* patch not working on Windows 7 x64
@ 2012-07-23 19:20 Robert Dailey
From: Robert Dailey @ 2012-07-23 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm using Cygwin on Windows 7 x64 and when I run just 'patch', it
hangs and never returns. If I do 'patch --help', help is printed just
fine. I'm not sure why this is happening.

Any help getting this working?

* Re: patch not working on Windows 7 x64
@ 2012-07-23 19:28 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-07-23 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 23 14:20, Robert Dailey wrote:
> I'm using Cygwin on Windows 7 x64 and when I run just 'patch', it
> hangs and never returns. If I do 'patch --help', help is printed just
> fine. I'm not sure why this is happening.
>
> Any help getting this working?

Getting *what* working?  If you just run patch without any options,
then hanging is exactly the right thing to do for patch, since it's
waiting for input.  Try `man patch' and read about the -i option.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: patch not working on Windows 7 x64
@ 2012-07-23 19:31 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-07-23 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/23/2012 9:20 PM, Robert Dailey wrote:
> I'm using Cygwin on Windows 7 x64 and when I run just 'patch', it
> hangs and never returns. If I do 'patch --help', help is printed just
> fine. I'm not sure why this is happening.
>
> Any help getting this working?

Are you sure to have read the manual ?
 From "man patch"
NAME
        patch - apply a diff file to an original

SYNOPSIS
        patch [options] [originalfile [patchfile]]

        but usually just

        patch -pnum <patchfile
[cut]
if you give no patchfile "patch" is waiting the diff
from stdin, so it is not hanging at all

Marco

* Re: patch not working on Windows 7 x64
@ 2012-07-23 19:33   ` Robert Dailey
       [not found]     ` <A9D8BF3D8A74DF4A925FB541C0F39D2A16C2117A7A@NIHMLBX15.nih.gov>
From: Robert Dailey @ 2012-07-23 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well it hangs no matter what I do, I've also tried:

patch bug.patch

And it still hangs...

@ 2012-07-23 19:41     ` marco atzeri
       [not found]     ` <A9D8BF3D8A74DF4A925FB541C0F39D2A16C2117A7A@NIHMLBX15.nih.gov>
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-07-23 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/23/2012 9:33 PM, Robert Dailey wrote:
> Well it hangs no matter what I do, I've also tried:
>
> patch bug.patch
>
> And it still hangs...

1) do not top post

2)  try "patch -i bug.patch"

@ 2012-07-23 19:53       ` Robert Dailey
From: Robert Dailey @ 2012-07-23 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I did read the documentation, and obviously I'm still posting here
because that didn't help. Everyone is pretty rude on this list...

Feeding the file in from stdin like this does work, however the
documentation makes it seem like I can pass the file name in directly
and it will open it and read its contents. I guess not - it has
misleading documentation.

@ 2012-07-23 20:13         ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-07-23 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/23/2012 9:52 PM, Robert Dailey wrote:
> I did read the documentation, and obviously I'm still posting here
> because that didn't help. Everyone is pretty rude on this list...

sorry to give you such impression.
Please find here some basic instruction to understand the matter

http://www.linuxtutorialblog.com/post/introduction-using-diff-and-patch-tutorial

> Feeding the file in from stdin like this does work, however the
> documentation makes it seem like I can pass the file name in directly
> and it will open it and read its contents. I guess not - it has
> misleading documentation.

the documentation is not cygwin specific, linux one is identical.

Feel free to complain upstream and propose alternative documentation.

Regards
Marco