* How can I completely remove Perl 5.22?
@ 2015-10-28  0:34 Jim Reisert AD1C
From: Jim Reisert AD1C @ 2015-10-28  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I am having some problems trying to make ActiveState Perl and Cygwin
Perl 5.22 co-exist.  I currently have a Perl program that uses the Tk
library, which I am unable to compile using the ActiveState PDK.  I am
pretty sure it was working before I upgraded Cygwin Perl to version
5.22.  My current thinking is to backtrack to Cygwin Perl 5.14 and see
if I can make the two co-habitate again.

Other than un-installing Cygwin Perl, how can I ensure that all CPAN
and/or compiled libraries/modules are also removed (most likely in my
Cygwin home directory)?  I realize that parts of Perl are needed for
the Cygwin base install.

These are the Cygwin packages that I have installed, that have the
word "perl" in them:

* perl
* perl_autorebase
* perl_base

Thanks - Jim

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us

* Re: How can I completely remove Perl 5.22?
@ 2015-10-28  1:58 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-28  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 27.10.2015 um 18:49 schrieb Jim Reisert AD1C:
> I am having some problems trying to make ActiveState Perl and Cygwin
> Perl 5.22 co-exist.

If they did so in the past, I see no reason why they shouldn't continue
to do so.

> I currently have a Perl program that uses the Tk
> library, which I am unable to compile using the ActiveState PDK.  I am
> pretty sure it was working before I upgraded Cygwin Perl to version
> 5.22.  My current thinking is to backtrack to Cygwin Perl 5.14 and see
> if I can make the two co-habitate again.

I would guess that is merely a temporal coincidence.

> Other than un-installing Cygwin Perl, how can I ensure that all CPAN
> and/or compiled libraries/modules are also removed (most likely in my
> Cygwin home directory)?

Unless you've actively subverted it, Perl knows to keep it's stuff
separate from other versions of Perl that may happen to be installed on
the same machine.

You may have an issue with the search order in PATH, though.

> I realize that parts of Perl are needed for
> the Cygwin base install.

No, not yet.

> These are the Cygwin packages that I have installed, that have the
> word "perl" in them:
>
> * perl
> * perl_autorebase
> * perl_base

None of these packages install anything into your home directory.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)

* Re: How can I completely remove Perl 5.22?
@ 2015-10-28 18:55   ` Jim Reisert AD1C
From: Jim Reisert AD1C @ 2015-10-28 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I did not get time to try to to fix this last night, other than
un-installing all the ActiveState stuff (to eventually re-install).

I noticed a bunch of stuff in my ~/.bashrc file, how much of this is
necessary for Cygwin Perl 5.22?

PATH="/cygdrive/D/Home/perl5/bin${PATH+:}${PATH}"; export PATH;
PERL5LIB="/cygdrive/D/Home/perl5/lib/perl5${PERL5LIB+:}${PERL5LIB}";
export PERL5LIB;
PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT="/cygdrive/D/Home/perl5${PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT+:}${PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT}";
export PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT;
PERL_MB_OPT="--install_base \"/cygdrive/D/Home/perl5\""; export PERL_MB_OPT;
PERL_MM_OPT="INSTALL_BASE=/cygdrive/D/Home/perl5"; export PERL_MM_OPT;

--

@ 2015-10-28 20:38     ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2015-10-28 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C  wrote:
> I did not get time to try to to fix this last night, other than
> un-installing all the ActiveState stuff (to eventually re-install).
>
> I noticed a bunch of stuff in my ~/.bashrc file, how much of this is
> necessary for Cygwin Perl 5.22?
>
> PATH="/cygdrive/D/Home/perl5/bin${PATH+:}${PATH}"; export PATH;
> PERL5LIB="/cygdrive/D/Home/perl5/lib/perl5${PERL5LIB+:}${PERL5LIB}";
> export PERL5LIB;
> PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT="/cygdrive/D/Home/perl5${PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT+:}${PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT}";
> export PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT;
> PERL_MB_OPT="--install_base \"/cygdrive/D/Home/perl5\""; export PERL_MB_OPT;
> PERL_MM_OPT="INSTALL_BASE=/cygdrive/D/Home/perl5"; export PERL_MM_OPT;

I suspect none of it. Those env variables sound like an attempt to
marry some non-Cygwin Perl into Cygwin.

Cygwin Perl lives under /usr/bin; the binary is never in a directory
named perl5/bin :

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=perl5%2Fbin&arch=x86_64

What's in D:\Home\perl5 ?

Csaba

* Re: How can I completely remove Perl 5.22?
@ 2015-10-29  7:43       ` Jim Reisert AD1C
From: Jim Reisert AD1C @ 2015-10-29  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:

> I suspect none of it. Those env variables sound like an attempt to
> marry some non-Cygwin Perl into Cygwin.

Raduly got it right.  I must have had some problem at some point,
added those variables, and got everything all crossed up.  I removed
the variables from my .bashrc file, un-installed ActiveState Perl, and
started fresh.

All seems to be working normally again.  Thanks for the help!

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us