* Question about packaging and cygport
@ 2019-06-28 10:56 Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2019-06-28 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

Hello,

In the context of the PLplot project (plplot.sf.net) we are interested
in the details of how software is packaged for Cygwin, in particular
how CMake is packaged (development of this package is rather fast and
we attempt to keep up with it, so that we can clean up the various
workarounds).

To better understand the process, we would like to know, how packaging
is arranged - is that via "cygport" files? And if so, what is the
authorative location of these files (notably cmake.cygport)? If some
other method is used, could you enllighten us about the actual
process?

Regards,

Arjen

* Re: Question about packaging and cygport
@ 2019-06-28 11:20 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-06-28 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjen Markus, cygwin

Greetings, Arjen Markus!

> Hello,

> In the context of the PLplot project (plplot.sf.net) we are interested
> in the details of how software is packaged for Cygwin, in particular
> how CMake is packaged (development of this package is rather fast and
> we attempt to keep up with it, so that we can clean up the various
> workarounds).

> To better understand the process, we would like to know, how packaging
> is arranged - is that via "cygport" files? And if so, what is the
> authorative location of these files (notably cmake.cygport)? If some
> other method is used, could you enllighten us about the actual
> process?

.cygport file is an instruction about assembling (and publishing) Cygwin
package.
Why do you need to package cmake ? If not, what cmake.cygport does in your
question?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Question about packaging and cygport
@ 2019-06-28 13:02 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2019-06-28 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 at 11:56, Arjen Markus wrote:
> In the context of the PLplot project (plplot.sf.net) we are interested
> in the details of how software is packaged for Cygwin, in particular
> how CMake is packaged (development of this package is rather fast and
> we attempt to keep up with it, so that we can clean up the various
> workarounds).
>
> To better understand the process, we would like to know, how packaging
> is arranged - is that via "cygport" files? And if so, what is the
> authorative location of these files (notably cmake.cygport)? If some
> other method is used, could you enllighten us about the actual
> process?

Cygport provides a way for maintainers to build packages that are
compatible with the Cygwin package distribution tools, so most
maintainers use it, but I think there are still a few packages that
are maintained without cygport; provided maintainers upload packages
that are compatible with the package distribution tools used by the
Cygwin project, maintainers are free to use whatever tools they like.
In the specific case of cmake, that package does use cygport, but it's
not guaranteed that all packages will.

The only authoritative source of these files will be the source
package downloads you can get through the Cygwin installer, by ticking
the "Src?" box in the setup-(x86|x86_64).exe installer. Those are only
guaranteed to include the source code itself, but for any package
using cygport, you can expect they'll also include the cygport file
and any associated files. There's no general repository for the
packaging tools and configuration other than that which maintainers
have uploaded to provide via the packaging distribution mirrors. Some
maintainers will keep their cygport files on GitHub or similar (I do),
but that's entirely down to the preferences of the individual
maintainer, and I don't know where – or even if – the cmake cygport
files are available anywhere else.

Adam

* Re: Question about packaging and cygport
@ 2019-06-28 13:13   ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2019-06-28 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

Ah, thanks a lot - I will pass on this information to my
co-maintainer. I did find
https://github.com/tkelman/cygwin-cmake/blob/master/cmake.cygport but
I do not know what its status is or even if it has any ;).

Regards,

Arjen

@ 2019-06-28 13:51   ` Houder
From: Houder @ 2019-06-28 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 14:01:45, Adam Dinwoodie  wrote:
[snip]

> have uploaded to provide via the packaging distribution mirrors. Some
> maintainers will keep their cygport files on GitHub or similar (I do),
> but that's entirely down to the preferences of the individual
> maintainer, and I don't know where or even if the cmake-cygport
> files are available anywhere else.

?

Pick a Cygwin mirror

 - https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html

e.g. "Twente" and select cmake (the pkg we are talking about):

 - http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/cygwin/x86_64/release/cmake/

Look for the tarrballs that terminate w/ -src.tar.xz. If the package has
a .cygport file, you will find it in the source tarballs.

Henri

* Re: Question about packaging and cygport
@ 2019-06-28 14:01     ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2019-06-28 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

Thanks - got it. Another piece of information to forward :).

Regards,

Arjen

@ 2019-07-01 12:40     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2019-07-01 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 28.06.2019 um 15:13 schrieb Arjen Markus:
> Ah, thanks a lot - I will pass on this information to my
> co-maintainer. I did find
> https://github.com/tkelman/cygwin-cmake/blob/master/cmake.cygport but
> I do not know what its status is or even if it has any ;).
>
> Regards,
>
> Arjen

I am uploading the cmake 3.14.5 package for cygwin
If you have problem in building in building plplot let me know.

regards
Marco

---

* Re: Question about packaging and cygport
@ 2019-07-01 12:41       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2019-07-01 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 28.06.2019 um 16:01 schrieb Arjen Markus:
> Thanks - got it. Another piece of information to forward :).
>
> Regards,
>
> Arjen

please Arjen,
bottom posting and trim on this mailing list

---

* Re: Question about packaging and cygport
@ 2019-07-01 12:51         ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2019-07-01 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

Hi Marco,

Op ma 1 jul. 2019 om 14:41 schreef Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com>:

> please Arjen,
> bottom posting and trim on this mailing list

Oops, Gmail is hiding the original mail from me under three dots. I
will try and keep this in mind. (It also persists in showing a name it
picked up at one point with the cygwin mail address and I have no idea
how or even if I can correct that. It may only be on my side of the
mail communication.)

