From: J M <cesarjorgemartinez@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Howto request an upgrade for keychain package
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:07:47 +0200	[thread overview]

El vie., 19 abr. 2024 21:19, Brian Inglis via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
escribió:

> On 2024-04-19 08:53, J M via Cygwin wrote:
> > El jue., 18 abr. 2024 20:10, J M <cesarjorgemartinez@gmail.com>
> escribió:
> >> I'm having some problems (gpg2, and some for ssh management) with
> keychain
> >> package: https://www.cygwin.com/packages/summary/keychain.html
> >>
> >> It version is 2.7.1, can be upgraded to, by example the last 2.8.5?
> >>
> >> It is here: https://github.com/funtoo/keychain/tree/2.8.5
>
> > Fow now, I implement a very weird implementation to fix this (very old
> > keychain version) in pseudocode:
> >
> > If I am inside Cygwin and keychain version is 2.7.1 then:
> > curl -L -o /usr/bin/keychain
> > https://raw.githubusercontent.com/funtoo/keychain/2.8.5/keychain
> >
> > But it is a weird workaround, you can upgrade this package? If not exists
> > any security problem clearly...
>
> The upstream repo has not been updated since 2018.
> You might be better finding a more modern, secure, compatible login
> manager like
> gnome-keyring or KDE kwalletmanager, or improved process like using known
> hosts
> and authorized keys files to limit access.

Hi Brian,

Yes, I know gnome-keyring or for the kde, but keychain not depends for X11,
and installs multiple packages not used.
The keychain is the better for text mode and lightweight. Has not been
updated since 2018 (I see that are finding maintainers), but work well and
support for GPG2. The actual is very old 2013...
Improve solution is not an option.
The Cygwin has the possibility to select exact versions and can be live two
versions.

Regards