From: Russell VT <russellvt@gmail.com>
To: Friedrich Romstedt <friedrichromstedt@gmail.com>
Cc: cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: virtualenv 20.2.2-1 dependencies: filelock and distlib
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 02:30:37 -0700	[thread overview]

Well, it's been a hot minute since I've used virtualenv, by itself... but,
generally you're going to want to use "mkvirtualenv" and related tools to
create and then access your Python libraries (often under the
projects 'venv' directory).Your mileage may vary, trying to invoke it
directly from the command line with a module argument.

Myself, I tend to like to distance my Python environments from the
Operating System version(s)... and I use pyenv
<https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv> with pyenv-virtualenv
<https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv-virtualenv>, and then provided I have a
decent compiler environment, you can install Python from distribution
(though, full disclosure and in all fairness, I've had a few issues with
non-standard directory locations for things like ffi/cffi (IIRC), when
compiling newer Python versions (though I've not checked, recently).

Hope that helps in some way.

Russell M. Van Tassell <russellvt@gmail.com>