* run.exe xemacs - no window appears
@ 2011-11-11  7:14 Bootleg Eighty Six
From: Bootleg Eighty Six @ 2011-11-11  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I am trying to run the cygwin port of Xemacs on Windows XP without a
console window.
I tried this command but the window didn't appear. However I could see
the process running in TaskManager.
>c:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/xemacs

Then tried this version of the command and it worked.
>c:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/xemacs

I'm just wondering what the difference between the two.

Thanks.
>systeminfo
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version:                5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
>cygcheck -c  | egrep -i "run|xemacs"
base-cygwin              3.0-1                      OK
cygrunsrv                1.34-1                     OK
cygutils                 1.4.6-1                    OK
cygwin                   1.7.9-1                    OK
cygwin-doc               1.7-1                      OK
run                      1.1.13-1                   OK
xemacs                   21.5.28-3                  OK
xemacs-emacs-common      21.5.28-3                  OK
xemacs-mule-sumo         2007-04-27-1               OK

--
bootleg86

* Re: run.exe xemacs - no window appears
@ 2011-11-11  9:07 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-11-11  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Nov 11 15:14, Bootleg Eighty Six wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run the cygwin port of Xemacs on Windows XP without a
> console window.
> I tried this command but the window didn't appear. However I could see
> the process running in TaskManager.
> >c:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/xemacs

I just tried it on XP and W7, and `run xemacs' from a shortcut or
console window works as expected.

It fails for me in the same way as you describe if I have the DISPLAY
variable set in my environment.  Quite expectedly.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: run.exe xemacs - no window appears
@ 2011-11-11  9:29 ` Bootleg Eighty Six
From: Bootleg Eighty Six @ 2011-11-11  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Strange.