* Accessing outside datasets?
@ 2023-05-07  3:44 Bernard Rich
From: Bernard Rich @ 2023-05-07  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 Hello, I have read the introductory advice but still do not understand how
to access datasets stored on *C:* or on flash drives. Can you please point
me to the correct reference or email me the instructions?
Thanks,
Bernard Rich

* Re: [QUAR] Accessing outside datasets?
@ 2023-05-07 10:50 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2023-05-07 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Rich, cygwin

On 5/6/2023 11:44 PM, Bernard Rich via Cygwin wrote:
>   Hello, I have read the introductory advice but still do not understand how
> to access datasets stored on *C:* or on flash drives. Can you please point
> me to the correct reference or email me the instructions?

You can give a full path starting with /cygdrive/c in place of the C:. Then
replace every \ in a Windows path with a /.  Quote the whole thing if it has
spaces or strange characters in it.

Alternatively you can use the cygpath program to convert a Windows path to
a cygwin one.  For example:

cygpath -ua 'C:\Users\moss'

results in

/cygdrive/c/Users/moss

Note the quoting to avoid the usual interpretation of \ by the cygwin shell.

This can be used in a command, e.g.,: ls $(cygpath -ua 'C:\Users\moss')

man cygpath will tell you all about the program.  HTH -- EM

* Re: [QUAR] Accessing outside datasets?
@ 2023-05-07 17:01   ` Bernard Rich
From: Bernard Rich @ 2023-05-07 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss; +Cc: cygwin