* how to start properly the X server at session start without the X menu?
@ 2015-12-20  6:08 Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2015-12-20  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I used to have the X server launched automatically when I start a new
windows session (windows 7). I had the following shortcut in my
Startup folder
Target: C:\Softs\cygwin64\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
/usr/bin/startxwin.exe
Start in: C:\Softs\cygwin64\bin

Then I was able to start any X program from command line. That woked
fine. By the way it seems that the DISPLAY environment variable was
127.0.0.1:0.0.

This does not work anymore.

I have found that in Cygwin-X menu, there is an Xwin Server shortcut
with the following:
Target: C:\Softs\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
"cd; /usr/bin/startxwin"
Start in: C:\Softs\cygwin64

This seems to work differently:
- the DISPLAY variable has to be just :0 to work from command line,
- there is an additionnal tray icon with X menu with many applications.

I do not want the menu and I would like to have again the X server
started automatically without manually change the DISPLAY variable.
How can I come back to the old behavior?

Regards,

Frédéric

* Re: how to start properly the X server at session start without the X menu?
@ 2015-12-20  7:00 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-12-20  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 20/12/2015 07:07, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to have the X server launched automatically when I start a new
> windows session (windows 7). I had the following shortcut in my
> Startup folder
> Target: C:\Softs\cygwin64\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
> /usr/bin/startxwin.exe
> Start in: C:\Softs\cygwin64\bin
>
> Then I was able to start any X program from command line. That woked
> fine. By the way it seems that the DISPLAY environment variable was
> 127.0.0.1:0.0.
>
> This does not work anymore.
>
> I have found that in Cygwin-X menu, there is an Xwin Server shortcut
> with the following:
> Target: C:\Softs\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
> "cd; /usr/bin/startxwin"
> Start in: C:\Softs\cygwin64
>
> This seems to work differently:
> - the DISPLAY variable has to be just :0 to work from command line,
> - there is an additionnal tray icon with X menu with many applications.
>
> I do not want the menu and I would like to have again the X server
> started automatically without manually change the DISPLAY variable.
> How can I come back to the old behavior?

If you set DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 than you need
   startxwin -listen
as '-nolisten tcp' is now the default

"startxwin.exe" was replaced by the script "startxwin"
for that the old shurtcut was replaced by the new one.

If extra program are started that you don't want
looks on the contents of
  ".startxwinrc"

Further reading:
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-10/msg00111.html
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html

> Regards,
>
> Frédéric

Regards
Marco

* Re: how to start properly the X server at session start without the X menu?
@ 2015-12-22 20:55   ` Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2015-12-22 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you, very useful.
I changed the DISPLAY variable to :0.0 in the .bashrc and it works
again. I do not remember why I had 127.0.0.1:0.0 before.
The -listen option does not work: the X server is started and stopped
immediately.
Concerning the .startxwinrc, I was not able to find what to change, so
I will leave with it. At least, my X server is back again.

@ 2015-12-22 21:12     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-12-22 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 22/12/2015 21:55, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> Thank you, very useful.
> I changed the DISPLAY variable to :0.0 in the .bashrc and it works
> again. I do not remember why I had 127.0.0.1:0.0 before.
> The -listen option does not work: the X server is started and stopped
> immediately.
> Concerning the .startxwinrc, I was not able to find what to change, so
> I will leave with it. At least, my X server is back again.
> Frédéric

.startxwinrc is optional, you can also move it away.

* Re: how to start properly the X server at session start without the X menu?
@ 2015-12-23  1:03     ` Jim Reisert AD1C
From: Jim Reisert AD1C @ 2015-12-23  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Frédéric Bron wrote:

> I changed the DISPLAY variable to :0.0 in the .bashrc and it works
> again. I do not remember why I had 127.0.0.1:0.0 before.

This may be a problem in the future if your X server starts on a
sequence number other than 0.0. That can happen if the X server does
not exit cleanly, leaving its lock file in the /tmp directory.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us