* git alias for "status" not working
@ 2017-03-27 12:23 David Dombrowsky
From: David Dombrowsky @ 2017-03-27 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm not sure how to debug this one.  I have a ~/.gitconfig that sets up
an alias for "git status" using the simple rule:

[alias]
    st = status

Yet, something is failing when I run it from the command line:

$ git st
[nothing happens]
$ git status
On branch 3.3-dev-davidd
Your branch is ahead of 'origin/3.3-dev-davidd' by 2 commits.
[... etc ...]

Any ideas?

This is for git version 2.8.3 on
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 [...] 2.7.0(0.306/5/3) 2017-02-12 13:18 x86_64 Cygwin

--
David Dombrowsky, Senior Software Engineer
email: davek@6thstreetradio.org

* Re: git alias for "status" not working
@ 2017-03-27 12:48 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2017-03-27 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/27/2017 8:17 AM, David Dombrowsky wrote:
> I'm not sure how to debug this one.  I have a ~/.gitconfig that sets up
> an alias for "git status" using the simple rule:
>
> [alias]
>     st = status
>
> Yet, something is failing when I run it from the command line:
>
> $ git st
> [nothing happens]
> $ git status
> On branch 3.3-dev-davidd
> Your branch is ahead of 'origin/3.3-dev-davidd' by 2 commits.
> [... etc ...]
>
> Any ideas?

st is also a prefix of "stash".  Maybe it does not like aliases
that are prefixes of other commands?

Regards - EM

* Re: git alias for "status" not working
@ 2017-03-27 14:31   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-03-27 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/27/2017 8:23 AM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 3/27/2017 8:17 AM, David Dombrowsky wrote:
>> I'm not sure how to debug this one.  I have a ~/.gitconfig that sets up
>> an alias for "git status" using the simple rule:
>>
>> [alias]
>>     st = status
>>
>> Yet, something is failing when I run it from the command line:
>>
>> $ git st
>> [nothing happens]
>> $ git status
>> On branch 3.3-dev-davidd
>> Your branch is ahead of 'origin/3.3-dev-davidd' by 2 commits.
>> [... etc ...]
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> st is also a prefix of "stash".  Maybe it does not like aliases
> that are prefixes of other commands?

Also check the line endings of the config file.  Make sure they are UNIX
line endings instead of Windows.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: git alias for "status" not working
@ 2017-03-27 20:03     ` David Dombrowsky
       [not found]       ` <CAHdnY6MVhf3sf4vEVu2pJzGQbU6Hyajetm3E9eg-wmy33q3Y+w@mail.gmail.com>
From: David Dombrowsky @ 2017-03-27 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:24 AM, cyg Simple <cygsimple@gmail.com> wrote:
>> st is also a prefix of "stash".  Maybe it does not like aliases
>> that are prefixes of other commands?

Without the entry in the config file, `git st` results in the expected

git: 'st' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

It's possible there's a string parse error, but using an alias of
"stx" doesn't work either.  Nor does 'xyzzy'.

> Also check the line endings of the config file.  Make sure they are UNIX
> line endings instead of Windows.

Yes, they are unix line endings.  I normally use a symlink for
~/.gitconfig, and I also tried with with and without the symlink.
Same result.

--

@ 2017-05-15 13:03         ` David Dombrowsky
From: David Dombrowsky @ 2017-05-15 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

FYI: after the latest cygwin update to git v 2.12.3, this is no longer
a problem.

Setting an alias like "st = status -uno" works as expected.  Many
thanks to the maintainer.