stage, if I select the "Pending"
view, I see again the same list of packages of the first time, and
when I click "next", I see the same "Resolving Dependencies" window
with the same extra packages.  Finally, when I click "next", no
dowloading takes place this time.

This seems to me like a bug in the installer.  I think that the
"Pending" view should be empty the second time I ran the installer
(and of course no "extra dependencies" should be advertised to
install).

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Dani Moncayo

* Re: Download without installing
@ 2016-06-06  8:59 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-06  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo <at> gmail.com> writes:
> This seems to me like a bug in the installer.  I think that the
> "Pending" view should be empty the second time I ran the installer
> (and of course no "extra dependencies" should be advertised to
> install).

No.  You haven't installed anything yet and the package selection is still
the same, so you get the same set of packages (and their dependencies)
shown.  Setup alway shows the list of packages pending vs. the installation
(again, you have none on both attempts).  That "download only" switch only
prevents the actual installation, it is not a separate "mode" of operating
setup that suddenly compares against what is already downloaded.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Download without installing
@ 2016-06-06  9:37   ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2016-06-06  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> This seems to me like a bug in the installer.  I think that the
>> "Pending" view should be empty the second time I ran the installer
>> (and of course no "extra dependencies" should be advertised to
>> install).
>
> No.  You haven't installed anything yet and the package selection is still
> the same, so you get the same set of packages (and their dependencies)
> shown.  Setup alway shows the list of packages pending vs. the installation
> (again, you have none on both attempts).  That "download only" switch only
> prevents the actual installation, it is not a separate "mode" of operating
> setup that suddenly compares against what is already downloaded.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

Understood.  Thank you!

--