* pip newer version available
@ 2020-11-28 14:18 Csaba Raduly
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2020-11-28 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

Hi all,

I recently installed python27-pip (20.2.2-1) and did a "pip install
grip", and at the end, pip displayed the following warning (or maybe
it's just an advertisement)

WARNING: You are using pip version 20.1.1; however, version 20.2.4 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the
'c:\users\csaba\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\python.exe -m
pip install --upgrade pip
' command.

Is it a good idea doing this upgrade ("behind the back" of the Cygwin
installer), or should I ignore this message until pip 20.2.4 (or
higher) becomes available as a Cygwin package?

Also, why is there a discrepancy between Cygwin's pip version and
pip's own version?

$ which python
/usr/bin/python
$ python -V
Python 2.7.18
$ which pip
/cygdrive/c/Users/Csaba/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python38/Scripts/pip

Whoops!

$ which grip
/cygdrive/c/Users/Csaba/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python38/Scripts/grip

$ find /usr -name pip -type f
$

Check https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fpython27-pip%2Fpython27-pip-20.2.2-1&grep=%5Cbpip%5Cb

$ which pip2
/usr/bin/pip2

Aha!

$ pip2 install grip
... lots of output ...
WARNING: You are using pip version 20.2.2; however, version 20.2.4 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the '/usr/bin/python2.7 -m pip
install --upgrade pip' command.

$ which grip
/usr/bin/grip

Finally, sanity returns. Still, the question remains whether upgrading
pip like this is advisable or not.

Csaba
--
You can get very substantial performance improvements
by not doing the right thing. - Scott Meyers, An Effective C++11/14 Sampler

* Re: pip newer version available
@ 2020-11-28 17:54 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2020-11-28 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/28/2020 9:18 AM, Csaba Raduly via Cygwin wrote:
[I've cut out everything above this in your message, because you appear to have
answered your own questions.  But ask again if I'm misinterpreting.]

> $ which pip2
> /usr/bin/pip2
>
> Aha!
>
> $ pip2 install grip
> ... lots of output ...
> WARNING: You are using pip version 20.2.2; however, version 20.2.4 is available.
> You should consider upgrading via the '/usr/bin/python2.7 -m pip
> install --upgrade pip' command.
>
> $ which grip
> /usr/bin/grip
>
> Finally, sanity returns. Still, the question remains whether upgrading
> pip like this is advisable or not.

I wouldn't.  It just seems like asking for trouble.  I'm sure Marco will upgrade
Cygwin's pip in due course.

By the way, do you really want to be using python2 rather than python3 at this
point?  See

   https://python3statement.org/

Ken

* Re: pip newer version available
@ 2020-11-28 18:27 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-11-28 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 28.11.2020 15:18, Csaba Raduly via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed python27-pip (20.2.2-1) and did a "pip install
> grip", and at the end, pip displayed the following warning (or maybe
> it's just an advertisement)
>

> Finally, sanity returns. Still, the question remains whether upgrading
> pip like this is advisable or not.
>
> Csaba

I suggest to not mix.
Eventually you should also start to use python3

* Re: pip newer version available
@ 2020-11-28 19:05 ` Nicholas Clark
From: Nicholas Clark @ 2020-11-28 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csaba Raduly, cygwin

Your first command used your Windows installation of Python, not Cygwin's.
But it looks like you caught that.

To your question about upgrading pip in Cygwin, it's not usually a good
idea to overwrite any distro-provided packages. That's true on Linux and on
Cygwin as well.

But if you want access to some newer Python packages (or access to packages
that Cygwin doesn't provide), pip has a --user flag that will install
packages into your home directory instead of into your global Python
installation. That's a good way to install/upgrade packages without
breaking anything system-wide.

-Nick