* xauth issue (remote X w/putty via Cygwin/XWin)
@ 2015-09-15 15:56 Chris Louden
From: Chris Louden @ 2015-09-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Following up on this post:

https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2015-02/msg00075.html

Is there any news regarding the getting "listen tcp" issue with xauth
resolved. The workaround mentioned works but isn't ideal in the
environment I have.

-Chris

* Re: xauth issue (remote X w/putty via Cygwin/XWin)
@ 2015-09-22 15:48 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2015-09-22 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: chrislouden

On 15/09/2015 16:56, Chris Louden wrote:
> Following up on this post:
>
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2015-02/msg00075.html
>
> Is there any news regarding the getting "listen tcp" issue with xauth
> resolved. The workaround mentioned works but isn't ideal in the
> environment I have.

No progress, but a couple more suggestions:

cygwin now has an X11 PuTTY client package.  I haven't tested that, but
I guess that should be able to find the X display and authority file
without any special configuration.

Alternatively, you could patch xinit to use a deterministic name for the
authority file e.g. ~/.serverauth.hostname.display rather than
~/.serverauth.pid.

(If you write such a patch, please submit it, as that would probably be
acceptable in our package and maybe upstream.  Using just the pid seems
wrong, as there potentially could be collisions in a shared home directory)

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: xauth issue (remote X w/putty via Cygwin/XWin)
@ 2015-09-22 16:04   ` Chris Louden
From: Chris Louden @ 2015-09-22 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I did attempt to use the Cygwin version of Putty but encountered
several errors. I ended adding a post-install script that makes the
following changes in /bin/startxwin and /bin/startx

defaultserverargs="-multiwindow -listen tcp"'
enable_xauth=0

This seems to allow functionality with our external (to Cygwin)
version of Putty however I am still testing.

-Chris