* Compile win64 filesys kernel module only with Cygwin tools?
@ 2023-08-09 19:17 Wendy Lin
From: Wendy Lin @ 2023-08-09 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin-developers

How can I compile
https://github.com/microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/main/filesys/cdfs
with Cygwin gcc?

Compiling the individual *.c files might be easy, but how do I LINK
this to a *.sys module which can be loaded into the Windows 10 64bit
kernel?

Wendy

* Re: Compile win64 filesys kernel module only with Cygwin tools?
@ 2023-08-09 20:03 ` Hans-Bernhard Bröker
From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker @ 2023-08-09 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 09.08.2023 um 21:17 schrieb Wendy Lin via Cygwin:
> How can I compile
> https://github.com/microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/main/filesys/cdfs
> with Cygwin gcc?

You should not be trying to do that.

That's deeply system-specific Windows code.  It has nothing to with
POSIX, Cygwin or anything like that.

For that you need a native Windows toolchain, and quite possibly some
extra SDK packages from Microsoft to enable building them.  MinGW64
(wether stand-alone, or the MSYS(2) hosted one, or the one hosted in
Cygwin) might be able to do it.

* Re: Compile win64 filesys kernel module only with Cygwin tools?
@ 2023-08-09 22:59   ` Wendy Lin
From: Wendy Lin @ 2023-08-09 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 9 Aug 2023 at 22:04, Hans-Bernhard Bröker via Cygwin
<cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Am 09.08.2023 um 21:17 schrieb Wendy Lin via Cygwin:
> > How can I compile
> > https://github.com/microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/main/filesys/cdfs
> > with Cygwin gcc?
>
> You should not be trying to do that.
>
> That's deeply system-specific Windows code.  It has nothing to with
> POSIX, Cygwin or anything like that.

I really don't care. I really want to RUN AWAY (CRYING!!) from having
to depend on Visual Studio 2019 or later. I can't even find C:\WinDDK\
with Visual Studio 2019 anymore, after updating from Windows 8. I'm
almost crying about it.

Also, we want CI, and that is not going to happen with the Visual
Studio Community edition.

> For that you need a native Windows toolchain, and quite possibly some
> extra SDK packages from Microsoft to enable building them.  MinGW64
> (wether stand-alone, or the MSYS(2) hosted one, or the one hosted in
> Cygwin) might be able to do it.

So, MinGW64 would work? Which compiler and linker options do I have to
use, which libraries do I link against etc?

@ 2023-08-10 12:42   ` Martin Wege
From: Martin Wege @ 2023-08-10 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Bernhard Bröker, cygwin

On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 10:04 PM Hans-Bernhard Bröker via Cygwin
<cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Am 09.08.2023 um 21:17 schrieb Wendy Lin via Cygwin:
> > How can I compile
> > https://github.com/microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/main/filesys/cdfs
> > with Cygwin gcc?
>
> You should not be trying to do that.
>
> That's deeply system-specific Windows code.  It has nothing to with
> POSIX, Cygwin or anything like that.
>
> For that you need a native Windows toolchain, and quite possibly some
> extra SDK packages from Microsoft to enable building them.  MinGW64
> (wether stand-alone, or the MSYS(2) hosted one, or the one hosted in
> Cygwin) might be able to do it.

I'd be very interested in this idea to (build *.sys kernel module with
minGW64). Has anyone ever tried to do that? Just from Googling PDB
(Windows Debug File Format) files will be absent, but that is all,
right?

Thanks,
Martin

* Re: Compile win64 filesys kernel module only with Cygwin tools?
@ 2023-08-10 19:50     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-08-10 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Wendy Lin

On 2023-08-09 16:59, Wendy Lin via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2023 at 22:04, Hans-Bernhard Bröker via Cygwin
> <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am 09.08.2023 um 21:17 schrieb Wendy Lin via Cygwin:
>>> How can I compile
>>> https://github.com/microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/main/filesys/cdfs
>>> with Cygwin gcc?
>>
>> You should not be trying to do that.
>>
>> That's deeply system-specific Windows code.  It has nothing to with
>> POSIX, Cygwin or anything like that.
>
> I really don't care. I really want to RUN AWAY (CRYING!!) from having
> to depend on Visual Studio 2019 or later. I can't even find C:\WinDDK\
> with Visual Studio 2019 anymore, after updating from Windows 8. I'm
> almost crying about it.
>
> Also, we want CI, and that is not going to happen with the Visual
> Studio Community edition.
>
>> For that you need a native Windows toolchain, and quite possibly some
>> extra SDK packages from Microsoft to enable building them.  MinGW64
>> (wether stand-alone, or the MSYS(2) hosted one, or the one hosted in
>> Cygwin) might be able to do it.
>
> So, MinGW64 would work? Which compiler and linker options do I have to
> use, which libraries do I link against etc?

http://support.fccps.cz/download/adv/frr/win32_ddk_mingw/win32_ddk_mingw.html

https://github.com/utoni/mingw-w64-dpp

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry