* A Bug related to ImageTk in Python on Cygwin
@ 2021-10-19 10:11 Friedrich Romstedt
From: Friedrich Romstedt @ 2021-10-19 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Some months ago (in August 2021) I tried using ImageTk in Python on
Cygwin and stumbled over a dysfunction.  To help tracking down the
issue I wrote up an HTML document and uploaded it to
https://github.com/friedrichromstedt/bughunting-02.  There is a
minimal Test Case included in this github repo.

I updated my whole Cygwin installation just this moment and found the
behaviour unchanged with respect to what I've observed that time.

Any pointer would be very much appreciated.

Best,
Friedrich

* Re: A Bug related to ImageTk in Python on Cygwin
@ 2021-10-19 13:41 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-10-19 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/19/2021 6:11 AM, Friedrich Romstedt via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some months ago (in August 2021) I tried using ImageTk in Python on
> Cygwin and stumbled over a dysfunction.  To help tracking down the
> issue I wrote up an HTML document and uploaded it to
> https://github.com/friedrichromstedt/bughunting-02.  There is a
> minimal Test Case included in this github repo.
>
> I updated my whole Cygwin installation just this moment and found the
> behaviour unchanged with respect to what I've observed that time.
>
> Any pointer would be very much appreciated.

This is a long shot, but I see that you use harfbuzz and freetype2.  An issue
was just observed with the latest builds of those two packages:

   https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-October/249610.html

I'm in the process of rebuilding them.  Please try again once the rebuilds are
announced (probably later today).

Ken

* Re: A Bug related to ImageTk in Python on Cygwin
@ 2021-10-19 14:15   ` Friedrich Romstedt
From: Friedrich Romstedt @ 2021-10-19 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: cygwin

Am Di., 19. Okt. 2021 um 15:41 Uhr schrieb Ken Brown via Cygwin
<cygwin@cygwin.com>:

> On 10/19/2021 6:11 AM, Friedrich Romstedt via Cygwin wrote:
> > Some months ago (in August 2021) I tried using ImageTk in Python on
> > Cygwin and stumbled over a dysfunction.  To help tracking down the
> > issue I wrote up an HTML document and uploaded it to
> > https://github.com/friedrichromstedt/bughunting-02.  There is a
> > minimal Test Case included in this github repo.
> >
> > I updated my whole Cygwin installation just this moment and found the
> > behaviour unchanged with respect to what I've observed that time.
> >
> > Any pointer would be very much appreciated.
>
> This is a long shot, but I see that you use harfbuzz and freetype2.  An issue
> was just observed with the latest builds of those two packages:
>
>    https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-October/249610.html

Okay, I'll try:

-   To downgrade harfbuzz and/or freetype2 if the Cygwin package
database allows to do so;

-   Remove the resp. devel packages and try to rebuild Pillow without them.

However, I most probably won't be able to do so before Thursday.

> I'm in the process of rebuilding them.  Please try again once the rebuilds are
> announced (probably later today).

If possible I'll try also to upgrade to your new versions (on Thursday).

Notice that my problem lasts since (at least) August 2021.

@ 2021-10-21  6:41     ` Friedrich Romstedt
From: Friedrich Romstedt @ 2021-10-21  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: cygwin

Hi,

Am Di., 19. Okt. 2021 um 16:15 Uhr schrieb Friedrich Romstedt
<friedrichromstedt@gmail.com>:

> If possible I'll try also to upgrade to your new versions (on Thursday).

Tried to; it didn't help.  The problem persists with exactly the same
error message.

@ 2021-10-21  8:58     ` Friedrich Romstedt
From: Friedrich Romstedt @ 2021-10-21  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: cygwin

Hi again,

Am Di., 19. Okt. 2021 um 16:15 Uhr schrieb Friedrich Romstedt
<friedrichromstedt@gmail.com>:

> Okay, I'll try:
>
> -   To downgrade harfbuzz and/or freetype2 if the Cygwin package
> database allows to do so;
>
> -   Remove the resp. devel packages and try to rebuild Pillow without them.

I did both; it didn't solve the problem either.  My findings of today
in the matter are accessible via
https://github.com/friedrichromstedt/bughunting-02#upgrading-freetype2-and-harfbuzz.
Maybe my notes help in finding a clue about what is going wrong.

The most significant conclusion I can make is that it seems the
problem is *not* freetype2 or harfbuzz related, because the error
persists also when building Pillow *without* the freetype2 and
harfbuzz devel packages (see
https://github.com/friedrichromstedt/bughunting-02#building-pillow-without-freetype2-and-harfbuzz).
Unfortunately, I cannot really verify that Pillow detects freetype2
and harfbuzz as *missing* (from the existing logs).

Maybe I should consult Pillow Upstream?

@ 2021-10-21 10:27 ` Russell VT
From: Russell VT @ 2021-10-21 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Friedrich Romstedt; +Cc: cygwin

I'll just throw out the obvious "is it plugged in" type question... but,
are we to assume you have a fully functional X Server and Client working on
your Cygwin install? Any particular desktop/window manager? Have you tried
others? Did you compile it yourself, or did you install the package
directly from the distro?

Sorry, sometimes the "oops" questions can help... and, it helps those
interested in reproducing it. (but, I will confess I didn't actually go
READ the bug - which, admittedly, is another "is it plugged in" type
query... LOL)

RVT

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 3:13 AM Friedrich Romstedt via Cygwin <
cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some months ago (in August 2021) I tried using ImageTk in Python on
> Cygwin and stumbled over a dysfunction.  To help tracking down the
> issue I wrote up an HTML document and uploaded it to
> https://github.com/friedrichromstedt/bughunting-02.  There is a
> minimal Test Case included in this github repo.
>
> I updated my whole Cygwin installation just this moment and found the
> behaviour unchanged with respect to what I've observed that time.
>
> Any pointer would be very much appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Friedrich
>
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Russell M. Van Tassell <russellvt@gmail.com>

* Re: A Bug related to ImageTk in Python on Cygwin
@ 2021-10-22  5:34   ` Friedrich Romstedt
From: Friedrich Romstedt @ 2021-10-22  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell VT; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Russell,

Am Do., 21. Okt. 2021 um 12:27 Uhr schrieb Russell VT <russellvt@gmail.com>:

> I'll just throw out the obvious "is it plugged in" type question... but,
> are we to assume you have a fully functional X Server and Client working on your Cygwin install?

Yes, definitely.  I can do:

$ python
>>> import tkinter
>>> tk = tkinter.Tk()
>>> tk.mainloop()

and it properly produces an empty Tk window.

> Any particular desktop/window manager? Have you tried others? Did you compile it yourself, or did you install the package directly from the distro?

None, just vanilla Windows 10 Pro (64-bit).

> Sorry, sometimes the "oops" questions can help...

Yes, sometimes it can.

> and, it helps those interested in reproducing it. (but, I will confess I didn't actually go READ the bug - which, admittedly, is another "is it plugged in" type query... LOL)

Maybe it is.

@ 2021-10-25  9:06       ` Friedrich Romstedt
From: Friedrich Romstedt @ 2021-10-25  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: cygwin

Am Do., 21. Okt. 2021 um 10:58 Uhr schrieb Friedrich Romstedt
<friedrichromstedt@gmail.com>:

> Maybe I should consult Pillow Upstream?

Just half an hour ago I filed an Issue with Pillow:
https://github.com/python-pillow/Pillow/issues/5795, hoping for
additional input.

-Friedrich