* libav or ffmpeg and associated tools
@ 2016-06-16 16:03 Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2016-06-16 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi.

I have noticed a lack of ffmpeg and/or libav and associated tools on
Cygwin. It would be nice to have them.

But I am not going to try and package them, sorry. :)

--
VH

* Re: libav or ffmpeg and associated tools
@ 2016-06-16 18:12 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-06-16 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16/06/2016 14:44, Václav Haisman wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have noticed a lack of ffmpeg and/or libav and associated tools on
> Cygwin. It would be nice to have them.
>
> But I am not going to try and package them, sorry. :)

same reason as fedora...

http://rpmfusion.org/FAQ#Why_doesn.27t_the_Fedora_project_ship_the_Software_that_RPM_Fusion_offers.3F

* Re: libav or ffmpeg and associated tools
@ 2016-06-17  3:18   ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2016-06-17  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16/06/16 13:49, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 16/06/2016 14:44, Václav Haisman wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have noticed a lack of ffmpeg and/or libav and associated tools on
>> Cygwin. It would be nice to have them.
>>
>> But I am not going to try and package them, sorry. :)
>>

> same reason as fedora...
>
> http://rpmfusion.org/FAQ#Why_doesn.27t_the_Fedora_project_ship_the_Software_that_RPM_Fusion_offers.3F

ffmpeg-2.6.3 is available in CygwinPorts.
http://cygwinports.org/

Dave.

* Re: libav or ffmpeg and associated tools
@ 2016-06-20  7:13     ` Brian Mathis
From: Brian Mathis @ 2016-06-20  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is there any reason not to use the native Windows build instead?  What
does the cygwin port gain you over that?

@ 2016-06-20 12:56       ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2016-06-20 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19 June 2016 at 23:51, Brian Mathis wrote:
> Is there any reason not to use the native Windows build instead?  What
> does the cygwin port gain you over that?

I know I could use Windows native tools. That is not the point, however. I
want Cygwin tools because I use Cygwin and I want the tools to understand
POSIX paths.

--

@ 2016-06-21  4:20       ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2016-06-21  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19/06/16 22:51, Brian Mathis wrote:
> Is there any reason not to use the native Windows build instead?  What
> does the cygwin port gain you over that?

Other that the obvious difference of Windows and POSIX paths, there will
be differences in the way the two versions of ffmpeg are built. This
means that two builds of ffmpeg may well support different sets of file
formats. For each, try:

     ffmpeg -codecs
     ffmpeg -formats

and see which build best meets your needs.

Dave.