As for CMake: I will let you know.

@ 2019-07-08  4:23           ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2019-07-08  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

Hi Marco,

I just tried building PLplot with CMake 3.14.5 and got this error message:

-- OCTAVE_VERSION = 4.2.2
-- OCTAVE_LIBRARIES = /usr/lib/octave/4.2.2/liboctave.dll.a
-- OCTINTERP_LIBRARIES = /usr/lib/octave/4.2.2/liboctinterp.dll.a
-- OCTAVE_INCLUDE_PATH =
/usr/include;/usr/include/octave-4.2.2;/usr/include/octave-4.2.2/octave
-- Start determining consistent system data for Tcl and friends
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.14.5/Modules/FindTclsh.cmake:93:
  Parse error.  Expected a command name, got unterminated bracket with text
  ".rst:

Looking at some other "Find*.cmake" files I guess this line is missing:

#]=======================================================================]

@ 2019-07-08  9:01             ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2019-07-08  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

Op ma 8 jul. 2019 om 06:23 schreef Arjen Markus <arjen.markus895@gmail.com>:

> Hi Marco,
>
> I just tried building PLplot with CMake 3.14.5 and got this error message:
>
> -- OCTAVE_VERSION = 4.2.2
> -- OCTAVE_LIBRARIES = /usr/lib/octave/4.2.2/liboctave.dll.a
> -- OCTINTERP_LIBRARIES = /usr/lib/octave/4.2.2/liboctinterp.dll.a
> -- OCTAVE_INCLUDE_PATH =
> /usr/include;/usr/include/octave-4.2.2;/usr/include/octave-4.2.2/octave
> -- Start determining consistent system data for Tcl and friends
> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.14.5/Modules/FindTclsh.cmake:93:
>   Parse error.  Expected a command name, got unterminated bracket with text
>   ".rst:
>
> Looking at some other "Find*.cmake" files I guess this line is missing:
>
> #]=======================================================================]
>
> Regards,
>
> Arjen

Yes, after adding this line, it all worked fine.

@ 2019-07-08 12:36               ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2019-07-08 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 08.07.2019 um 11:00 schrieb Arjen Markus:
> Op ma 8 jul. 2019 om 06:23 schreef Arjen Markus <arjen.markus895@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi Marco,
>>
>> I just tried building PLplot with CMake 3.14.5 and got this error message:
>>
>> -- OCTAVE_VERSION = 4.2.2
>> -- OCTAVE_LIBRARIES = /usr/lib/octave/4.2.2/liboctave.dll.a
>> -- OCTINTERP_LIBRARIES = /usr/lib/octave/4.2.2/liboctinterp.dll.a
>> -- OCTAVE_INCLUDE_PATH =
>> /usr/include;/usr/include/octave-4.2.2;/usr/include/octave-4.2.2/octave
>> -- Start determining consistent system data for Tcl and friends
>> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.14.5/Modules/FindTclsh.cmake:93:
>>    Parse error.  Expected a command name, got unterminated bracket with text
>>    ".rst:
>>
>> Looking at some other "Find*.cmake" files I guess this line is missing:
>>
>> #]=======================================================================]

this line is present at line 4 of the file.
Have you by chance modified it ?

>> Regards,
>>
>> Arjen
>
> Yes, after adding this line, it all worked fine.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arjen

regards
MArco

---

* Re: Question about packaging and cygport
@ 2019-07-08 13:04                 ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2019-07-08 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

Op ma 8 jul. 2019 om 14:36 schreef Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com>:

> this line is present at line 4 of the file.
> Have you by chance modified it ?

No, the line I posted appears to be the closing line for the
comment/documentation. It is present in other such files, but was not
in the copy in my installation.

I noticed that an earlier version, directly from the CMake download,
had an extra comment there, specific to Cygwin:

#[=======================================================================[.rst:
FindTclsh
---------

Find tclsh

This module finds if TCL is installed and determines where the include
files and libraries are.  It also determines what the name of the
library is.  This code sets the following variables:

::

  TCLSH_FOUND = TRUE if tclsh has been found
  TCL_TCLSH = the path to the tclsh executable

In cygwin, look for the cygwin version first.  Don't look for it later
to avoid finding the cygwin version on a Win32 build.
#]=======================================================================]

if(CYGWIN)
  find_program(TCL_TCLSH NAMES cygtclsh83 cygtclsh80)
endif()

@ 2019-07-08 18:32           ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-07-08 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-07-01 06:51, Arjen Markus wrote:
> Op ma 1 jul. 2019 om 14:41 schreef Marco Atzeri:
> Oops, Gmail is hiding the original mail from me under three dots. I
> will try and keep this in mind. (It also persists in showing a name it
> picked up at one point with the cygwin mail address and I have no idea
> how or even if I can correct that. It may only be on my side of the
> mail communication.)

No, you are addressing - Andrey Repin <cygwin@cygwin.com> - you can fix that in
your Gmail address book in the Contacts list:

	https://support.google.com/mail/thread/5549719?hl=en

* Re: Question about packaging and cygport
@ 2019-07-09  6:40             ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2019-07-09  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis, cygwin

Op ma 8 jul. 2019 om 20:32 schreef Brian Inglis
<Brian.Inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca>:

> No, you are addressing - Andrey Repin <cygwin@cygwin.com> - you can fix that in
> your Gmail address book in the Contacts list:
>
>         https://support.google.com/mail/thread/5549719?hl=en
>
> --

Thank you - I had no idea how to correct that, but with that link it
was relatively easy ;).

Regards,

Arjen