* VULNERABILITY REPORT: DLL Hijacking Vulnerability in CygWin setup-x86_64.exe
@ 2023-09-27 12:13 Suman Chakraborty
From: Suman Chakraborty @ 2023-09-27 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hey Cygwin Team,

I hope this email finds you well. As an independent security researcher, I
often explore open-source projects to identify and report potential
security vulnerabilities. During my recent exploration of Cygwin, I came
across a critical vulnerability in setup-x86_64.exe
<https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe> that I believe warrants your
immediate attention.

1. Executive Summary:

The vulnerability pertains to not finding the profapi.dll and insecure
exploited, this vulnerability could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary
code on a victim's machine, potentially leading to data breaches, system
compromise, and other malicious activities.

2. Details of the Vulnerability:

Type: DLL Hijacking
Affected Component: profapi.dll
Impact: Remote Code Execution, Data Theft or
Manipulation, Persistence, Bypassing Security Mechanisms, Spreading Malware.
working directory (CWD). If a malicious version of test.dll is present in
the CWD, the application will inadvertently load and execute the malicious
DLL.

3. Proof of Concept:

I've attached a proof of concept to this email, demonstrating the
vulnerability in action. Please review it to understand the potential
impact and exploitability.
The link is given below:
POC Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11rBPnImiZS-CEwPM9eBlU6GSHjHYD2ns/view?usp=sharing

4. Recommended Mitigation:

To address this vulnerability, I recommend the following steps:

Explicit Path Specification: Always use a full path when loading DLLs to
ensure the application loads the correct DLL from the intended location.
Safe DLL Loading: Implement the use of the LOAD_LIBRARY_SEARCH_SYSTEM32
flag or similar secure methods when using functions like LoadLibrary or
LoadLibraryEx.
Manifests and Dependency Management: Use embedded manifests with the
dependency element to specify the paths of required DLLs.
Monitoring and Logging: Implement mechanisms to detect and alert on any
unexpected or unauthorized DLL loading events.
User Education: As this is an open-source project, it might be beneficial
to inform users about the risks of downloading and executing files from
untrusted sources.

5. Conclusion:

The identified DLL Hijacking vulnerability poses a significant risk to
users of Cygwin during the installation and executing the setup-x86_64.exe
<https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe>. I urge you to address this issue
promptly. I'm available for any further clarification or assistance in
addressing the vulnerability

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I appreciate the hard work
you put into maintaining and improving open-source projects for the
community.Best regards,
Submitted by:
Suman Kumar Chakraborty
LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/suman-chakraborty-b857901b1/

* VULNERABILITY REPORT: DLL Hijacking Vulnerability in CygWin setup-x86_64.exe
@ 2023-09-28 11:50 ` Suman Chakraborty
From: Suman Chakraborty @ 2023-09-28 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2024-02-02  9:24 Suman Chakraborty